X-Trail After Market Suspension

Submitted: Monday, Oct 13, 2003 at 18:07
ThreadID: 7790 Views:7729 Replies:3 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All I am going down the track of firmer coils and a small height increase for our X-Trail. Has anyone out there already tackled this?
So far I have found, TJM series 2000, Ironman and Kings Springs all offer stronger coils with a height increase of of 30mm over standard
I am leaning towards ironman, has anyone got any views on them?
All companies say that springs are designed to work with O/E shocks and other suspension parts. I am concerned of the impact of the height increase on shocks. Could I
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: MarkFC - Tuesday, Oct 14, 2003 at 07:23

Tuesday, Oct 14, 2003 at 07:23
Hi Darryl

I made some enquiries about 6 months ago (before buying a new house), so you can guess which type of expense got pushed to the bottom of the "must have" list!

I was told that the shocks would be fine to leave as is, and I could get between 15 & 30mm increase in ride height with springs alone. You can get an extra 7 - 8mm by fitting larger diameter tyres (remember that you can only increase the diameter by 15mm legally). I am looking at 215/75/15 or 225/70/15 "A/T's" when the Toyo's need replacing.

I would be interested in knowing how the results turn out.

Regards

Mark FC

Sunshine Coast
AnswerID: 33688

Follow Up By: Darryl - Wednesday, Oct 15, 2003 at 09:34

Wednesday, Oct 15, 2003 at 09:34
Iam new to this, letting you know I have responded

Regards Darryl
FollowupID: 24331

Reply By: Member - Colin (ACT region) - Tuesday, Oct 14, 2003 at 15:34

Tuesday, Oct 14, 2003 at 15:34
I have fitted Fulcrum/Kings 25mm increased height + increased rate springs in my '98 Forester. I was keen to get the increased 'rate' to 'support' the camp gear etc. The only problem with increasing height with springs is the loss of down travel ! The other options are a lift kit or blocks on top of strut.
I would like to get higher profile tyres next time (currently using 205/70 x 15 Bridgestone A/T) as well, but I think 75 profile is hard to get ??Subaru Forester
size isn't everything !
AnswerID: 33744

Follow Up By: Darryl - Wednesday, Oct 15, 2003 at 09:37

Wednesday, Oct 15, 2003 at 09:37
I've done it wrong but I have responded
FollowupID: 24333

Reply By: Darryl - Wednesday, Oct 15, 2003 at 09:23

Wednesday, Oct 15, 2003 at 09:23
Thanks for your responses guys. Mark, we are also on the Sunny Coast, Marcus Beach, you anywhere close by? How do you find your X-Trail? We have been on trips to Longreach and Tassie as well as camping trips up Double Island Point and in forrestry areas in the Sunny coast hinterland. Our Ti auto has handled all in its stride!
Like colin I would like the springs for carrying the camping goodies load and some extra height. Colin has the less downward travel because of the lift been a problem in off-road conditions? This is where I am concerned that the extra lift may leave the suspension lacking in off-road conditions wher you need the most travel.
I'm still not sure!

Regards Darryl
AnswerID: 33850

Follow Up By: Member - Colin (ACT region) - Wednesday, Oct 15, 2003 at 16:54

Wednesday, Oct 15, 2003 at 16:54
Darryl
In regard to reduction of downward suspension travel with increased spring height. No, I don't beleive it has been a problem - I have taken the car to a few 'awkward' places and it certainly hasen't stopped me. Obviously our smaller 'softroad' cars have their limitations in any form. The newer model Foresters have an increased ride height so springs with just an increase in 'rate' together with an A/T tyre of higher profile would be a sufficient modification - same for an XTrail I imagine?Subaru Forester
size isn't everything !
FollowupID: 24385

Follow Up By: MarkFC - Wednesday, Oct 15, 2003 at 21:19

Wednesday, Oct 15, 2003 at 21:19
Hi Darryl

We live at Kureelpa (just before Mapleton).

I purchased an ST Auto for my wife at Christmas last year. I added some alloys so I didn't have to look at the ugly standard wheel trims.

The car is driven by my wife during the week on school and shopping duty, and I get to drive it on the weekends. We think it is a great car and are very happy with it.

We have been up to Teewah / DI a few times, been on a few trips through the State Forests near home, and have just come back from a week at Woodgate Beach. I did some beach and sand track driving up there, with some of it fairly heavy going. There are so many places to visit now but never enough time to see them all. We haven't been up to Rainbow Beach for a while either.

I will put some "A/T"'s on the car when the Toyo's have worn out, and I would like to get some springs to take out the "roll" in the ride and handling, I am just a bit hesitant with warranty issues though.

I have had some discussions with the manager at TS4wd on Sugar Road (Maroochydore) about suspension mods for the XTrail, you might like to drop in and see him, I found him good to talk to.

Let me know if you find out anything more.

Mark FC
FollowupID: 24439

Sponsored Links