Train Transport

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 21, 2010 at 20:46
ThreadID: 77908 Views:2678 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Guys
We are back from a great time in Broome thanks for all your help, would recomend it to anyone.
We are now looking at traveling to Darwin in july holidays for 2 weeks, would love to take Prado and Trak Shak there but the cost of diesel is too high, we can fly there cheaper but 4WD hire is hard to get. i was wondering what the cos of puting both on the train and flying up to meet it, has anyone done it before and what would the cost be. its a long way to drive up and back and have a good look in only 2 weeks, i have tried to work out disel cost of driving up but i think it would be around $550 - $600. any thoughts would be appreciated.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Mark E (VIC) - Wednesday, Apr 21, 2010 at 22:15

Wednesday, Apr 21, 2010 at 22:15
Brenton,

I have looked into this before and it just doesn't add up, cost wise. Also they won't take the car and trailer loaded. Everything must be empty....some rubbish about insurance or something.

There are limited truck carriers that will do it, but I don't think it will be cheaper than driving.

Good luck in your research. Hope you do better than I did..... in the end I just left a couple of days earlier and drove, whilst the family flew over to meet me. It was the best way to maximise our time.

Cheers,

Mark
AnswerID: 413842

Reply By: carlsp - Thursday, Apr 22, 2010 at 08:10

Thursday, Apr 22, 2010 at 08:10
I think there is something with the Ghan. You an take your vehicle for not much more than the cost of ticket. The ticket cost is however a far bit but for just you it might work out.

Not to mention when driving, you do not get ot see much and this way, it is relaxing and you see the country.
AnswerID: 413866

Reply By: vk1dx - Thursday, Apr 22, 2010 at 08:42

Thursday, Apr 22, 2010 at 08:42
We have taken our car on the Indian Pacific and the Ghan and its going on the Queenslander to Cairns at the start of our Cape York trip later this year. The Ghan and IP require you to travel Gold Kangaroo which is not cheap. The car goes for $300 SA to NT and $100 NT to SA.Well that was what it was last year.

Its a top ride and we even saw a puddle of water in the Finke. I get an excellent discount and that's mainly why we took the train. But here are a bundle of conditions. Read this: The Ghan Motorail service.

A bit from Great Souther Rail site

The train stops for several hours at both Alice Springs and Katherine so if you have seen those two places then the stop can be boring.

En experience in the bush with 6 star luxury. We had a ball.

Phil
AnswerID: 413873

Reply By: vk1dx - Thursday, Apr 22, 2010 at 08:45

Thursday, Apr 22, 2010 at 08:45
We have taken our car on the Indian Pacific and the Ghan and its going on the Queenslander to Cairns at the start of our Cape York trip later this year. The Ghan and IP require you to travel Gold Kangaroo which is not cheap. The car goes for $300 SA to NT and $100 NT to SA.Well that was what it was last year.

Its a top ride and we even saw a puddle of water in the Finke. I get an excellent discount and that's mainly why we took the train. But here are a bundle of conditions. Read this: The Ghan Motorail service.

A bit from Great Souther Rail site You can find more at http://www.gsr.com.au/site/the_ghan.jsp

The train stops for several hours at both Alice Springs and Katherine so if you have seen those two places then the stop can be boring.

An experience in the bush with 6 star luxury. We had a ball.

Phil
AnswerID: 413874

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Thursday, Apr 22, 2010 at 08:45

Thursday, Apr 22, 2010 at 08:45
Two lots. Now thats strange!!! Computers!!!!
FollowupID: 684063

Sponsored Links