Best way to Mt Augustus Kennedy Ranges ,Karijini and Millstream.

Submitted: Thursday, Apr 22, 2010 at 20:44
ThreadID: 77931 Views:5886 Replies:6 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Heading off shortly from Bunbury and wondering if some of our seasoned travellers out there may know the best route to get to the above places and also the best camping places when we get there.Towing an offroad Coromal 401 van and need to use a generator about every second night.Have been advised that from Tom Price to Millstream it may be worth following the rail line{Re tinto owned?] for a small fee payed at the Tom Price visitor center.Not in a hurry and also interested in good places to stay on the way up .Stayed at Kirkalocka first night on the way to the Gibb last year and that was quite interesting.

Back to the coast then to catch a few fish on the way home.

Thanks to all that reply.

Regards Graeme.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Kanga1 - Thursday, Apr 22, 2010 at 21:11

Thursday, Apr 22, 2010 at 21:11
Hi Graeme, we have been through there a few times, see road conditions section on this site I filled in a bit on there last year. Your van is OK for corrugated roads, then the best way from Mt Augustus through to Tom Price is via Pingandy, Dooley Downs over to the Ashburton Meekatharra road, from memory wash some speed off as you approach the dips/creek crossings, some of them were a bit iffy. See the tourist info in Tom Price for your learning experience and permit to drive on the HI rail access road. Nice country through there, plenty of spots to camp. The marker for the high water when the Ashburton River flooded is a bit of an eye opener when you have a look around. Regards Kanga.
Tempus Fugit

Kanga.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 413949

Reply By: Member - Bentaxle - Thursday, Apr 22, 2010 at 21:42

Thursday, Apr 22, 2010 at 21:42
Graeme It would pay to check, but I read in Autumn Edition #74 of Western 4WDriver that Mt Augustus Resort has been closed and as a result there is no camping or fuel available.
Mike
May the fleas of a thousand afghan camels infect the crutch of your enemy and may their arms be too short to scratch.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 413955

Follow Up By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Thursday, Apr 22, 2010 at 22:13

Thursday, Apr 22, 2010 at 22:13
A fortnight ago the Resort was still closed and no camping from what I could see. Cobra has fuel and camping. Ashburton Dooley downs Rd good.

Kennedy Ranges is a great spot and camping was only available at Temple Gorge.

Choice is either the coast up to Carnation and then east to Kennedy Ranges then north to Mt Augustus. Plenty of wide sandy creek crossings nut of late very little rain.

Ashburton Rd last year was better than most highways.

As stated above some of the floodways are a tad bighty ie they can be rough. The dips are worse.

Read and comply with the signage.

Guy I work with just did the Karajini to Millstream to Dampier route via Wittenoom and he towed an on-road van and had no probs he also said Millstream was great.

Enjoy the trip.
Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 684181

Follow Up By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Thursday, Apr 22, 2010 at 23:42

Thursday, Apr 22, 2010 at 23:42
Ok spell ceck is a funny thing - Carnation should be Carnarvon and
Temple Gorge was the designated camping ground when i was last there.
Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 684195

Reply By: Member - Phantom (WA) - Thursday, Apr 22, 2010 at 23:30

Thursday, Apr 22, 2010 at 23:30
Hi Graeme,
I did that trip from Mandurah late last year so if you are interested I can give you some detail. MM me if you like. Great trip!

Steve
AnswerID: 413965

Reply By: Mick O - Friday, Apr 23, 2010 at 07:20

Friday, Apr 23, 2010 at 07:20
Greame,

my write-ups of the trip you intend. No worries with the Coromal. We towed a largish camper trailer.

Mick

Canarvan to Kennedy Ranges

Kennedy to Mt Augustus

Augustus to Newman via the station country
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 413972

Reply By: Member - Rod N (QLD) - Friday, Apr 23, 2010 at 08:00

Friday, Apr 23, 2010 at 08:00
We are looking at going that way in Aug. Thanks for the info.
See also this recent thread Gascoyne_Junction_to_Tom_Price
AnswerID: 413983

Reply By: BundyLuva76 - Friday, Apr 23, 2010 at 09:56

Friday, Apr 23, 2010 at 09:56
Crossing Pool campground at Millstream is beautiful. BBQ's, deep swimming hole, lots of shade and clean long drop dunny's.
AnswerID: 414000

Sponsored Links