canning stock route calvert range access

We intend travelling CSR from 1/5/10 & wanted permit to access calvert range. Just received confirmation that access permits to the calvert range will not be issued until further notice. See info below

Mark

We have finally received advice regarding the issue of permits to visit the Calvert Range. The following statement explains the situation. I realise that this is not the news you would have preferred, but trust that you will understand and respect the wishes of the Martu people.

Regards

Richard Taylor

Request for Permit to Visit the Calvert Ranges

We apologise for the delay in responding to your request for a permit to visit the Calvert Ranges. The following statement has been issued by WDLAC on this matter.

Kurukanti (the Calvert Ranges) is an area of great cultural significance to the Martu people.

In the last decade, there has been a rapidly escalating level of tourism into the Calvert Ranges. From probably no visitors in the mid-1990’s, and from a handful of people only a few years ago, by 2009 over 400 vehicles and 1000 people were visiting the Ranges in a year.

The great majority of these people visited in a three month period, from June to August.

Due to a lack of resources, there has been no capacity to manage this concentrated tourist load. The majority of tourists have respected the requests of the traditional owners by seeking permits to enter the Ranges and by limiting the impact of their visits. However, the scale of the unmanaged tourist load has now led to a range of issues in the Calvert Ranges and surrounding area that will quite quickly cause permanent deterioration if tourism continues in its current form.

The impact of the substantially increased visitor numbers has included:

Accidental and at times deliberate damage by visitors to cultural sites;
fire in the gorges around the Calvert Ranges, causing damage to cultural sites;
removal of artifacts, including grindstones, from campsites around the Ranges;
chainsawing of trees around campsites;
removal of barriers limiting access to special sites;
publication of restricted images from the rock art in magazines, on DVDs and on the internet;
proliferation of tracks to and from the Calvert Ranges;
an increasing number of cleared campsites close to the Ranges;
an increasing load of rubbish, faeces and toilet paper around campsites close to the Ranges.
The Calvert Ranges fall within the Martu native title determination area. Land within that area is held on trust for Martu people by the Western Desert Lands Aboriginal Corporation (Jamukurnu, Yapalikunu), also known as WDLAC.

Due to the need to protect the cultural and environmental values of this important area, WDLAC has decided that no permits will be issued to visit the Calvert Ranges and surrounding areas until further notice.

This decision is intended to allow appropriate management plans and resources to be put in place, to ensure that sites in and around the Calvert Ranges can be properly protected, whilst allowing travelers to experience the sites in a culturally appropriate manner.

Over the past two years, the Martu have worked in conjunction with a large research team to document the values of this area, and to assess the impact of the high visitor load. That research team has included representatives from the Australian National University, the Commonwealth Department of the Environment, Heritage Water and the Arts, the WA Department of Indigenous Affairs, the WA Department of Environment and Conservation and Central Desert Native Title Services. This research team supports the action WDLAC has taken to protect this area.

WDLAC, on behalf of the Martu people, ask that travelers along the Canning Stock Route and other 4WD travelers respect their wishes, and help in the effort to protect this special area. They ask that travelers show their support by not visiting the Calvert Ranges until further notice, and by not using tracks to the Calvert Ranges area.

If travelers should pass through and not see the Calvert track closed off on the side of the Canning Stock Route, it is because signs and barriers are being organised, and not because the road is open. We request travelers to respect Martu wishes and remain on the Canning Stock Route track.

Your assistance will help management practices to be put into place, so that this important part of Australia’s cultural heritage can be protected.

If you have any enquiries, please contact Philip Haydock of the Western Desert Lands Aboriginal Corporation on 08 9486 9797 or at phaydock@wdlac.com.au .

Richard Taylor

Financial Manager, Kanyirninpa Jukurrpa

Parnngurr 08 9176 9740

0417 891 011

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Shaker - Friday, Apr 23, 2010 at 16:31

Friday, Apr 23, 2010 at 16:31
Unfortunately it is of no surprise, all of the above have been perpetrated in the High Country, so there no reason why the same bogans wouldn't do the same in the Outback.
We were shocked at the amount of rubbish & fuel drums etc. that was left along the CSR as well as the Simpson Desert.
Sadly, a brain is a prerequiste for education, so therein lies the problem!

AnswerID: 414054

Reply By: Richard W (NSW) - Friday, Apr 23, 2010 at 19:22

Friday, Apr 23, 2010 at 19:22
Thanks for the heads up.
Won't follow up my application till May.
I expect there will be no chance of the infrastructure being put in place this year so it looks like we'll save some fuel. :(
AnswerID: 414064

Reply By: Member - TonBon (NSW) - Saturday, Apr 24, 2010 at 06:16

Saturday, Apr 24, 2010 at 06:16
If only half of what they say is true, i cant blame them. The whole situation is just sad.
AnswerID: 414100

Reply By: Shaker - Saturday, Apr 24, 2010 at 09:48

Saturday, Apr 24, 2010 at 09:48
I am amazed at how little response this thread has had.
I sincerely hope that there is no underlying reason.
AnswerID: 414113

Reply By: FC - Saturday, Apr 24, 2010 at 16:39

Saturday, Apr 24, 2010 at 16:39
I was in the Calvert Ranges last year and was privileged to be given access by the Martu peoples. There are wonders there that I have not seen anywhere else in Oz, but I also felt it to be a very vulnerable area. It is a cultural treasure that needs to be protected and 'policed'. Enroute there I came across travelers who had an attitude that ignored the wishes of the traditional owners of the land they were traveling in, and planned to visit prohibited sacred sites, regardless. They saw it as their right! Unfortunately, there seems to be more and more of these tourists who spoil it for everyone else. Hopefully, a sustainable Management Plan can be developed and implemented for this very special area. It must also be adequately funded and resourced by government, both State and Federal. Once that happens, we can perhaps look forward again to gaining access to the Calvert Ranges though perhaps on a more restricted basis so that the living cultural heritage of the land and it's peoples are not endangered or threatened.
AnswerID: 414142

Reply By: Member - landieman65 (WA) - Thursday, Apr 29, 2010 at 17:29

Thursday, Apr 29, 2010 at 17:29
I fully agree that there is always going to be the ignorant idiot factor when it comes to respecting not only these important cultural sites but the country in general hopefully with time & education things will improve. No matter what restrictions are put in place there will always be the odd person that will disregard these & cause grief for the rest of us

It is a pity we australians cant visit parts of our land we wish to visit without all these restrictions. As a long term resident of the north west Pilbara region it would be nice if many of the Martu people that live in or visit Newman ( the place I live) practiced what they preached & treated our town as they expect others to treat their sacred sites.
AnswerID: 414729

Sponsored Links