Anzac day

Submitted: Saturday, Apr 24, 2010 at 20:04
ThreadID: 77975 Views:2079 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

I've set the alarm and am off to the dawn service tomorrow. Its good to see the younger generation getting more and more interested in remembrance and not just a day off.

Cheers Wilko
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Axle - Saturday, Apr 24, 2010 at 20:50

Saturday, Apr 24, 2010 at 20:50
Good on you Wilko!, Yes the younger generation seem to have developed a mature outlook about Anzac Day in recent years. My ten year old Grandson marches with his dad and both wear medals of the great grandads that served in both wars, He is starting to relize what it is all about.

Cheers Axle.
AnswerID: 414170

Reply By: The Landy - Saturday, Apr 24, 2010 at 21:49

Saturday, Apr 24, 2010 at 21:49
“Your deeds have won you a place in the Temple of the Immortals. The world has hailed you as heroes. On the shining wings of your glorious valour you have inspired us to a newer and better and nobler concept of life; and the deathless deeds of the valiant dead will yet be sung to generations of Australians to the end of time. The story of the Gallipoli campaign has shown that through self-sacrifice alone can men or a nation be saved. And since it has evoked this pure and noble spirit, who should say that this dreadful war was wholly evil, now that in a world saturated with a lust of material things, comes the sweet, purifying breath of self-sacrifice?”

Billy Hughes, on 25 April 1916:
AnswerID: 414175

Reply By: landed eagle - Saturday, Apr 24, 2010 at 22:01

Saturday, Apr 24, 2010 at 22:01
My daughter (14) played the Last Post (on the bugle) at her high school's service on Friday.
My son (12) is marching and playing trumpet in the Naval Cadet brass band for the Anzac Day service in Hobart.
Watching the kids at the high school on Friday a'noon you can see the respect that the younger generation have for the people who have served our country over the years.
'Tis good to see.
AnswerID: 414176

Reply By: Jude&theboys - Sunday, Apr 25, 2010 at 12:00

Sunday, Apr 25, 2010 at 12:00
I didn't attempt to go - ever tired to get a lively 4yr old to stand still & quiet? which is why I was grateful that the cub scouts had a sleepover at the hall and then went to the local dawn service together. My oldest (8) went to his first dawn service this morning, he is starting to get an idea of what it is all about. And I'm told they were all very good.
AnswerID: 414202

Reply By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Sunday, Apr 25, 2010 at 13:48

Sunday, Apr 25, 2010 at 13:48
Let's not forget those who served on ACTIVE SERVICE between the Vietnam War and Iraq 2003/Afganistan, who are otherwise forgotten in the ANZAC Service (well at least where I was),
Balkans;
Cambodia;
East Timor;
Iraq (the 1st time);
Kuwait;
Namibia;
Rwanda; and
Somalia.

Great people serve for OUR country and I hope OUR efforts for a better life has been worth the pain and sacrifice we have done for you the people of AUSTRALIA.

Lest We Forget

Cheers Kev

AASM, Interfet, DFM

Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 414212

Sponsored Links