Inside track

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 25, 2010 at 08:17
ThreadID: 77981 Views:2658 Replies:2 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Seeing that the inside track and the Warburton Crossing appears to be out for some time. To get to the K1 there is a track shown on Natmaps that deviates off the inside track about 30 K's south of Alton Downs. This track goes to the west and appears to skirt around the sand dunes and has a junction with the Yelpawaraline track. Does anyone know if it is a station track or is it accessable way to get to the K1.
Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Sunday, Apr 25, 2010 at 10:01

Sunday, Apr 25, 2010 at 10:01
Lindsay, no, there is no access. When were you planning on travelling? As you are probably aware - this area is still flooded and will be for some time. There is another flush coming down the Diamantina at the moment and is presently at Monkira (due to rain north of Winton recently).
AnswerID: 414191

Follow Up By: lindsay - Sunday, Apr 25, 2010 at 11:48

Sunday, Apr 25, 2010 at 11:48
Thanks Ruth, planning to leave northern Victoria on July 12 th. so be there about a week later. Was planning to go via Innamincka, Walkers Crossing and the Warburton. We have to do a fuel drop at Madigans camp 15 or so for a couple of bikes going across the Madigan line. I really don't want to go over the dunes to Poeppels as I have done that 4 times and really want to go up the K1.
Do you have any idea when the Walkers Crossing will be clear?
Thanks.
FollowupID: 684415

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Sunday, Apr 25, 2010 at 19:22

Sunday, Apr 25, 2010 at 19:22
Lindsay, I assume your have Plans A, B, C etc....... one of which would be to go to the west and enter from there and go up the Hay or the other way around but I wouldn't count on Walkers, K1, Birdsville Track, it might happen but I wouldn't be counting on it.
If you happened to see Ernie Dingo on Ch 7's Sunday Night just a while ago it might give you some idea of how wet everywhere is.
FollowupID: 684454

Follow Up By: Member Dick (Int) - Sunday, Apr 25, 2010 at 20:51

Sunday, Apr 25, 2010 at 20:51
Hi Ruth

Are you in Birdsville now? If so what is the water situation there at the moment.

Regards
Dick

Cheers
Dick

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 684468

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Monday, Apr 26, 2010 at 09:13

Monday, Apr 26, 2010 at 09:13
Hello Dick, how are things going? Just replied via your 2007 email - hope it gets to you - if not email me please? Ruth
FollowupID: 684526

Reply By: Ozhumvee - Sunday, Apr 25, 2010 at 12:19

Sunday, Apr 25, 2010 at 12:19
The other week there was a post discussing the track closure possibilities for the area from various parties with local contacts.
Re the Warburton and access from the south it was thought that as it was last year the warburton crossing would be closed for the duration as there had been more water this year and as Ruth said it is still coming.
Going on past experiences it may be that even access via the QAA could be out till late in the season either around your proposed date or even later.
If the water stays around you may have to do a loop from the west as is the case at the moment or obtain permits for the Hay river track and head up to Jervois for fuel.
Might have to keep a very flexible itinerary ;-))
AnswerID: 414204

Sponsored Links