mitsubishi triton

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 25, 2010 at 09:33
ThreadID: 77984 Views:19346 Replies:6 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
does anyone out there have an opinion on the new 2.5L GL/R Triton? We would be using it for towing a Jayco Hawk outback and some decent 4wding without the camper on the back. Seems to be better value for money than the equivalent priced Hilux. Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: chris_s - Sunday, Apr 25, 2010 at 09:47

Sunday, Apr 25, 2010 at 09:47
I have a new GLR and am very happy with the way it handles. It is car like to drive on the blacktop, but has great 4wd ability with its traction control.
I don't tow anything at the moment (no tow bar), but plan to get a Vista RV when I retire in a couple of years (Gross weight 1500Kg). The truck has a towing capacity of 2700Kg so should handle this easily.
Have a look here: http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/
There are many members on the sight that tow things. What is the overall weight of the camper?
AnswerID: 414186

Follow Up By: Amanda2271 - Sunday, Apr 25, 2010 at 10:10

Sunday, Apr 25, 2010 at 10:10
Thanks chris.. I am already a member of newtriton.net. Our camper weighs about 1500kg fully laden so should have no problems towing. My main concern is that not many people on this forum seem to have Mitsubishis and there may be a good reason for this, I am yet to find it.
FollowupID: 684411

Follow Up By: chris_s - Sunday, Apr 25, 2010 at 11:11

Sunday, Apr 25, 2010 at 11:11
Both triton and hilux have had their problems according to the different posts on newhilux.net & newtriton.net.
I'm a member of both forums & was about to buy a hilux but extra expense, probs with diffs, no front free wheeling hubs, and poorer (less protection with no side/curtain airbags and stability control or traction control) crash ratings put me onto the triton.
FollowupID: 684413

Reply By: landseka - Sunday, Apr 25, 2010 at 10:23

Sunday, Apr 25, 2010 at 10:23
We purchased a new MN GLX-R Triton a couple of weeks ago. Friend wanted to buy our '07 ML GLX-R 3.2L Triton and offered us a price we couldn't refuse. :)

The ML Triton comfortably towed our 2 tonne caravan with no problems. Haven't towed the caravan with the MN yet (will be doing that in 2 weeks time) but don't expect to have any problems at all with it. Apart from that, am very happy with the handling, power, fuel consumption etc.

As has been suggested by Chris, try http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/viewforum.php?f=17 you'll find heaps of help and info on there. :)

Cheers

Neil
AnswerID: 414193

Follow Up By: Member - mazcan - Sunday, Apr 25, 2010 at 12:35

Sunday, Apr 25, 2010 at 12:35
hi
i have tried unsuccessfully serveral times to register as required to go onto the newtriton .net site and find it is fautly
and also cant make contact with the admin
so not much help to new want to be users
cheers
FollowupID: 684418

Follow Up By: landseka - Sunday, Apr 25, 2010 at 19:18

Sunday, Apr 25, 2010 at 19:18
Hi Mazcan

If you're still having problems registering on the newtriton.net forum you can email admin direct at -

info@4wdnetwork.com.au

Cheers

FollowupID: 684453

Follow Up By: Member - mazcan - Monday, Apr 26, 2010 at 12:57

Monday, Apr 26, 2010 at 12:57
hi landseka
thanks for the help i will try again
cheers
FollowupID: 684544

Reply By: TerraFirma - Sunday, Apr 25, 2010 at 11:30

Sunday, Apr 25, 2010 at 11:30
The 5 year warranty is really handy. I'm a Hilux owner and I had to replace injectors just outside of the warranty period. Having said I believe the Hilux is better built than the Triton but for the money the Mitsubishi is well worth it IMO.

At the end of the day drive the vehicles and make sure your happy with what you want from them.
AnswerID: 414197

Follow Up By: gelatr- Sunday, Apr 25, 2010 at 22:25

Sunday, Apr 25, 2010 at 22:25
As a current owner of a 95 2.5TD Triton, a 2008 GLX - R 3.2 TD Triton, 2008 RAV 4 Cruiser and previous owner of a 2004 V6 GLX Prado I think I can make some informed comment on the difference between Toyota and Mitsubishi build quality. I have taken my 08 Triton towing an off road camper trailer across the Plenty, Tanami, Gibb River Rd, Mitchell Plateau and up to Kalumburu - the car still drives like it is new.

Don’t get me wrong I am also very happy with the build quality of my Toyotas. But to believe that Toyotas are a better quality car is not quite right. The only thing that Toyota has very cleverly done is market the perception that no over 4wd is up to scratch and any other brand is a compromise. When I went to purchase my 08 Triton I tossed and turned for some time between it and a Hilux. In the end I couldn't over-turn the fact that the Triton was simply better value for money. And because I own an older Triton I was satisfied that Mitsubishi could build a decent car.

My advice when buying a vehicle is to consider the features, value for money and other factors relevant to the individual and if that means you purchase a Toyota (as I've done many times) – then great. But always consider the options in the marketplace and don't believe the marketing hyperbole – Toyota makes great cars, but they aren't the only great cars out there.

In closing I don't really want to gloat because there are so many factors that can impact the longevity of injectors but I'm going to say it anyway - my old Triton is coming up to its 15th birthday and it's still running its original injectors.

Cheers
FollowupID: 684490

Follow Up By: Muntoo - Monday, Apr 26, 2010 at 03:52

Monday, Apr 26, 2010 at 03:52
My old Cruiser is 20 years old is still running its original everything, except batteries and belts. 310,000kms and still going strong.

I now drive a BT 50, very happy with it, very very powerful. Still yet to prove its build quality, but everything seems fine so far. 11,000kms.

The missus has had her Mitsi Magna for 10 years and it also owes her nothing but tyres and batteries. The valve stem seals are gone, so its a little smoky(common magna fault), but its never ever given any probs. IMHO, i think Mitsubishi offer the best warranty, and as long as they honour them then they will become the best vehicles very soon. I would have brought a Triton but for $10k more then my BT i couldnt justify it, like the Hilux.

Mazda and Mitsubishi make great cars i believe.
FollowupID: 684514

Reply By: Notso - Sunday, Apr 25, 2010 at 12:59

Sunday, Apr 25, 2010 at 12:59
I've had a 2006 GLXR since Sept 2006.

It is my tow vehicle for a 2 Tonne Van and has performed faultlessly. It is economical, more powerful than most, even some of those that claim more Kilowatts and KNs seem to have trouble keeping up whilst towing.

I have owned 9 vehicles in my life, all different makes. I reckon the next vehicle I buy will be another Mitsubishi Triton.
AnswerID: 414207

Reply By: landed eagle - Sunday, Apr 25, 2010 at 17:16

Sunday, Apr 25, 2010 at 17:16
G'day Amanda
I towed my 16' Expanda Outback from Hobart to Port Douglas and back last year with the ML 3.2 GLX/R Triton.
Didn't miss a beat for the whole trip. We towed through the back of Sydney on our way to Goulburn on Melb Cup Day and the temp was about 42 deg. The Aircon,and the ute, kept going,unlike some of the other makes I have read about on this site whose aircon seems to want to stop when the going gets a bit tough.

Plenty of grunt and never felt as though it was working hard.
I towed our old Jayco Eagle to the caravan dealer when we traded it on the Expanda and didn't know it was on the back .
I don't think you'll go wrong buying one. When I need to update again I'll certainly buy another one.
The backseat is the best in the class as far as my kids are concerned. They sat in all the contenders before we decided which vehicle to buy.
AnswerID: 414230

Follow Up By: landseka - Sunday, Apr 25, 2010 at 17:57

Sunday, Apr 25, 2010 at 17:57
G'day L.E.

Yep, agree with everything you said.

We bought our first ML (3.2L diesel) Triton in 2008 and within the month we were heading out on a 8 month trip towing our caravan around Australia. Did the trip with another couple that had bought a ML (petrol) Triton about the same time as us and they were towing a 16' Poptop.

We traveled over 20,000 km's and both vehicles never missed a beat which is one of the reasons we bought another Triton (didn't even consider another make).

Have found out just recently that the other couple we traveled with have also updated to the new MN 2.5L Triton but diesel this time. They will using it to tow a new 20' caravan. They didn't consider another make either as they were quite happy with the performance of the Triton also.

Cheers
FollowupID: 684439

Follow Up By: landed eagle - Monday, Apr 26, 2010 at 07:00

Monday, Apr 26, 2010 at 07:00
Having the all wheel drive option is great too,especially when wet on tarmac.
FollowupID: 684518

Reply By: Amanda2271 - Monday, Apr 26, 2010 at 17:15

Monday, Apr 26, 2010 at 17:15
Thank you all for taking the time to respond to my question.. looks like the Triton is the way to go. Now we just have to decide on a colour :-)
AnswerID: 414350

Follow Up By: landseka - Tuesday, Apr 27, 2010 at 09:34

Tuesday, Apr 27, 2010 at 09:34
If you are planning to do any 'off-roading' then IMHO white is the ONLY colour. lol

Being non-metalic the inevitable scratches will buff out with a light compound and it always seems to look clean even under road grime, unlike some other colours.

A pinstripe with a graphic breaks the white and looks great.

[img]
[/img]

I wouldn't have any other colour now.

Cheers Neil
FollowupID: 684651

Sponsored Links