Wollongong to Bourke (3days)

Submitted: Monday, Apr 26, 2010 at 09:00
ThreadID: 78004 Views:2745 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Im looking for suggested routes travelling from wollongong to Bourke, looking to camp allong the way as well as visit some "recommended" regional pubs. Want to take our time (3 days), travelling in well setup 4wd.

advice appreciated

thanks Aaron
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Fred G NSW - Monday, Apr 26, 2010 at 09:48

Monday, Apr 26, 2010 at 09:48
G'day Aaron.
Try this route, mostly blacktop, but very scenic and you'll find lots of camp spots. Mostly blacktop whichever way you go from Woollongong.

Go across to Goulburn via Kangaroo Valley, then down to Yass, over to Booroowa, up to Cowra via Wyangala Dam, Canowindra, Molong, Wellington, up to Gulgong, over to Dunedoo (sensational pastry shop), then up to Mendooran. Great free camp here right on the Castlereagh River, can get busy but quite a large area, and right near a beaut old country pub. Then up to Coonabarabran, through the Warrumbungles up to Baradine, Pilliga and Burren Junction, also good free camping here at the thermal springs, then Walgett, Brewarrina, Bourke.

Would be a good, easy run over 3 days and very pretty after all the recent rain.

Geez, almost got myself talked into jumping into the triton and taking off LOL

Anyway, they're my thoughts mate. Good luck, and have a good trip.

Fred.
AnswerID: 414309

Reply By: Member - DOZER- Monday, Apr 26, 2010 at 12:13

Monday, Apr 26, 2010 at 12:13
Aaron, if you decide to go up the blue mountains, Blackheath pub is a nice one....and there is plenty of camping around it, pulpit rock, devils pass with great views of the gross valley..or u can cross the rail lines and drive down into the megalong and camp down there. the pass is much like Macquarie pass.....plenty of tree ferns....then from there you could head towards Jeanolan Caves and pick up the other places mentioned :)
Andrew
AnswerID: 414322

Reply By: Wilko - Monday, Apr 26, 2010 at 19:19

Monday, Apr 26, 2010 at 19:19
Hi Aaron

I'd go via Yass and go thru Cowra. Visit the Gooloogong Pub. Has a great feed and camp ground nearbye.

Head to Parkes Then on to Trundle. The Pub there has the longest veranda and the widest main street in the universe. You will need to pack a packed lunch if you are going to cross it lol.

Head on to the Rabbit trappers in Albert. Stay the night here.

Go to Nyngan then to Byrock pub.

Cheers Wilko
AnswerID: 414374

Reply By: Member - Aaron L (NSW) - Tuesday, Apr 27, 2010 at 17:42

Tuesday, Apr 27, 2010 at 17:42
Hi Guys, thanks for the great suggestions have been checking the map and think I might even extend another day :) cheers Aaron
AnswerID: 414476

Reply By: Tim - Thursday, Apr 29, 2010 at 17:06

Thursday, Apr 29, 2010 at 17:06
If you end up on the black top between Nyngan and Bourke, make sure you stop in at the Byrock Hotel. Its on the highway about 60km out of Bourke, top feed, Pete the publican is a top bloke too.
Where are you looking at staying at Bourke? I think Kidman camp is the pick of them.
Tim
AnswerID: 414724

Sponsored Links