Broken Hill repairs

Submitted: Monday, Apr 26, 2010 at 20:20
ThreadID: 78021 Views:3037 Replies:6 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Well I was warned before I left that the roads in the outback can shake and rattle your car and make things fall off. So here I am having arrived in Broken Hill and 1 of my driving lights has lost the the nut that holds it on and also the tracks that hold my roof rack on have lost a couple of pop rivets.

So for those who know Broken Hill better that me, do you have any suggestions of where I can source the nut and roof rack repair.

Thanks in advance

Regards

Geoff
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: bockstar1 - Monday, Apr 26, 2010 at 21:24

Monday, Apr 26, 2010 at 21:24
In 2008 we were helped out by the guy at BP south Broken Hill. Came to our rescue with a moments notice and fitted auto tranny cooler to the Tribute.

Hope all goes well.
AnswerID: 414393

Reply By: GQueue - Monday, Apr 26, 2010 at 22:11

Monday, Apr 26, 2010 at 22:11
Very friendly folk at the auto parts store near the Mitre 10 in the centre of town - (a quick google shows Sprint) looks like them at 326 Blende St. Helped us out with an electrical problem on a Sunday, before we continued north. Have a good stock of nuts and bolts, and I think may do small repairs as well.

Good luck.
AnswerID: 414401

Reply By: Dave B ( BHQ NSW) - Monday, Apr 26, 2010 at 22:17

Monday, Apr 26, 2010 at 22:17
SouthState Industrial in Blende St between Chloride & Oxide St for the nut and Boltons in Blende St. between Oxide and Iodide opposite Elders for the repair on the roof rack.

Dave
'Wouldn't be dead for quids'

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 414402

Reply By: DIO - Tuesday, Apr 27, 2010 at 09:50

Tuesday, Apr 27, 2010 at 09:50
So, what enquiries have you made so far and have you had any luck ?
AnswerID: 414431

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Tuesday, Apr 27, 2010 at 10:08

Tuesday, Apr 27, 2010 at 10:08
Patience DIO.

Yesterday when he posted his Thread was a public holiday and he's only just got out of bed this morning.

I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 684655

Reply By: Member - Duncs - Tuesday, Apr 27, 2010 at 18:45

Tuesday, Apr 27, 2010 at 18:45
There are a number of very good vehicle repairers in town who would be able to fix all of your problems in one stop.

I would recommend, in no particular order,

Muscats cnr of Cobalt and Bromide Streets

Bridgestone opposite the Plaza.

There is another place where I got parts for my trailer when I was living in town. They are in Newton Lane, which is parallel to the Adelaide Rd and they are about opposite the cemetery. They were very helpful. Supplied a new bracket for my jockey wheel and fitted it for no extra charge, while I waited.

The others mentioned above are pretty good too.

Best of luck
Duncs
AnswerID: 414487

Reply By: 2000 Red Rodeo - Tuesday, Apr 27, 2010 at 20:39

Tuesday, Apr 27, 2010 at 20:39
Thank you all for your suggestions.

I was able to get the nut from Boltons on Blende St. I also had a chat to them about the roof rack.

The roof rack is track mount system. The racks slide into the tracks and then I have a custom basket bolted to the racks. As I mentioned above I have 1 lost pop rivet and 1 loose pop rivet, but there are still 8 other pop rivets holding it onto the roof.

Having had a chat to the people at Boltons they confirmed what I had thought, which was to replace the 2 pop rivets we would need to take everything off the rack, then unbolt the basket and take it off.

So I have decided to live with the slight rattle until I get home. It will be an easy job that I can do once I get home and unpack. But it would be at least a 2 hour job now. With 8 out of the 10 pop rivets still ok we should get home without issue especially (sadly) with the rough outback driving behind us.

Thank you all again for your suggestions

Regards

Geoff
AnswerID: 414499

Sponsored Links