Ironman Suspension

Submitted: Tuesday, Oct 14, 2003 at 02:07
ThreadID: 7805 Views:2653 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,
Just wondering whether any one has any long term experiences with ironman 4x4 suspension, I'm considering using their springs and shocks on my Prado. also what's peoples view of the coil springs that are made to be closer at the top and bottom of the spring (i can't think of the term they use for it)
regards
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Ross- Tuesday, Oct 14, 2003 at 08:14

Tuesday, Oct 14, 2003 at 08:14
No experience with Ironman but as for the springs I think you will find the variation in pitch of the spring is to achieve a variable damping rate i.e. the centre section takes care of the first part of the job followed by the stiffer top and bottom sections under more extreme loadings. Hence you more or less get the benefit of both soft and hard springs.Rosco
AnswerID: 33693

Reply By: GaryInOz (Vic) - Tuesday, Oct 14, 2003 at 09:12

Tuesday, Oct 14, 2003 at 09:12
I have had a bit to do with them. I have been in the process of having 2.5" lifted coils fitted to my Kia Sportage (basically using my vehicle as a test mule for a production kit) and have found them to be helpful. As I have only just had the lift fitted (still ironing out a few bugs) I can't give you a long term assessment other than to say they use rebadged "Tenneco" (sp?) shockers, as do most other suspension suppliers (made in USA and Mexico).

Phone Ironman and have a chat to Kristian Ristell, tell him Gary with the Kia referred you (I DON'T get any money for referring people).
AnswerID: 33699

Reply By: Member - DOZER- Tuesday, Oct 14, 2003 at 12:38

Tuesday, Oct 14, 2003 at 12:38
Iron man springs are made by Lovell (or were) good springs good prices, the variable rate spring gives a compliant ride but is let down when asked to carry large loads, because the ride height lowers till that firm section of the spring takes up. You can also get linear springs meant for load carrying (most of the time) chores. Only heard good about there systems, used their springs but not shox.
Friends have Ralphs in their Patrols and are very happy.
Andrewwheredayathinkwer mike?
AnswerID: 33725

Reply By: Brett - Tuesday, Oct 14, 2003 at 19:16

Tuesday, Oct 14, 2003 at 19:16
I had two sets of their shocks on a Forerunner a few years back. The first set lasted one trip to Isrolite and the second set only got half way to Steep Point once I got off the black top. I personally would not touch them again. Both sets were no more than a week old when they failed and the driving conditions weren't that bad.

You get what you pay for!

Cheers
Brett
AnswerID: 33774

Follow Up By: Play Rough - Wednesday, Oct 15, 2003 at 00:30

Wednesday, Oct 15, 2003 at 00:30
Thanks for the info, I dropped into Brawn 4x4 the owner suggested the E.sumthing.sumthing. shocks(he didn't write the details) that had a three year warranty, he said he was very impressed with them (don't they all?). The price comes close to the ARB OME price that has a 2year warrranty.( a product is only as good as it's warranty).
FollowupID: 24319

Reply By: Bonz (Vic) - Wednesday, Oct 15, 2003 at 17:12

Wednesday, Oct 15, 2003 at 17:12
GQ Maverick, 2" lift, 4 yrs of ironman suspension - excellent price excellent value excellent performanceLaterally Literal
Seriously Cerebral
AnswerID: 33913

Sponsored Links