Gday have BT50 WITH CANOPY
How do you stop dust from entering around the tailgate
thanks in advance

Tony
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Wednesday, Apr 28, 2010 at 19:05

Wednesday, Apr 28, 2010 at 19:05
Hi Tony
Put one of those air vents that faces forward, but do not have it open above speeds over 100 kph. In that way it will act as the same as in your vehicle, pressurising the back of the ute and forcing any air out of the back tailgate.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 414619

Reply By: D200Dug- Wednesday, Apr 28, 2010 at 19:32

Wednesday, Apr 28, 2010 at 19:32
I went to clark rubber and got some soft rubber strips about 4" wide and stuck them round areas that had dust entry.

The positive air works as long as the air coming in trough the roof vent is dust free.

That can be a problem following trucks on outback roads :-)

Soft rubber seals and silicon would be my suggestion.

That reminds me I need to do this to the new ute !
AnswerID: 414622

Reply By: Jacko84 - Wednesday, Apr 28, 2010 at 20:18

Wednesday, Apr 28, 2010 at 20:18
Hi,
i have a D22 navara and i'm pondering the same.....
what i have done is put some velcro along the bottom of the tub and up the sides just inside the tailgate, and also some across the top of the tailgate itself.
i then got a bit of light thickness rubber from good ol' Clark Rubber and, with a bit of creative cutting, cut to suit and stuck the opposite side of the velcro to the rubber, effectivley creating a temporary 'skirt' that sits just inside the tailgate and spans the entire width.
even in the early stages, i can see that it will be better off having the velcro stitched on to the rubber instead of relying entirely on the velcro's adhesive backing. i'm yet to give it a good test but i thought it would be worth while seeing as the materials cost me bugger all and it didnt take long to chuck together.

i was explaining it to a mate and he made a good point - what about river crossings........................ great! not sure that the velcro would be all that water tight!
i guess it depends on how seriously off road your going.
anyway, hope that helps, if you like i can try to put some photos up...

happy travelling,
jackson
AnswerID: 414626

Follow Up By: Jacko84 - Wednesday, Apr 28, 2010 at 20:19

Wednesday, Apr 28, 2010 at 20:19
having said all that, if anyone has any other ideas for both dust and water sealing and wouldnt mind sharing, i'd apreciate greatly!
FollowupID: 684793

Follow Up By: Member - baffle (QLD) - Wednesday, Apr 28, 2010 at 21:15

Wednesday, Apr 28, 2010 at 21:15
Seems that most of the 4wd utes have the same problem. I raised the matter with the Nissan workshop manager and his response was "well it is supposed to be a work vehicle." When I paid almost $50,000 for my D40 I felt that it should at least have a proper seal on the tailgate. Why do we put up with this from slack manufacturers?
FollowupID: 684799

Follow Up By: Fab72 - Thursday, Apr 29, 2010 at 09:58

Thursday, Apr 29, 2010 at 09:58
Baffle....name one manufacturer that can guarentee that the load area of their utes is dust proof, or even water proof for that matter. It's not a Nissan thing. Having worked for both Holden and Toyota, it's the norm.

Think about this. If the ute tray was fully sealed, what would happen everytime it rained and you didn't have your tonneau cover on?

I guess if it hailed, you'd have one hell of a good esky.
FollowupID: 684841

Reply By: chris_s - Wednesday, Apr 28, 2010 at 20:27

Wednesday, Apr 28, 2010 at 20:27
I have the new MN triton. I just had the canopy fitted. I jumped in the back and was shocked at seeing huge gaps all round the edge of the tail-gate. I found a good park directly outside Clark Rubber and had a salesman come out and look at it. Many off-cuts later, we managed to plug all the gaps with contact adhesive and rubber including pinchweld. The round corners at the bottom of the tail gate needed several built up layers of 5mm rubber.
I'll be testing it out this w/e with hopefully a dry and dusty track.
AnswerID: 414628

Follow Up By: landseka - Thursday, Apr 29, 2010 at 10:55

Thursday, Apr 29, 2010 at 10:55
We've just had the Mitsubishi Sports canopy fitted to our new MN Triton and have had the Triton accessory tailgate dust seal kit fitted.

We had it fitted on our previous ML Triton as well.

Although it doesn't keep 100% dust out, it's better than nothing.

Possibly other manufacturers have a dust seal kit for their vehicles also.

FollowupID: 684850

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Wednesday, Apr 28, 2010 at 22:42

Wednesday, Apr 28, 2010 at 22:42
Tony,

You haven't stated which brand of canopy you have but I have just done a test with mine.

I have an ARB canopy fitted to the Colorado and have also installed an ARB canopy vent.

Went to the Flinders Ranges over the ANZAC weekend and did a reasonable amount of dirt track driving.
Absolutely no dust inside the rear of the tailgate at all and no dust anywhere in the canopy.

The vent can be fitted to the front or rear of the canopy and is not affected by a roof rack.

No involvement with ARB apart from being a paying customer.
The vent really does work to pressurize the canopy interior.

Bill.

Image Could Not Be Found

Image Could Not Be Found

Image Could Not Be Found
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

AnswerID: 414639

Follow Up By: Jacko84 - Thursday, Apr 29, 2010 at 11:56

Thursday, Apr 29, 2010 at 11:56
have you ventured through any water crossings/ deep puddles?
FollowupID: 684856

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Thursday, Apr 29, 2010 at 18:49

Thursday, Apr 29, 2010 at 18:49
Jacko84,

Not yet mate.
Still have to fit a snorkel before I attempt that task.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

FollowupID: 684926

Reply By: Ross H (QLD) - Thursday, Apr 29, 2010 at 08:33

Thursday, Apr 29, 2010 at 08:33
What I have done is fit a self-adhesive rubber stip on bottom of tailgate, open roof vent and lock the sliding window on the first notch which leaves it open about 25mm that way you pressurise the canopy and still keep air flow going for fridges. Have been doing this for about 4 years now and get next to no dust inside the canopy.

Regards Rossco
AnswerID: 414660

Reply By: Member - Russnic [NZ] - Thursday, Apr 29, 2010 at 09:58

Thursday, Apr 29, 2010 at 09:58
It is quite simple really, have the air pressure higher inside the vehicle than the outside air pressure, being doing that with tractors ever since you could get them with cabs.
AnswerID: 414671

Reply By: Member -Signman - Thursday, Apr 29, 2010 at 12:19

Thursday, Apr 29, 2010 at 12:19
You don't need much to have even a little bit of 'positive' pressure in the canopy.
On our Rodeo, we had a boat deck vent- dunno the proper name- with an inlet of about 40mm. This worked great.
Have even seen l'il solar powered ones that have a fan to keep pressure in the canopy !!

AnswerID: 414690

Reply By: Wilko - Thursday, Apr 29, 2010 at 15:29

Thursday, Apr 29, 2010 at 15:29
Hi Tony,

You need to ditch the tub and fit a tray back. You could then fit an aluminium canopy with doors either side (not back).

These are a lot easier to dust proof and you get a lot more room to boot and less panels to worry about getting scratched/dented.

Cheers Wilko
AnswerID: 414705

Sponsored Links