Toyotas V8 turbo diesel in a workmate wagon ? Any problems with these ?

Submitted: Thursday, Apr 29, 2010 at 21:24
ThreadID: 78086 Views:6844 Replies:6 FollowUps:14
This Thread has been Archived

Related Pages

G'day to one and all. A mate at work is looking at some Cruiser workmate wagons with the V8 turbo diesel. Are there any problems with these engines or vehicles, as a long term purchase ? We hear people raving about how much power they have. But are they any good ? Thanks in advance for your help. Have a good one.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Wilko - Friday, Apr 30, 2010 at 06:56

Friday, Apr 30, 2010 at 06:56
Hi Bob,

The main prob I have is there isn't one sitting in my drive way lol.

Haven't heard of any probs yet in the mining sector and they certainly give them a thorough "work out".

Cheers Wilko
AnswerID: 414776

Follow Up By: Ozhumvee - Friday, Apr 30, 2010 at 07:02

Friday, Apr 30, 2010 at 07:02
Wilko

There have been a few probs in the mining sector actually. One of the posters on here has had a few engines let go due to the corrosive environment eating through metal coolant pipes from the outside.
Not something that would occur in a privately owned and cared for vehicle though.
What was scary was the amount of work and cost required for normal service items down the track like timing belts, starter motors etc. But I would imagine it would be very similar on most vehicles these days.
FollowupID: 684977

Follow Up By: Rockape - Friday, Apr 30, 2010 at 07:27

Friday, Apr 30, 2010 at 07:27
Pete,
you got up earlier than I did.
FollowupID: 684981

Follow Up By: Wilko - Friday, Apr 30, 2010 at 10:41

Friday, Apr 30, 2010 at 10:41
Hi Rockape,

You U/G guys are hard on gear lol.

Bob, I stand corrected, there is a number of issues with the new V8 Toyotas. Give me the pre electronic motors any day.

Cheers Wilko
FollowupID: 684996

Follow Up By: Rockape - Friday, Apr 30, 2010 at 15:41

Friday, Apr 30, 2010 at 15:41
Can be hard on them Wilko, but the ute I drive is nearly 5yrs old and hasn't got a dent in the body. Original motor 1HZ, diffs, gearbox and tailshafts.

It does have lots and lots of rust though.

This ute will be retired in a couple of months, although I would be happy to keep her.

One thing about u/g mining, if something has a fault it shows up pretty quickly.

Have a good one
FollowupID: 685042

Follow Up By: get outmore - Friday, Apr 30, 2010 at 19:54

Friday, Apr 30, 2010 at 19:54
my utes nearly 3 years old (hzj79)

2 front diffs, abut 4 radiators, 2nd gearbox, both doors new, a coupleof gearbox crossmembers, 3rd set ofsprings, 2nd aircon condenser,

seen a few v8s with the valley cover off, something to do with an oil leak and they have a bit of a habit of just stopping and not going .
probabally not the sort of thing a private vehicle encounters
FollowupID: 685085

Reply By: Rockape - Friday, Apr 30, 2010 at 07:25

Friday, Apr 30, 2010 at 07:25
Bob,
I will give you a run down on our work engines, they are subjected to a harsh environment but are well looked after and the revs are limited.

#1. Some of the engines use oil, I thought they had all stopped using oil after being run in but that is not the case.
#2. Have seizing 3 engines through coolant loss, the sealed radiator being difficult to check, the expansion bottle shows full but the radiator is empty. This can be fixed with a low water alarm.
#3. Have had some injector issues causing engines to get a diesel knock, injectors around $800 each.
#4. Alternators have been seizing due to them being low slung.
#5. A/c compressors have also been seizing.
#6. In the valley under the is a myriad of water pipes, a large egr valve, a fuel cooler and then the starter motor, if you do a starter motor it will cost big bucks just to get to it. This is also where the leaks occurred on the seized engines
#7. Water sits in the valley as it can't drain away.
#8. Fully electronic, if it stops or goes to limp mode you will have to get someone with a diagnostic tool to find out what is wrong, this is fine around town, not so hot in the middle of nowhere. Toyota have also reduced the number of service centers.
#10. One engine went away to Toyota with a very bad knock (not injectors).
It came back repaired with no explanation as to what was wrong with it.

Our V8 engines are performing nowhere near as well as the old 1HZ engines

Here is a photo of what it looks like under the. The EGR valve, fuel cooler and air boxes have been removed from the engine.

Image Could Not Be Found
AnswerID: 414780

Follow Up By: Bob the - Friday, Apr 30, 2010 at 20:17

Friday, Apr 30, 2010 at 20:17
G'day guys, thank for your indepth experienced feedback. much appreciated. will pass it on. thanks, have a good one.
FollowupID: 685093

Reply By: Member - Paul & Bill M (SA) - Friday, Apr 30, 2010 at 18:25

Friday, Apr 30, 2010 at 18:25
Had my 4.5 v8 two and a half years 50000 ks not a problem love it ample power never works hard just ticking over.
Good mileage averaging 11.8 l/100km.
done a bit off everything 4 wise cant fault its ability used a little oil early but none now not much towing. pics on profile.
AnswerID: 414883

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Friday, Apr 30, 2010 at 20:09

Friday, Apr 30, 2010 at 20:09
Hmm seems owners who are happy are in a minority.

Most ( all) negative comments are people who don't own one.

Strange about that.

;-)

FollowupID: 685090

Follow Up By: Rockape - Friday, Apr 30, 2010 at 21:13

Friday, Apr 30, 2010 at 21:13
Bob asked a question, I answered him with what has happened with our work V8's.

He will weigh up wether to buy one or not, I have owned 2 Tojos and I have driven them every day for the last 25 yrs.

The comments aren't negative at all, just truthfull. TOYOTA's have problems the same as other vehicles.

And NO! I won't buy one until they sort out the short comings, I am just lucky enough to get a test drive every day and find out what breaks.

Paul and Bill also answered that they have had no problems, this is fine as they are telling Bob what has happened with their vehicle.

I could start on about our u/g cat trucks, but heaven forbid, don't say anything bad about yellow engined machines, but on the other side our 2900 Cat elfey loaders are great machines.
FollowupID: 685098

Follow Up By: get outmore - Friday, Apr 30, 2010 at 21:22

Friday, Apr 30, 2010 at 21:22
my problem is finding out actually what went wong
- no one cares

the geos say their v8 stopped the other day so i ask what was wrong
- I get looked at like im silly and the answer is "its going now"

even alot of the fitters are short on details

we had a mystery overheating problem with a 1hz and finally after a water pump, 2 radiators, an aircon condensor, a thermostat, 2 rad caps, and a new head it was fixed

I asked what the did and was looked at like I was silly
- turns outthey put chemi weld in (actually it wasnt but same thing)

which seemed to fix it

I walk in and see a v8 withou a valley cover and ask whats wrong I get dunno other guys looking at it or oil leak and thats it

everyones attitude is who cares as long as it goes when it comes back
FollowupID: 685101

Reply By: Member - Flynnie (NSW) - Friday, Apr 30, 2010 at 22:06

Friday, Apr 30, 2010 at 22:06
Bob

This subject has been done to death on this and other forums.

My 2 cents worth.

I have one of those motors in a trayback.

It would not be my choice of motor for underground mining. For that I would probably import South African spec models with the older engines and not road register.

For the rest of us who do not use the vehicle underground and who have to comply with Euro IV emission standards in new vehicles the choices are limited. We could buy (or hold onto) an older model in good condition or we can buy new. My former boss chose to hold onto his earlier model and took it to Africa. A good choice for him. When my time came to buy, the V8s were two years in to their production run and the early problems seemed to have been sorted out.

I would grant there does seem to be a problem with corrosion if exposed to extreme underground conditions (presumably also to very salty environments) and quite expensive and time consuming repairs and servicing but I would doubt the relevance of most of that to the readers of this forum.

If the vehicle is to be used for trekking and touring and rural use few if any problems should be expected except for high servicing costs (Toyota does know how to charge). I know of about 6 V8 traybacks in my area and some are younger and some older than mine. One of the locals is a Toyota mechanic who was a good source of information debunking a lot of the rumours. The one problem I know of was a result of the use of substandard fuel, likely not an automotive grade. Unfortunately one has to be pretty fanatical about fuel quality and filters in any common rail engine.

All the owners I know are very pleased with the V8 (including the bloke who had the fuel problem). I have had no problems with my motor of any sort. The motor has heaps of power and torque in a very wide rev band. It is phenomenal up steep hills . You have to remember some times that you are in a truck and not to try too hard through tight corners. It is not a sports car after all.

Fuel consumption appears to be equal to or less than competing four cylinder turbo diesels. Handy to have the extra grunt without being savaged at the service station.

I have had mine over a year and over 30,000 k. It has done two Simpson Desert crossings and a mix of other travel. I am very pleased with it. It has exceeded my expectations.

The V8 drivers are known for their ear to ear grins while driving them.

Flynnie
AnswerID: 414918

Follow Up By: Bob the - Friday, Apr 30, 2010 at 23:37

Friday, Apr 30, 2010 at 23:37
G'day Flynnie, thanks for your positive feedback, this is the only forum that i am into. I'm a novice with computers and at the moment happy in my small world, I love reading whats going on here and asking for advice when needed, I don't know much about other forums ,or how to access them. I currently drive a petrol V8 cruiser, and I'm grinning...
FollowupID: 685119

Follow Up By: get outmore - Saturday, May 01, 2010 at 00:02

Saturday, May 01, 2010 at 00:02
your dead right - many of the poblems i talk of would only occur after 00s of 000s of ks in private ahns if at all

its not just salty environment but many underground mines including us ore is associated with suphides = sulphuric acid

adding to corrosion due to mineralized water

our vehicles are bathed in that slush 24/7 - washing helps little - let alone the damage running through muddy environment does (kids actually get excited when it rains and seek mud out???? they have NO idea)
FollowupID: 685120

Follow Up By: Member - Flynnie (NSW) - Sunday, May 02, 2010 at 19:33

Sunday, May 02, 2010 at 19:33
Bob

Apologies. My "done to death" remark was out of line.

I have also sent you a member message on this and a bit more info.

Flynnie
FollowupID: 685310

Follow Up By: Bob the - Thursday, May 06, 2010 at 20:05

Thursday, May 06, 2010 at 20:05
G'day Flynniie, I tried to reply to your member message, I clicked on reply and there was nowere to write a message. thanks for taking the time to send a message, I took no offence to your reply, I'm slowly finding my way around internet sites. thanks again. Bob.
FollowupID: 685756

Reply By: disco driver - Friday, Apr 30, 2010 at 22:49

Friday, Apr 30, 2010 at 22:49
Has anyone seen the safety rating for the workmate wagon?
I haven't, and am curious to see how it rates.................... if it has been tested.

Disco
AnswerID: 414926

Follow Up By: Ino - Monday, May 03, 2010 at 00:53

Monday, May 03, 2010 at 00:53
Hmm, let me introduce you to the brand new standard "your car is my crumple zone" :)

Ino
FollowupID: 685343

Reply By: chevypower - Saturday, May 01, 2010 at 06:31

Saturday, May 01, 2010 at 06:31
They would suffer from unintended acceleration, but with that engine you hardly notice :)
AnswerID: 414932

Sponsored Links