led lights wiring

Submitted: Friday, Apr 30, 2010 at 05:02
ThreadID: 78095 Views:9952 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
hi all, can someone please help me with wiring led lights to trailer,basically do i have to earth, earth wire to trailer body, or is it earthed in body of led light if so i just connect to earth wire in 7 pin plug earth wire which i think is earthed in car,any advice would be a big help thanks. ps im bit confused because old bulb lights earth wire was earthed in body of light.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Toyocrusa (NSW) - Friday, Apr 30, 2010 at 06:44

Friday, Apr 30, 2010 at 06:44
Hi. Normally LED lights do have an earth wire.If you mean lights for the rear of the trailer or clearance lights then they should be joined into a common earth that then goes to the trailer plug and back to the vehicle earth. The vehicle earth should go back to the battery, not to the body of the vehicle. Hope that helps. Bob.

AnswerID: 414775

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Friday, Apr 30, 2010 at 07:14

Friday, Apr 30, 2010 at 07:14
Yes, you still need to earth the lights.

There is an easier way however.

A complete wiring loom is available for wiring up a pair of LED stop/tail/indicator lights for a trailer. It's available from most auto spares retail shops and there is a choice of two lengths.

The loom is "plug & play" with terminations done with 4 pin plug/sockets at each joint. You still need to terminate the vehicle end with the trailer plug of your choice, but the kit comes with wiring instructions and wire colours are compatible with standard colours as defined in plug wiring diagrams.

I changed my trailer over to LED lights and re-wired using the loom.
Completely waterproof too.

Bill.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 414779

Reply By: Robin Miller - Friday, Apr 30, 2010 at 08:10

Friday, Apr 30, 2010 at 08:10
They are earthed in the body of the light and you only have to take the wires back to positive and negative - i.e. you don't have to earth seperately.

You don't say what type of light - presume its a combination type as single light source ones usually have just two wires coming out of them neither of which is earth but they have to be connected the right way around else they won't light up.

Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 414789

Follow Up By: TerraFirma - Friday, Apr 30, 2010 at 13:09

Friday, Apr 30, 2010 at 13:09
Correct Robin, I have the same lights
FollowupID: 685015

Reply By: 4wdnut - Friday, Apr 30, 2010 at 21:39

Friday, Apr 30, 2010 at 21:39
thanks,for your help , 4wdnut.
AnswerID: 414912

Sponsored Links