Suggestions please - Perth to Cairns

Submitted: Friday, Apr 30, 2010 at 12:26
ThreadID: 78105 Views:4977 Replies:7 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Everyone.

We have a 7-8 day drive from Perth to Cairns in September this year via the Great central road. Travelling in a 100 series LC with rooftop tent.
Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions on where to camp or things we should not miss.
We have the Camps5 book so just after a bit of personal opinion.
Thanks in advance.

Lyndsey
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - mazcan - Friday, Apr 30, 2010 at 13:17

Friday, Apr 30, 2010 at 13:17
hi nathan and lyndsey

are you taking part in a 4wd rally

will you have time to camp

i think with that time frame your going to miss a huge amount

the only time you will see much is when your coming into land the 100 ser back onto the road
lol
cheers and happy flying
AnswerID: 414846

Follow Up By: Member - mazcan - Friday, Apr 30, 2010 at 13:38

Friday, Apr 30, 2010 at 13:38
hi nathan and lyndsey
it;s ok apparently
sorry i was wrong

after checking with google maps -directions- they advise you can drive perth to cairns via great central road in 2days and 12 hrs it's only - 4653km's-
no worries -
how stupid is that????

it;s no wonder overseas visitors plan itineries that dont add up and they get into all sorts of unforseen predicaments in our vast outback
the mind boggles
FollowupID: 685020

Follow Up By: Member - Nathan & Lyndsey (WA) - Friday, Apr 30, 2010 at 17:10

Friday, Apr 30, 2010 at 17:10
Hey Mazcan,

Long way to go in such a short time i know but we're going to Cape York and don't want to get caught up in the wet so hence the rushed trip across the middle. Just wanted to know if there would be anything we could see in that short a time. Thanks for the reply anyway.

Lyndsey
FollowupID: 685056

Follow Up By:- Friday, Apr 30, 2010 at 19:09

Friday, Apr 30, 2010 at 19:09
Mazcan,
Don't rush your trip because of the wet. It's not likely to rain until November.
Take the time to see the country side.
In case your interested I work for Captain Bligh and my job involves boating and camping up the cape measuring the amount of water moving through the rivers and creeks all the way from Herbert up to the Jardine including the Walsh, Mitchell, Dulhunty, Wenlock and numerous others. There are other perks but we have to deal with weather to do our job. Currently the cape roads through Cook Shire are closed but will be open soon.
Steve.
FollowupID: 685076

Follow Up By: Member - mazcan - Friday, Apr 30, 2010 at 21:32

Friday, Apr 30, 2010 at 21:32
hi steve

i am not going on that trip and
i thought cap't bligh died 2 hundred years ago
do you mean to tell us that he's bin hidin in qld all these years
you've got your facts a little confused as it's natham and lyndsey who are going on the gr8 central rd to cairns
but thanks for the enlightenment of imfo anyway
i'm sure it will help someone on eo
cheers
FollowupID: 685103

Follow Up By:- Sunday, May 02, 2010 at 11:18

Sunday, May 02, 2010 at 11:18
Sorry Mazcan,
It had been a long day for me.
I saw your reply to them and their reply to you and messed up.
But Capt'n Anna Bligh is alive and well in QLD and Nathan and Lyndsey said "and don't want to get caught up in the wet so hence the rushed trip across the middle." so I replied to that statement. I apologise for the part with your name in it. There is plenty of free camping in the North Queensland area if your happy to go off the standard beaten tracks.
FollowupID: 685261

Reply By: 1arm - Friday, Apr 30, 2010 at 13:47

Friday, Apr 30, 2010 at 13:47
I have a book detailing this journey. Something along the lines of the worlds longest short cut. When I get home from work I will get the correct name. It details all the sections and would be quite handy for what you are going to do.
AnswerID: 414850

Follow Up By: Member - Nathan & Lyndsey (WA) - Friday, Apr 30, 2010 at 17:06

Friday, Apr 30, 2010 at 17:06
Thanks 1arm, that would be great.

Lyndsey
FollowupID: 685053

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Friday, Apr 30, 2010 at 18:40

Friday, Apr 30, 2010 at 18:40
There is also the website

The outback way
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 685070

Follow Up By: 1arm - Friday, Apr 30, 2010 at 21:21

Friday, Apr 30, 2010 at 21:21
Its called the Outback Way like the website and is produced by HEMApublications
FollowupID: 685100

Reply By: rapid80 - Friday, Apr 30, 2010 at 15:55

Friday, Apr 30, 2010 at 15:55
I'd suggest stopping in at Gwalia, next to Leonora. Restored old mining village, quite interesting. Also check out Sons of Gwalia's office, nice old hotel that's been restored.
About 90km past Tjukayirla is a good camping spot on the left. Large cleared area where the graders park up.
The Warburton art gallery is worth a look.
The Docker River camp spot is a good place for the 2nd night. The name is something like Kaltukajara.
Lasseter's cave for a quick stop, Giles Meteorological Station. About 150km from the start of the dirt you pass a white cross on top of a small hill, there's a track to the base of the hill and a cave with some artwork. Near the start of the dirt you pass a sign for a radar base(or something like it), soon after that there is a track on the right that leads to a breakaway, nice views and a shady spot for lunch. There are a couple of rock pools,1 I think is called Terhan. Can be found on the great desert maps.
Sorry I don't have any km readings for these spots as I know the landmarks.
I do have some gps readings for various camping spots I have used if you can wait till next week when I get home.
AnswerID: 414865

Follow Up By: Member - Nathan & Lyndsey (WA) - Friday, Apr 30, 2010 at 17:07

Friday, Apr 30, 2010 at 17:07
That would great! We don't leave till mid September so there is no rush.
Thanks
Lyndsey
FollowupID: 685054

Reply By: Motherhen - Friday, Apr 30, 2010 at 18:37

Friday, Apr 30, 2010 at 18:37
Hi Lyndsey

I have recently completed and placed my blog of the Great Central Road from our 2008 trip. Look for it under September 2008. We were heading home from a four month trip. From Yulara to Warakurna (to see Giles weather station early morning tour) first day. Overnight at the pleasant CP at back of roadhouse. Second and third nights bush camping along the way. Next night was to be Leonora CP but their sites were too small so we moved on.

I think you will be doing pretty hard long days on that time frame. Depending on the conditions of the roads, you won't be travelling fast. To try and keep to your time frame, you'd need to travel until near dark then stop; even if you plan set camp spots it is unlikely to work out that way.

Our quickest trip on mainly highways - was from SW of WA to Bundaberg Qld in four days to buy our caravan. This meant getting up when it was dark, leaving at first light, sharing the driving with other catnapping, not stopping for lunch which i made on a tray on my lap, and as soon as it got dark stopping at first opportunity. It was fairly exhausting, but we and the vendor had deadlines.

Motherhen

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 414884

Reply By: Motherhen - Friday, Apr 30, 2010 at 21:57

Friday, Apr 30, 2010 at 21:57
Lyndsey, also check out the Trek Notes on the Great Central and Outback Way here on ExOz. These list points of interest, what permits are needed and detailed distances. I had a copy of the notes for the Great Central Road to help us find the features.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 414915

Reply By: greenextreme - Saturday, May 01, 2010 at 22:24

Saturday, May 01, 2010 at 22:24
Hi Lyndsey,
Buy the Outback Way Guidebook by Hema and then consider camping at these sites along the GCR, which we've enjoyed a few times........Desert Breakaway, Kaltukatjara, Uluru, Spotted Tiger [Harts Range], Parapituri Waterhole [Wirrilyerna Station] and Winton. Things you should try to see and enjoy include Giles Breakaway, Giles Met Station, Warburton Art Gallery, Lasseter's Cave [and lookout], KataTjuta / Uluru, Mt Connor, Gem fields, Cawnpore Lookout and Winton's pubs [for a beer]. Also recommend taking a handheld GPS and if time allows try searching for a few of the geocaches along the GCR.Perth to Cainrs in 8 days means around 6hrs driving per day along the GCR which leaves 2-3hrs for stopping and sightseeing etc...adequate but more time would make a great trip even better. Enjoy. The Guidebook will be your friend :-)
AnswerID: 415048

Reply By: brushmarx - Saturday, May 01, 2010 at 23:19

Saturday, May 01, 2010 at 23:19
Hi
We went from Brisbane up through Longreach and across to Perth via the GCR.
We travelled over Christmas, towing a CT and stuck to a top speed of 100kph.
The trip took 8 1/2 days, with a full morning Alice Springs, and a day at Ayers Rock and the other big rocks near there. Just hope you don't get a cyclone there, it floods.
I would suggest you can't pre-plan too much in the way of things to see, especially if you anticipate a good look around, and camping would pretty much be to suit where you end up after your days travelling.
Your timeframe is OK depending on how many hours you spend on the road. We travelled from roughly 8:00 to 5:00, and didn't stop much anywhere for more than a half hour.
It is a long way, and the conditions don't allow real high speeds.
As already suggested, study the Outback Way website, and keep an eye out for the signs on where things of interest are. There are no shortage of off road sites for camping.
Cheers
I'll get there someday, or die wanting to.

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 415055

Sponsored Links