Questions About Towing an Avan

Submitted: Friday, Apr 30, 2010 at 20:57
ThreadID: 78116 Views:4675 Replies:2 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
I'm looking at buying the smaller Avan called the Sportliner. It's the smallest in the Avan range and has a tare weight of 590kgs (GVM 830kg).

I have 2.4 litre 4 cylinder Mitsubishi Outlander automatic. Would I notice a significant increase in fuel consumption with one of these?

Also, I'm not hugely experienced in towing. The Sportliner is fairly small at only 3.92m long and 1.97m wide. Is reversing/parking a smallish van like this fairly easy?

Lastly, are special caravan mirrors required for something this size?

Thak for any feedback.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Notso - Friday, Apr 30, 2010 at 21:22

Friday, Apr 30, 2010 at 21:22
You will notice the fuel consumption increase, but with a van that size it shouldn't be too frightening.

Practice reversing and turning etc in a nice wide open area like a car park that's empty on the weekend.

You must have a clear view of the road behind your vehicle so something that allows you to look down the side of your van and see what's coming is required. Don't just think about what's legal, but what you need to be able to handle your van successfully.

have fun

AnswerID: 414908

Reply By: Rockape - Friday, Apr 30, 2010 at 21:59

Friday, Apr 30, 2010 at 21:59
Notso, gave some pretty good advise, the only thing I would like to add, is allow some extra braking distance even if the van is fitted with override brakes.

Just another thing, please give those who earn a living on the highways a fair go, if you travel below the speed limit with the van on and you can afford a uhf radio, buy one and talk to the trucks, ask them where you can pull over and let them past, or tell them you will back off when they pass, don't slow until the semi is on the other side and starting to pass you.

If you are getting a line up of vehicles behind you, pull over and let them past.

Have a great time with your new van.
AnswerID: 414917

Follow Up By: gh1967 - Friday, Apr 30, 2010 at 22:02

Friday, Apr 30, 2010 at 22:02
Thanks for replies.

So, ballpark, what kind of fuel consumption increase would I be looking at here? 10%? 25%? 50%?

Its only a light van but I'm on a budget and would like to go into this knowing what I'm (approximately) in for in terms of fuel costs.

Thanks again.
FollowupID: 685105

Follow Up By: Rockape - Friday, Apr 30, 2010 at 22:26

Friday, Apr 30, 2010 at 22:26
I don't know what the standard fuel comsumption figures are for your vehicle, but I would expect the consumption would go up by at least 3 or 4 litres per hundred K.

It will depend how you drive the vehicle, 80kph will give you great consumption figures, if you push it to 110k then you will pay the piper.

FollowupID: 685109

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Saturday, May 01, 2010 at 08:21

Saturday, May 01, 2010 at 08:21
Whilst fuel costs are a major park of a big trip, lots of other things are expensive as well.

Even the wind can make a large difference
EG one day headwind we got 3k pl next day tail wind got 7kpl

A good indicator for an extended trip is that it will and does cost at least $1 per K travelled
We have just finished a 50,000k trip and thats what it cost us.

Buy a set of Aussie truck mirrors for you car as its fairly narrow and you need the mirrors to stick out far enough to see down BOTH sides of the van.

Take it for a spin around the block for an hour or so to see whats different when towing.

Take it to a quiet carpark and practise reversing into one of the marked bays.

Remember when turning the van turns inside your cars line so stay out especially on left turns.
FollowupID: 685130

Sponsored Links