Is Lake Eyre filling?

Submitted: Monday, May 03, 2010 at 08:27
ThreadID: 78183 Views:4882 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
We are setting off in two weeks for places west for several months. No timetable. Thought we would pop in to Lake Eyre if it looks like filling. Anyone have any info on how things are looking?

Also are there any stations around the lake we could contact for transiting permission to get to some of the bird life. Know the tour companies have agreements - any for the rest of us?

See you on the track somewhere.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Monday, May 03, 2010 at 08:52

Monday, May 03, 2010 at 08:52
Have a look here at the Lake Eyre Yacht Club, for info on Lake conditions.

Cheers, have a great trip
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 415176

Follow Up By: Teraa - Tuesday, May 04, 2010 at 08:21

Tuesday, May 04, 2010 at 08:21
I wouldn't plan my trip around the info on this page.
There are some signs of large flocks of water birds but mainly on inland lakes of the Warburton. The major flow from The Warburton is going in now, the Muccumba isn't dry and there was a moderate flood in the Diamintina Lakes just 3 weeks ago so there will be another pulse but will just boost the Warburton a bit. The Warbuton is now receeding and usualy doesn't take long before it's back to the norm. I would have to say the Lake will be at it's best when the Cooper goes in but how long before may play a big part in what covergae there will be. It is also expected to be a wet winter & spring with great local rain follow ups just in the last 2 weeks but very wide range of falls.
Things look clear now and tracks are drying but they are taking longer and longer to dry each times it rain.
FollowupID: 685469

Reply By: Member - Greg H (NT) - Monday, May 03, 2010 at 10:04

Monday, May 03, 2010 at 10:04
Check Muloorina Station. Flew in there a number of years ago. From memory there is a camp site near the station on a creek also they have accom. at the station, BYO. Lovely people.

Cheers

Greg
Tomorrow is here!

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 415186

Reply By: DIO - Monday, May 03, 2010 at 10:16

Monday, May 03, 2010 at 10:16
Check this link regularly for SA Outback Road Conditions before you leave in case of any more rain in the area and road closures.
AnswerID: 415191

Reply By: Crackles - Monday, May 03, 2010 at 22:37

Monday, May 03, 2010 at 22:37
DZ there is a medium flow into the Lake from the Warburton which so far has part filled Belt Bay but may be difficult to see anything from the bank (via 4x4). Last year it was only a few cm's deep & if the wind blew offshore it was half a KM away. Not sure the 2 access tracks to the lake are even open yet?? Water is on it's way down the Cooper and expected in around 6 weeks, the amount unknown so far but not expected to fill the Lake to any great extent. Water is visable although not deep in Lake Eyre South & easily seen from the Oodnadatta track. If there is no significant inflow then it's highly likely that there will be very few birds in Lake Eyre it'self. (same as last year)
With just a shallow level the best view will be by air out of William Creek.
If it's bird life you are after I'd head to Innamincka.
Cheers Craig.......
AnswerID: 415280

Follow Up By: Steve and Viv - Monday, May 03, 2010 at 23:47

Monday, May 03, 2010 at 23:47
I don;t know about that. Last year was pretty amazing for us. There were lots of birds around Halligan Bay. Pretty special seeing wind surfers on the lake and our kids having a play.

FollowupID: 685457

Follow Up By: Member DZ- Tuesday, May 04, 2010 at 07:35

Tuesday, May 04, 2010 at 07:35
Thanks for the feedback, we will check and see how the water level is going in a few weeks time when we finish the CSR, etc.

Regards, dennis
FollowupID: 685465

Sponsored Links