Power steering Conversion for old 40 series

Submitted: Monday, May 03, 2010 at 21:02
ThreadID: 78199 Views:7990 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all, I've got a fj45 with power steering and a Hj47 without. The 2h engine only has a single pulley on it . Can I get another add-on pulley to bolt on the current balancer or will I have to change the whole balancer with a double pulleyed balancer.? I was also thinking I will Manufacture a steering pump Mount. Just Wandering there must be someone out there that has tackled a job like this ,any pointers would be greatly appreciated, thanks Ray.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ozhumvee - Monday, May 03, 2010 at 21:11

Monday, May 03, 2010 at 21:11
This has been discussed previously, do a search so we don't have to retype it all.;-)))
Basically toyota never fitted power steering to 47's because there isn't enough clearance between the chassis, radiator hose/outlet, waterpump outlet to physically fit the power steering pump to the 2H engine.
If you can fabricate another mounting spot for the pump with clear lines to the harmonic balancer for the belts then you may be able to make it fit.
You will need the double pulley harmonic balancer from a 2H in a 60 series.
You also need all of the steering linkages, tie rod, drag links as the power steer ones are thicker/heavier to handle the strain.
you will also need the steering column and linkages between the box and steering wheel, they are different between power steer and non power steer.
AnswerID: 415270

Reply By: Member - William H (WA) - Tuesday, May 04, 2010 at 11:17

Tuesday, May 04, 2010 at 11:17
Morning Ray.
Yes i have power steering on my Toyota HJ47,
You need to get a single pulley to fit on the Balancer,which is easy to do,...then get the bracket and the pump to fit onto the motor down near the right side of the motor and near the engine mount, you also need to get a different engine mount witch also holds the pump,...you need to replace the bottom outlet from the radiator with a brass extension up pass the pulley ,so the hose don't rub on it,.........Give me a phone number so i can call you,or call down to Bunbury and get a complete kit as i have a few of them,in the shed.
Cheers for now....Williamh...Bunbury...WA.
AnswerID: 415318

Sponsored Links