insurance for 18yo, old landcruiser

Submitted: Tuesday, Oct 14, 2003 at 20:21
ThreadID: 7821 Views:1977 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
hi all, i need 3rd party insurane for a 1981 bj42. i cant seem to find anyone. i want to do some trips up north aswell. the car has the usual mods, bigger tyres, norkel, fridge ect and im 18 years old
please help.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Johnad - Tuesday, Oct 14, 2003 at 20:40

Tuesday, Oct 14, 2003 at 20:40
Try Shannons they might help.
AnswerID: 33796

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, Oct 14, 2003 at 22:46

Tuesday, Oct 14, 2003 at 22:46
To thru a broker, thats your best bet.

They will rape you for price though that will be the killer.
AnswerID: 33828

Reply By: wazza - Wednesday, Oct 15, 2003 at 08:11

Wednesday, Oct 15, 2003 at 08:11

Try Suncorp.

I had no problem with them with 3" exhaust, diff locks and 2" lift. I got them all put down as performance mods. They work on a point system where you are not allowed to go over XX points. It was 5 points for the exhaust and 5 points for the suspension mods. I am not sure what their max points was, perhaps 15, but I am not 100% on that.

I called back after she took all the details and got a guy this time, went through the list with him to make sure he was happy. Had to explain to both of them what diff locks do, and they had no real idea, but it is on the policy anyway. Will wait for the paperwork to turn up to make sure they are all listed correctly. Also, with the tyres they were happy as long as it was legal. Then came the list of accessories, such as your norkel and fridge, bull bars, side steps, cd stackers, UHF radios, roof racks, etc. These can be as long as your arm, just as long as you tell them about them all. Many insurance co's will only pay out damaged or nicked accessories if they have been put on the policy.

I asked about the lift kit and she said as long as it wasn't lowered, they would not mind how high it was.... got me to thinking, that she probrbaly meant "as long as it was legal", so I wouldn't want to push my luck with them with anything over 2"

My housemate also had difficulty getting insurance (third party only) for his 60 series cos the turbo is aftermarket and not factory. He has gone through Suncorp now with no problems.

Only dampener might be that you are 18, if the prices seem way too high you might need to bite the bullet and go third party only for a year or two until you get your rating up.
AnswerID: 33843

Follow Up By: Aaron - Thursday, Oct 16, 2003 at 14:30

Thursday, Oct 16, 2003 at 14:30
All i want is 3rd party, the thing is only worth $5000.
FollowupID: 24493

Follow Up By: Wazza (Vic) - Thursday, Oct 16, 2003 at 15:17

Thursday, Oct 16, 2003 at 15:17
Yep, realised that after I typed it all out...Cheers,
FollowupID: 24498

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (13)