Alice booked out late August

Submitted: Tuesday, May 04, 2010 at 15:27
ThreadID: 78218 Views:3236 Replies:11 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,

I have just been told that all Alice Springs accomm. is booked out for the week beginning 28 August 2010, due to the Road Transport Hall of Fame Reunion. We were hoping for caravan park accomm, I will have to consider an itinerary change or does anyone have advice for alternate accomm? I'm guessing surrounding areas eg Ayers Rock, Kings Canyon, Glen Helen etc will also be very busy. Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Rangiephil - Tuesday, May 04, 2010 at 15:35

Tuesday, May 04, 2010 at 15:35
eg Ayers Rock, Kings Canyon,

A bit far to nip down to Coles in Alice!!!!!!

Regards Philip A
AnswerID: 415345

Follow Up By: Roadtripdteaming - Tuesday, May 04, 2010 at 15:57

Tuesday, May 04, 2010 at 15:57
Yeah, what I meant was that some visitors to Alice were likely to be visiting these places also! :)
FollowupID: 685495

Reply By: Ozhumvee - Tuesday, May 04, 2010 at 16:12

Tuesday, May 04, 2010 at 16:12
Plenty of room in the Todd unless it is raining and its flowing ;-)))
AnswerID: 415354

Reply By: Chipsy - Tuesday, May 04, 2010 at 17:14

Tuesday, May 04, 2010 at 17:14
Who said it was booked out? seems a bit strange even for that time of year. I have never had truoble getting a place to stay in alice springs though caravan parks were not on my agenda. Yulara and Kings Canyon will be busy but again I doubt youll have trouble finding a spot. The trouble with travelling in Central australia is balancing the weather with the crowds, trouble with lots of places really.

I tried to have a look to get you a local number for the local tourism centre but the website just has a 13 number that goes goodness knows where. Im sure if you spoke to someone local you would get a booking.

AnswerID: 415365

Follow Up By: Roadtripdteaming - Tuesday, May 04, 2010 at 20:53

Tuesday, May 04, 2010 at 20:53
Apparently they are expecting 5000-7000 people in Alice for the weekend 28/29 August! I wasn't going to bother booking ahead but now am looking into booking Yulara and Kings Canyon so we don't miss out. Hope there aren't too many trucks on the road!
FollowupID: 685532

Reply By: jschacher1 - Tuesday, May 04, 2010 at 18:04

Tuesday, May 04, 2010 at 18:04
I went there in 06 mid July and was very lucky to get a tiny space for my CT in one of the large caravan parks. On the way there up from coober pedy I would say that about 75% was tourist traffic w/ lots of large caravans and motor homes.
...yep I will be one of them in a few (10) years!
JS
AnswerID: 415374

Reply By: Hairy (NT) - Tuesday, May 04, 2010 at 20:11

Tuesday, May 04, 2010 at 20:11
Gday,
Who told you it is booked out?
I would ring around before you thought of alternate plans.
If you have no luck let me know and I might know of somewhere you haven't tried.
It is quite possible that the popular places are booked out but I doubt they all are.

Cheers
Hairy
AnswerID: 415408

Reply By: Motherhen - Tuesday, May 04, 2010 at 23:36

Tuesday, May 04, 2010 at 23:36
Hi RTD

I agree that there may be CPs you have not tried that may have places. Do you require power? Both in Alice Springs and other places, we have found that during events when bookings are heavy, there are usually plenty of unpowered sites available, and because there are always travellers leaving on a daily basis, it may only require a day or two unpowered before a powered site becomes available.

When we visited the Road Transport Hall of Fame in 2008, it was on the day of a re-union and Hall of Fame induction. The Hall closed early that day due to the event, but no problems with accommodation in town.

Last year we got to Alice Springs coming up to the Show weekend, long weekend and fireworks day. CPs accommodation was under pressure for powered sites, and we could not get a place in our preferred park where we had stayed the previous year. We were able to get an unpowered site a town park.

If you want to know more about these parks, check out my reports on

Badger's Caravan Reports

As this website consists of recent reports from caravanners and campers, it does not necessarily include all CPs in any given location.

We never make bookings; our travel time frames are too uncertain.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 415440

Reply By: yakodi - Wednesday, May 05, 2010 at 09:25

Wednesday, May 05, 2010 at 09:25
Hi guys- have you tried the Airport Hotel on Gap Rd for a site? - hotel has recently been renovated, good meals & pool area, they have some caravan sites for 'interstate travellers' currently there are about 5 or 6 vans in there. Not a recognised caravan park but good facilities non the less, and a pretty good last resort when everything is booked out. Cheers.
AnswerID: 415471

Reply By: Members Pa & Ma.(Sally) - Wednesday, May 05, 2010 at 12:39

Wednesday, May 05, 2010 at 12:39
Hi,
I wouldn't go near the Airport Motel. The Heritage C.p has a n enclosed bush camping type area(used to when we were there). You could wait there for a spot until something else comes up.
Surely that wouldn't be all booked out.
AnswerID: 415494

Reply By: yakodi - Wednesday, May 05, 2010 at 13:16

Wednesday, May 05, 2010 at 13:16
Hi, the MacDonnell Range van park has powered sites available from the 1st of Sept. A few days at the Rock or out to Trephina Gorge, Ross River, Glen Helen etc, maybe an option prior to staying in town?
AnswerID: 415499

Follow Up By: Members Pa & Ma.(Sally) - Wednesday, May 05, 2010 at 15:20

Wednesday, May 05, 2010 at 15:20
Hi Yakodi,
That sounds like a better idea. We've been out to Ross river, it's well worth it. We didn't need power though. The camp ground was lovely. Some nice drives from there and nice water holes that should be full now. The whole area around Alice will look about the best any tourist will see it after the recent rains. We won't be there again until August. Good luck to RTD. My answer to you at first wasn't supposed to be sent and I alerted the moderators and asked for it to be removed. Sorry, it hasn't gone yet. I wish there was a ten minute time to fix a mistake ourselves. Safe travels to RTD.
Take care.
Regards Ma,(Sally)
FollowupID: 685611

Reply By: Roadtripdteaming - Wednesday, May 05, 2010 at 20:52

Wednesday, May 05, 2010 at 20:52
Thanks for all the replies, we have booked accomm in Alice from 1st September so as Ma and Pa suggested will be spending prior time in the surrounding area. I'm looking at booking Yulara and Kings Canyon too to ensure spots. Can't wait to go, have fun at your reunion truckies and please drive safely!
AnswerID: 415568

Follow Up By: Member - David C2 (VIC) - Monday, May 24, 2010 at 10:14

Monday, May 24, 2010 at 10:14
We are heading up there that week for the reunion. The local council together with the Alice Springs tourism body will be making alternative non- powered sites available to accommodate the extra travellers expected such as the showgrounds and sporting grounds. It should be huge!! I expect the there will be heavy traffic on the road there including many vintage trucks so take care. I will travel via Oodnadatta it should be a little quieter out there.

Happy Travels
Dave
FollowupID: 687967

Reply By: Members Pa & Ma. - Monday, May 24, 2010 at 12:47

Monday, May 24, 2010 at 12:47
Hi RTD,
That's good to know, Thanks for telling us. Enjoy your trip.
Take care, safe travels.
Regards Ma.
AnswerID: 417929

Sponsored Links