Food Warmer

Submitted: Tuesday, Oct 14, 2003 at 20:49
ThreadID: 7822 Views:3335 Replies:7 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Self and family have just returned from our first real 4WD trip to Outback NSW, Corner Country, Innamincka and the Cooper, before heading south to the Flinders.

I would like to thank all and sundry, for the various info that I have tapped into on this fantastic site. We had a great trip, with the only hiccup being the battery and the camper trailer that it was attached to, parted company just west of Camerons Corner. No drama really, we sourced a replacement at Innamincka.

We had a excellent trip, with the weather conditions varying between 38 degrees and a dust storm at Broken Hill to near zero temps at the Flinders.

In my preparation for the trip, I was greatly assisted by Peter, Andrew and the Crew at ARB Southern at St Peters in Sydney. Great advice with no strings attached.

Had better get into the TOPIC -: As there was always "left over" food from the previous nights bar b que or curry, we often wished that we had some means of re-heating it for snacks or meals the next day. Is there a device or product that can be fitted to the engine coolant system or some other 'thing' that would enable us to reheat food items prior to a road-side stop. Basically so that it is ready to eat at the time of the stop.

Thanks again for all the bits and pieces of info.
Brian
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Cocka - Tuesday, Oct 14, 2003 at 21:24

Tuesday, Oct 14, 2003 at 21:24
Well done Brian, glad you enjoyed the trip.
When we decided to upcamp and move on we sometimes make our plunger coffee after breaky & keep it hot in a thermos until morning tea break. We have a wide necked thermos and can keep all manner of hot food in it.
In emergencies we have a single burner hiking stove (small) that's great for reheats also.Carpe Diem
AnswerID: 33803

Follow Up By: macca - Tuesday, Oct 14, 2003 at 21:38

Tuesday, Oct 14, 2003 at 21:38
Have to agree with cocka..the small butane stove comes in handy for quick left overs and a burnt slab of toast whilst its cooking
FollowupID: 24283

Reply By: soldierboy - Tuesday, Oct 14, 2003 at 21:36

Tuesday, Oct 14, 2003 at 21:36
hello brian.
we have a 12 volt esky type thing that doubles as a heater.
keeps the drinks cold untill you have your bbq then use it to heat up your food as you drive.
AnswerID: 33808

Reply By: foxer - Tuesday, Oct 14, 2003 at 21:46

Tuesday, Oct 14, 2003 at 21:46
Brian
The old stand by of some alfoil. Wrap it up and place it on the manifold works pretty well and doesn't cost to much!!
AnswerID: 33811

Reply By: explo - Tuesday, Oct 14, 2003 at 22:19

Tuesday, Oct 14, 2003 at 22:19
gday
Bought myself a12v oven,it si about 12L x9d x4h(inches)from marlows about 2years ago. Made by lion products,it has a hotplate in the base which gets very hot .Use mine everday at work while driving ,1.5-2 hours for a frozen pies to red hot .Makes nice hot ham n cheese rolls (melted) Also comes with 2 rectangluar saucepans/lids Only problem on/off switch melted,but replaced it with a better one

cheers macca
AnswerID: 33819

Reply By: Mick - Wednesday, Oct 15, 2003 at 10:30

Wednesday, Oct 15, 2003 at 10:30
Just a warning,
The 12volt fridge/heaters drag lots of current, so there fine whilst driving, but dont use them too much if camped in one spot for a few days. TRhey will flatten your battery much faster than a danfloss compressor type fridge.
A good suggestion was the small gas canister barbies. there quite small, and use an aerosol type can of gas.
Look up Golden Bell website.
AnswerID: 33854

Reply By: Benna - Wednesday, Oct 15, 2003 at 11:18

Wednesday, Oct 15, 2003 at 11:18
Hi

Jaycar ( www.jaycar.com.au ) have a 12volt portable stove(looks like an oven with lid and all). about $50 i think check it out, seems half decent, gets to 140 C.

Never tried it

Ben
AnswerID: 33859

Reply By: Moose - Wednesday, Oct 15, 2003 at 13:25

Wednesday, Oct 15, 2003 at 13:25
4WD touring is great isn't it?
Just a word of warning re keeping leftovers warm. Food that's kept warm is a breeding ground for bugs that cause "food poisoning". Not sure whether from one night to next lunch break would be a problem but it may be safer to store it in the fridge until you want to eat and then heat using a stove.
You make it sound like you want to get lunch over with as quickly as possible. Relax and take your time - heating a bit of tucker will not take too much time.
AnswerID: 33886

Sponsored Links