Cooper ST-C v BF G A/KO

Submitted: Wednesday, May 05, 2010 at 10:51
ThreadID: 78237 Views:4299 Replies:10 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Our Prado is in need of new tyres but which ones? We spend about 80% of our driving time on dirt, (live 165km from town with dirt road all the way). Can't decided on what to put on. The work utes all have BFG's and only get about 50k from them - utes live on dirt, loaded and tow work caravans. So wondered if should try Cooper ST-C on the Prado. Does any one have them that does more dirt than balck top? Are they noisey on the rd? I have read some of the forums but sumize that alot of these do more tar than dirt. We usually tend to run lower tyre pressure to give a better ride.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: The Landy - Wednesday, May 05, 2010 at 11:08

Wednesday, May 05, 2010 at 11:08
Have them on the 'Landy' and done 30Ks on them. Mostly dirt and I've had no problem with them.
AnswerID: 415482

Reply By: Wilko - Wednesday, May 05, 2010 at 11:10

Wednesday, May 05, 2010 at 11:10
Hi Doin it,

BFG's are they only way to go, (helmet on, Flak jacket on head down,ready for incoming artillery)

Cheers Wilko
AnswerID: 415483

Follow Up By: oldfart1953 - Wednesday, May 05, 2010 at 11:31

Wednesday, May 05, 2010 at 11:31
G'Day Wilco,
Standing right beside you, I'll give you a hand.
BFG for me also!

CU down the road
Insanity doesnt run in my family.... it gallops!

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 685582

Follow Up By: Wilko - Wednesday, May 05, 2010 at 14:11

Wednesday, May 05, 2010 at 14:11
Thanks Old fart,

They must be regrouping as I havent seen any attacks as yet lol.

Cheers Wilko
FollowupID: 685604

Reply By: Isuzumu - Wednesday, May 05, 2010 at 12:11

Wednesday, May 05, 2010 at 12:11
I have had a set of Cooper STs, there ok, now have a set of Mickey Thompson MTZs, but next time I am going for a set of Mickey Thompson ATZ 4 Ribs. check them out all made by Coopers.
AnswerID: 415489

Follow Up By: Goona - Friday, May 07, 2010 at 21:03

Friday, May 07, 2010 at 21:03
Hey Isuzumu, You have followed my path exactly. Although I went through 4 sets yep 4 sets of the Cooper STs due to lugs ripping off all replaced under warranty. Then went to a set of MTZ Mickey T's which were great but a bit to aggressive for the work we do so now (2 months ago) got a set of Mickey T's 4 ribs and they are excellent. Quiet on the road great off road and all round cannot fault them. Very happy and guaranteed to return 80,000klm.

Goona
FollowupID: 685855

Reply By: Member - mazcan - Wednesday, May 05, 2010 at 13:20

Wednesday, May 05, 2010 at 13:20
hi dion it
ive had 2 sets of cooper st's and never again

the BFG's are my choice and i might add that- imho -

i dont think you are being fair to the BFG's i think you are losing distant on tread wear by running the pressures low to soften the ride particulary while towing and carring loads
up the pressure and they will last a lot longer

i dont think theres a toyota on the road that comes from the factory with a satisfactory suspension it's always been an inherent toyota problem from way back and i'm speaking from some personel experience
except maybe the LC 200 model
thats why the after market suspension businesses are so healthy
thats my two bobs worth
cheers
AnswerID: 415500

Follow Up By: Doin It - Friday, May 07, 2010 at 10:39

Friday, May 07, 2010 at 10:39
I should have said we run slightly lower pressure when unloaded, they get pumped up when loaded. The boss has a LC100, never been laoded up or towed and he averages 60k from a set of BFG. The roads that we have to contend with around here aren't the best.

The Prado is of to the big smoke next month for a suspension fit out.

Cheers
Doin It
FollowupID: 685807

Reply By: Gossy - Wednesday, May 05, 2010 at 15:03

Wednesday, May 05, 2010 at 15:03
I have had the ST tyres before and dissapointed with the chipping after a trip up North many years ago. Mainly on the rear which was obviously carrying most of the weight.

To their credit (after I was questioned about pressures to ensure I knew what I was talking about and didn't drive around at 80psi all day) Cooper upgraded me to replace them to ST-C's.

Never looked back. I have now used these tyres for 5+ years (my old set will now become my buzz around town set). Chipping is basically non existant with good tyre wear off road (considering the softer compound). I have a bush set which sits out the back of the yard so I don't care about them wearing down faster on sealed roads.

So basically my ST-C are 100% dirt and they have served me well. Living in Adelaide means I have stony conditions like Flinders, roads up Nth like Birdsville, Mt Dare etc etc.

To be honest you couldn't go wrong with either tyre.

Cheers,
AnswerID: 415515

Follow Up By: The Landy - Wednesday, May 05, 2010 at 15:47

Wednesday, May 05, 2010 at 15:47
I've had a similar experience with the ST-C's.....good wear and no chipping.

Cheers
FollowupID: 685614

Reply By: Member - Duncs - Wednesday, May 05, 2010 at 15:23

Wednesday, May 05, 2010 at 15:23
Doin It,

I have run three sets of BFG A/KO and been very happy with them. The fourht set was not so good. After 28,000km they were falling apart so I went to the agent in town to show him and see what he thought. I did not ask him for anything just wanted to see what he thouhgt. He accused me of abusing the tyres, called me an idiot and said he did not want me in his shop. So I left.

I went to another tyre retailer in town, the guy who supplied tyres for the work trucks. I trusted him but when he recommended the ST/C I said no. I had a bad experience with ST's about 11 years ago and did not want to go near the Coopers again. Anyway he convinced me to speak to a lot of other people and I ended up with the ST/C.

At the time I was doing about 50/50 dirt/sealed. Now, living in Sydney, I am mostly on sealed roads. I am now on my third set and get about 70k from each. I do not bably the tyres, they get roatated occasionally and I keep the pressures reasonably well monitored.

The ST/C was developed in close consultation with a number of tour operators one of whom lived in Broken Hill, where I was. They were designed for use on outback roads and specifically to resist chipping. They provide good feel on the loose sand and rocky dirt you get out around the Hill. They do get a bit noisy as they get old and worn but it is not too bad, windows up ac on and you won't hear them. They also get a bit skaty in the wet when the tread depth is getting well down.

In you situation I would go with the Cooper's because I think they are a good solid tyre that provides good value for money. Having said that either tyre will suit you well. As I said earlier the main reason for my change was the attitude of the dealer but I am glad I made the change.

Duncs
AnswerID: 415519

Reply By: OREJAP - Wednesday, May 05, 2010 at 16:54

Wednesday, May 05, 2010 at 16:54
Good luck with Cooper tyres. I think any company that has an "involved" warranty code ie...rotate tyres every 5,000km (must supply proof of same when claiming warranty) front end alignment etc...you'll need a legal eagle to decipher the fine print on the warranty aspect....ask the dealer to show you the fine print!!! It will probably be on the rear of the Cooper docket which is about A4 size!!! I do not sell tyres & NO I am not in the business of automotive sales & have no affiliation with any company just an ordinary public servant. I have had BFG T/A on Range Rover, Patrols,Cruisers & Pajero's never a problem in sand,harsh rocky surfaces & mud. BFG have not changed their pattern in over 25 years. WHY? Because when you are on a good thing stick to it!! Remember there is no substitute for quality. IMHO
AnswerID: 415524

Reply By: GOPIES - Wednesday, May 05, 2010 at 23:45

Wednesday, May 05, 2010 at 23:45
No problems with the Cooper ST-C, used them on my old troopy never looked after them, was getting 75 to 78K km out of them.
Just ordered 9 more for my new troopy arriving August and a trailer under construction.
Don't worry about the warranty inspections, just save your money and use it on regular wheel alignments, tyre rotations.

Cheers
AnswerID: 415580

Reply By: Member - Bucky - Friday, May 07, 2010 at 04:50

Friday, May 07, 2010 at 04:50
Oh no
Here we go again !

Cheers
Bucky
AnswerID: 415690

Reply By: Doin It - Friday, May 07, 2010 at 10:30

Friday, May 07, 2010 at 10:30
Thank you everyone for your comments, they have been most helpful.
The tyre debate is a little like the Toyota v Nissan or Ford v Holden debates.
We are leaning more towards the BFG - why? Well after several phone calls BFG's are easier to obtain than Coopers, even where we live!
So thanks again,
Cheers
Helen
AnswerID: 415715

Sponsored Links