4wd action fraser island dvd swamped troopy

Submitted: Thursday, May 06, 2010 at 01:02
ThreadID: 78252 Views:6171 Replies:8 FollowUps:12
This Thread has been Archived
Just watched the latest dvd that comes with the magazine & there is a piece at the end of the Fraser trip where they have come across a newish troopy about to be swamped in the waves supposedly driven by backpackers who have parked it on the beach to do some fishing & the tide has come in

The story starts with vision from out of roothy's vehicle showing the troopy in the waves & no other vehicles (that i can see) on the beach but when roothy pulls up to help he says the 4wd action camera crew are helping the driver unload stuff out of the vehicle (what the guy was carrying looked a bit like a hard camera case)

Roothy than procedes to recover the vehicle but by the time they finally drag it out the waves are at bonnet height & the thing is soaked

The strange thing about it is that it seems to have a large mounting (possibly a camera mount) stuck on the inside of the screen & in previous footage it shows a similar troopy in the background in a lot of the shots

Me being skeptical wonders if the backpackers troopy was actually the 4wd action camera crew troopy that was set up for a recovery piece but things got a bit out of hand as it is a horrible thing to do to any vehicle

Has anyone watched it & what are your thoughts

Regards Don
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Muntoo - Thursday, May 06, 2010 at 01:22

Thursday, May 06, 2010 at 01:22
Yeah i thought roughly the same also. One thing is for sure, its going to live a short life that Troopy. There wouldnt be enough you could do to stop it rusting away within 2 years i reckon.
AnswerID: 415585

Reply By: Mr Pointyhead - Thursday, May 06, 2010 at 08:11

Thursday, May 06, 2010 at 08:11
I agree that some of the 4x4 action recovery shots are setups. On the recent high country DVD they camped at the Eaglevale Camping area near where the Eaglevale track crosses the Wonnangattta river.

Next morning they had the "difficult" crossing of the Wonnangatta river onto the Eaglevale track. And they had to do a difficult recovery where Roothy got stuck getting out of the river. However, where he got stuck was just upstream from where the eaglevale track crosses the river and there is a perfectly good ford with relatively easy river entries.

So the only way you would get stuck there was if you where really trying to get stuck. And in the process they managed to unnecessarily bugger up the creek bank as well.

AnswerID: 415591

Follow Up By: montana - Thursday, May 06, 2010 at 08:42

Thursday, May 06, 2010 at 08:42
it was a stuff up by the camera crew not a set up ,i dont know why roothy has sush a following as i have no time for him.and his driving skills arnt as good as he thinks.
FollowupID: 685689

Follow Up By: Member - Jack - Thursday, May 06, 2010 at 10:32

Thursday, May 06, 2010 at 10:32
Gotta agree with Montana. I stopped buying the mag on the basis of Roothy's self proclaimed 'celebrity' status. The guy is just a bogan, with no particular off-road skills.
Jack
The hurrieder I go, the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll-Alice In Wonderland)

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 685701

Follow Up By: Bob - Thursday, May 06, 2010 at 10:42

Thursday, May 06, 2010 at 10:42
After watching Roothy rebuild a caravan and toss out the insulation for the HWS because he thought it was packing, as well as many other errors, holes cut in wrong places etc he lost all credibility so far as I am concerned.

Bob
FollowupID: 685704

Follow Up By: Member - mazcan - Thursday, May 06, 2010 at 14:28

Thursday, May 06, 2010 at 14:28
hi guys
ruthie is a lot smarter than most of us 'because he got a fair bit of money out of a lot us before we woke up to his tactics
so who's the smart one
the gall boys are no better or worst
cheers and beware of who's white-anting your hard earned $$$$$
FollowupID: 685721

Follow Up By: Member - Leigh (Vic) - Thursday, May 06, 2010 at 14:45

Thursday, May 06, 2010 at 14:45
there's a whole crop of them that didn't fall far from the tree....yep bogans might be an apt description!
FollowupID: 685724

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Saturday, May 08, 2010 at 21:13

Saturday, May 08, 2010 at 21:13
I wouldn't call them Bogans, but people like Roothy are very good entertainers. While I take his advice with a grain of salt, I admire his achievements in pretty much taking over the 4wd magazine scene.
FollowupID: 685993

Reply By: Member - Doug T (NT) - Thursday, May 06, 2010 at 08:53

Thursday, May 06, 2010 at 08:53
I gave up buying those DVD's some time ago, they get a 4x4 bogged in 2wd just to use the snatch strap, they drive in convoy in each others dust , now up here in the Territory some like to submerge their 4x4's because the brain is dead.

Territory Style

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 415593

Follow Up By: Mikee5 (Logan QLD) - Thursday, May 06, 2010 at 09:03

Thursday, May 06, 2010 at 09:03
Hi Doug, good story but not relevant to the post. He was driving from one community to another within Arnhem Land to work. Not something I am allowed to do. He was probably driving a community 4WD so no care or responsibility.
FollowupID: 685690

Follow Up By: Allan B, Sunshine Coast, - Thursday, May 06, 2010 at 13:38

Thursday, May 06, 2010 at 13:38
Mike, did you actually read the article in full? Here is a copy & paste of what the police Sgt said:

**Sgt De Vos warned fellow Territorians to stay away from flooded waterways.

"It's very alarming that this man chose to take on this flooded crossing, knowing the road had been closed due to flooding for the past five months," he said.
"Upon speaking to the man, it was established that he was trying to see just how far he could get. He actually tried this two weeks ago with his vehicle becoming submerged in the Mann River, however was able to recover the vehicle himself."**

Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 685714

Reply By: Member - Matt & Caz H (QLD) - Thursday, May 06, 2010 at 09:43

Thursday, May 06, 2010 at 09:43
Hi Don,

Matt and I watched it yesterday, we did wonder......... and they didn't show the backpackers either, we pulled backpackers out of the sand on Fraser about 6 yrs ago -they were incredibly grateful.

Cheers
Caz
AnswerID: 415595

Follow Up By: Member - Fred B (NT) - Thursday, May 06, 2010 at 10:39

Thursday, May 06, 2010 at 10:39
If it was my vehicle or a rental, I would not be standing there with a fishing rod in my hand...... The guy they talked to, was definitely not the vehicle owner or driver.... he would have been a lot more agitated and been part of the action... with lots of thank you's after the fact...
Fred B
VKS 737: Mobile/Selcall 1334

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 685702

Reply By: Member - David C2 (VIC) - Thursday, May 06, 2010 at 11:54

Thursday, May 06, 2010 at 11:54
What's that they often say" never let the truth get in the way of a good story"

Roothys a legend, (in his own mind)

Cheers Dave
AnswerID: 415605

Follow Up By: Allan B, Sunshine Coast, - Thursday, May 06, 2010 at 13:41

Thursday, May 06, 2010 at 13:41
Of course Roothy's a legend. You ask him, he'll tell you!

Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 685715

Reply By: Member - Nick (TAS) - Thursday, May 06, 2010 at 12:46

Thursday, May 06, 2010 at 12:46
Of coarse it was a set up.Isnt the point of most action DVD's to show how things are done, wether by being staged or in a real life situation.
Some people must have a pretty sad life if all they wanna do is go around picking faults in things.Top Gear is a cult TV show and 99% of their accidents/near misses are staged.Who cares, its good to watch.
Now get over it.(this post isnt directed at you Don)
I was actually talking to Roothy on the phone yesterday and he came across as a great bloke who loves 4wding and our country.Give him a break.
AnswerID: 415608

Follow Up By: Gazal Champion - Thursday, May 06, 2010 at 20:22

Thursday, May 06, 2010 at 20:22
I agree with you Nick, these DVDs are for entertainment and you can get a good laugh out of them. Roothy I like even though he carries on a bit but he is just like most every other bloke you meet, full of stories, some true, some bull and some a bit of a crack up. Now those idiots on Top Gear are in a class of their own. At least Roothys got an Ausie accent. I enjoy the DVD but rarely learn anything from them. They are just time fillers. But to each his own.
Cheers, Bruce.
At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 685761

Follow Up By: Steve and Viv - Saturday, May 08, 2010 at 19:40

Saturday, May 08, 2010 at 19:40
Yes I also agree Nick. It's all about entertainment and they do, by the fact that they execute a recovery, show how to do it - mostly right. Not every one is as lucky as we all are to have experienced the great out doors, many are just getting into it and if they feel a little more confident after watching any one of the mentioned DVD's then I say, good job. I love the Gall boys as well because it's fun. They all promote getting out there and that's what it's all about. Not knocking a Mag because they do a good job of entertaining.
FollowupID: 685969

Reply By: vk1dx - Thursday, May 06, 2010 at 15:58

Thursday, May 06, 2010 at 15:58
So what.

I actually enjoyed the whole DVD. Roothy and crew always add a bit of journalistic content.

I will say this also. In previous DVD's they did a lot of things wrong like not using tree protection straps, hooning around in creeks and there was more. This time he did a good job. No mucking around and on the straight and level. A credit to the magazine. Methinks the word got around that the game should be cleaned up a bit.

AND IT WAS.WELL DONE ROOTHY AND CREW.

The recovery was worth watching anyway.

So who cares whose troopy it was.

Phil
AnswerID: 415618

Reply By: Goona - Friday, May 07, 2010 at 20:55

Friday, May 07, 2010 at 20:55
Listen to you lot. I have been FWDing since I got my licence (25 years ago) and have bought 4wd action since it started and admire Roothy 100%. What a jobWhat a guy. Getting out there and seeing Australia in all its glory and GETTING PAID FOR IT. I did it 2 years ago 6 month trip and it was the best thing I ever did. Was absolutely fantastic and if I could write for a magazine and make people laugh at my antics I'd still be doing laps of Oz. Sure he might be a bush mechanic and he makes no bones about it nor does he hide the fact but what he does try to project is how to drive and get yourself out of trouble cook yourself a feed with virtually nothing and generally have a good time. Hats off to him I say and well done. I can't wait to meet the guy and have a beer with him.

Goona
AnswerID: 415778

Sponsored Links