traveling north as far as Townville

Submitted: Friday, May 07, 2010 at 15:57
ThreadID: 78279 Views:2746 Replies:6 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
on the coast road , we are looking for good cheap caravan parks and some good fishing spots . chasing the warmer weather for 3 months . and try to avoid those mozzy;s and sand flys . has any one got some ideas thank you for your time wendy and chris ,
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: John and Lynne - Friday, May 07, 2010 at 16:44

Friday, May 07, 2010 at 16:44
Where are you starting from?
Nothing is very cheap along most of the coast! The southern winter is peak season along the Qld coast. However, you will do much better if you stay well away from larger towns and tourist hot spots. eg Avoid the Gold Copast and Sunshine Coast and Hervey Bay. Little places like Corindi north of Coffs Harbour NSW with a small CP are a good bet. The Yuraygir National Park has some good campsites if you don't want luxurious amenities. Camps 5 is a good place to start planning your trip. The chain CPs will always be more expensive and you pay for facilities you may not use eg jumping castles! We have not found joining for the "discount" to be worthwhile! Have a great time! Lynne
AnswerID: 415742

Reply By: George_M - Friday, May 07, 2010 at 17:45

Friday, May 07, 2010 at 17:45
One option is to have a look at the Clairview Caravan Park.

It's in the middle of no-where, about halfway between Rockhampton and Mackay. It's a small (very small, friendly town; and the fishing can be quite good.

George_M
Come any closer and I'll rip your throat out!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 415748

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Friday, May 07, 2010 at 17:52

Friday, May 07, 2010 at 17:52
The little town of St Lawrence opens its polocrosse/rodeo? grounds for the use of tourists. I think there is a nominal camping fee and you pay for the use of the showers (good amenities block). Plus there is a notice board with lots of contact numbers for locals who can tell you where to go fishing, crabbing, birdwatching etc.

Cheers,
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 415750

Follow Up By: kend88 - Friday, May 07, 2010 at 19:46

Friday, May 07, 2010 at 19:46
Have to agree with Georges suggestion of Clairview.
Small town in the middle of nowhere, but one of the few cps actually on the coast in that region, stayed there for two nights two years ago and quite a few people had made it their winter retreat.
Little basic restaurant/cafe with good meals at good prices. Amenities ok
Not sure about the midges and mossies

kenD
bris
FollowupID: 685844

Follow Up By: Member - Roger B (VIC) - Saturday, May 08, 2010 at 00:18

Saturday, May 08, 2010 at 00:18
A 3 minute shower at St. Lawrence is $1.00. No other fee. That was the case last August anyway. If you get as far as Home Hill you can have a few free days at their excellent, and free Comfort stop right in town. Showers toilets and BBQ's. Plenty of facilities in this very friendly town. The only drawback is that your parked adjacent to the railway line. But by the same token, so are a lot of $30.00 a night Caravan Parks up the East coast, Enjoy your trip.

Roger B...
FollowupID: 685877

Reply By: Member - Matthew J (QLD) - Friday, May 07, 2010 at 21:13

Friday, May 07, 2010 at 21:13
Although I have no idea where you are starting your trip from, consider good cheap CPs that are likely to meet your criteria at:-
Woodgate Beach Tourist park
Golden Sands CP, Moore Park Beach
Beachside CP, Yeppoon
Cape Hillsborough Nature Resort (just nth of Mackay).
Have a great trip.
AnswerID: 415783

Reply By: 1 4 GUNNER - Friday, May 07, 2010 at 21:27

Friday, May 07, 2010 at 21:27
WE are starting from cooranbong nsw on the nortn cost SORRY
AnswerID: 415786

Follow Up By: petengail - Saturday, May 08, 2010 at 06:49

Saturday, May 08, 2010 at 06:49
some of our favourites are:
from south to north:
red rock - close to corindi but on the creek and the beach - lovely spot
sandon river - 10 ks of good dirt out from brooms head - brooms head is also magnificent
illuka - on the clarence river, we think it beats yamba by a mile because its no where near as crowded
evans head - lovely spot
donnybrook - just north of brisbane
inskip point - kick off point for fraser island
and a hundred more but these are just a few of our favourites... have fun and a good and safe trip. its very difficult to avoid midges anywhere north of about yamba though ....
FollowupID: 685886

Reply By: 1 4 GUNNER - Saturday, May 08, 2010 at 08:28

Saturday, May 08, 2010 at 08:28
hello everyone
thank you for giving us some great ideas and places to stay , we have stayed at a few of them . but there are a lot we are going to try , much appreciated , thanks for your time , wendy and chris
AnswerID: 415819

Sponsored Links