born again engel

we are away on holidays and our 40lt. engel (about three years old) just quit, compressor running but not cooling. called the guy that I bought it from and he told be to turn in upside down WITH COMPRESSOR RUNNING, belt it around a bit and see if that fixes it. I almost laughed at him over the phone but he is such a good guy I didn,t. I did what he sugested and guess what, its running much quiter and holding 3 degrees, perfect beer temp.Has any one else had this experience or have you learnt something?.
Cheers, Nev.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mick O - Saturday, May 08, 2010 at 07:20

Saturday, May 08, 2010 at 07:20
Same thing happened to me Nev after my trip into the NSW station Country in Late 08. The engel just stopped cooling. Compressor ran with no effect. Let it sit at home for a few months while I found a repairer. When he checked it he found it working well with no problems. Go figure. Sounds like an identicle situation with yours so I'll remember the remedy.

Cheers Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 415813

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Saturday, May 08, 2010 at 16:24

Saturday, May 08, 2010 at 16:24
Ditto...happened to me too and hasn't been a problem ever since; about 4 years now since the hiccup.
FollowupID: 685929

Reply By: ChipPunk - Saturday, May 08, 2010 at 08:55

Saturday, May 08, 2010 at 08:55
It's very like normal fridge problems...
IE - after moving (by road) or tipping horizontal etc, let the stand normally (vertical) for a while before switching on. 24 hours was recommended after a horizontal road trip.

This was so that the condensate (refrigerant) could settle back "down" and bleed itself of air/gas pockets.

I am unsure whether that is an old spouse tale, but IMO it has credibility (unlike condensed ice being "poisonous" - except in old & ammonia fridges etc, or through overdosing on distilled water).
It's not very different from bleeding vehicle cooling systems (for those that need it).

The noise definitely makes sense - gas pockets - it can't pump....
AnswerID: 415821

Reply By: trainslux - Saturday, May 08, 2010 at 15:21

Saturday, May 08, 2010 at 15:21
Sounds like there was a blockage in your system where it goes from high pressure to low pressure in the capillary.
Mixing up the refrigerant in 3 way fridges would help air pockets and mixing of the ammonia solution, however in a compressor fridge, no air should be present, as there vac'ed down to remove air, and moisture from the system so the capillary tube wont block up, which sounds like what it could have been.
when the system was assembled, there may have been some foreign material from the soldered joints etc that finally moved thru to the capillary and blocked it.
Some gentle correction seemed to have moved it.

Always good to see a problem, and what fixed it.

Trains

AnswerID: 415855

Follow Up By: GerryP - Saturday, May 08, 2010 at 18:10

Saturday, May 08, 2010 at 18:10
I agree Trains.

Some of the older Engels had problems with the pencil drier just ahead of the capillary, where bits of the drier core would come adrift and block the circuit.

Running upside down... well, you may get away with that with the Engel swing motor, but I wouldn't like to try it with a Waeco which a normal reciprocating compressor and a sump full of oil. As you suggest though, for a 3-way absorption fridge, it quite often gets them going again.

Cheers
Gerry
FollowupID: 685946

Sponsored Links