Wonnangatta River

Hello all,
Was wondering if anyone has been up around the Licola and Dargo region in the last few months. I have a few questions
We are heading up there next weekend 14th & 15th May with a 1/2 dozen bikes and two 4x4's (Navara and Landcruiser)
1. Day.1 Our intended route is from Licola along mt.margaret track thru to ben Cruachan up and across the avon river and continue on to moroka hut, Up to the pinnacles and then down billy goats to eaglevale camping grounds.
2. Are the river crossings comparable to previous years for this time of year? In particular the crossing at eaglevale camping grounds
3. Day.3. Upto cynthia and wombat range, down hernes spur to wonnangata valley, then up zeka spur, back down butcher country and dingo hill to the road and finally into Licola. Are the tracks through the wonnangatta valley open?
4. Navara ST-R is mainly only for support but will need it to go down billygoats, what do you think?. Landcruiser is a 70 series all set up and will follow the bikes
Any extra info is much appreciated, we've done this trip many times but would like some up to date info on the track conditions. Cheers Dave.O
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Kiwi_In_Aussie(Wagga) - Saturday, May 08, 2010 at 16:25

Saturday, May 08, 2010 at 16:25
A little OT but relevenat

I did the trip that you outlined a couple of weeks ago and had the situation where I was in low gear (therefore relatively high engine noise in the cab) windows up, on Billy Goat - totally focussed on my driving line - not expecting anyone to come up behind me, let alone try and pass me - when all of a sudden there is a guy alongside me on abike, standing up on the footpedals - obviously experineced etc

I didnt hear or see him until he was by my driving side mirror - damned near had kittens when I suddenly became aware of him.

In all nonesty he may or may not have flashed his lights, sounded his horn ect I just didnt notice him - I had checked my rear view about 10 minutes earlier and it was clear, and a sI said wasnt really looking back that often

He goes past and starts shaking his head

I wasnt bleep ed or anything (its just 'one of those things' that happens) but I thought about it later and thought - what was it he expected from me that he didnt get to cause him to shake his head.

From your point of view (bike rider and a 4x4 driver) what are you expecting from a 4x4 driver in such a scenario
AnswerID: 415859

Follow Up By: dieseltojo - Saturday, May 08, 2010 at 17:11

Saturday, May 08, 2010 at 17:11
Hi Kiwi,
My point of view that daoverdyk is asking a fair question and is getting a bitch session, an attempt to take over his thread and totally getting his question ignored. If you want to kick the bike users start a different thread.

Daoverdyk, I hope others can help without being just biased and grinding their own axe. Sorry I can’t actually tell you as I haven’t been on Billy goat for a year, but know that it can get pretty rutted after rain. Hope some one can be more current.
FollowupID: 685933

Follow Up By: Member - Kiwi_In_Aussie(Wagga) - Saturday, May 08, 2010 at 17:40

Saturday, May 08, 2010 at 17:40
The tracks were all open about 3 weeks ago - but slippery as it rained for 1 day

The streams were around the top of my wheels

dieseltojo

1) not a bitch session - not biased - and not grinding my own axe

2) not an attempt to 'take ove his thread'

3) did preface by saying ' a littel off topic but relevant"

4) I dont see/hear daoverdyk complaining

5) don't see the word 'site moderator' in your profile

5) who made you the ' ExploreOz police'

FollowupID: 685938

Follow Up By: dieseltojo - Saturday, May 08, 2010 at 19:25

Saturday, May 08, 2010 at 19:25
1) not a bitch session - not biased - and not grinding my own axe
My mistake sounded like whinging to me

2) not an attempt to 'take ove his thread'
what was it he expected from me that he didnt get to cause him to shake his head.
what are you expecting from a 4x4 driver in such a scenario

These are direct questions and are an attempt to take over the thread.
3) did preface by saying ' a little off topic but relevant"
Knowingly going off topic hijacking thread

4) I dont see/hear daoverdyk complaining
Every one reads these things

5) don't see the word 'site moderator' in your profile
Not in yours either

5) who made you the ' ExploreOz police'
No one but etiquette has to be shown in most forums. Apparently not on the forums you attend.
FollowupID: 685966

Follow Up By: daoverdyk - Saturday, May 08, 2010 at 21:19

Saturday, May 08, 2010 at 21:19
Thanks for all the input, I believe that both 4x4 drivers and riders both have a few bad apples amongst the fraternity, but I consider that the vast majority are very considerate. I find that a little hand signal communication such as a wave or a finger/s to show number of riders or drivers for that matter in the group goes along way. I can only guess he may have got annoyed because of the area in which you stopped didn't allow him much room or he may have lost his momentum, either way I can't see it being a big issue.

Back to the main reason of the post. It looks like the rivers should be ok to cross, there is a few 'mm' forecast this week but would hardly impact the river height (i think it would need atleast an 1inch) Good to hear the tracks are open. The following post I think has got me worried about the 4x4s though, on the bike atleast we can navigate the ruts a little easier.
FollowupID: 685995

Reply By: mechpete - Saturday, May 08, 2010 at 18:24

Saturday, May 08, 2010 at 18:24
myself an another vehicle did a very similar trip the week following anzac weekend . the top couple of Ks of Biily Goat Bluff is very badly rutted an very rocky . Butcher country trk is worse especially the closer you get to Mc Alister Rvr.
I trashed the side wall of a brand new STT on it . its a shocker .
Zeka Spur is the worst I have ever seen it .very badly rutted and rocky ,its had a lot of water running down the wheel ruts and its just huge rock outcrop .
very slow travelling ,nearly 2 hrs to do Zeka . hope you have plenty of ground clearance, I also damaged my rear T/Shaft on one of the 3 tracks .
cheers mechpete .
ps all the tracks are open out of the Gatta .
AnswerID: 415873

Follow Up By: daoverdyk - Saturday, May 08, 2010 at 21:23

Saturday, May 08, 2010 at 21:23
Thanks MechPete, very valuable information. I wil pass it onto my 4x4 crew as zeka sounds alot worse than when i was last on it. I guess the weather on the day will dictate exactly which way we go. Did you cross the wonnangatta river at eaglevale track? I keep reading that its quite deep.
FollowupID: 685996

Follow Up By: mechpete - Saturday, May 08, 2010 at 21:56

Saturday, May 08, 2010 at 21:56
Hey .
no sorry we didn,t cross the wonangatta Rvr there . we crossed it coming from Humphrey river track .
chers Pete
FollowupID: 686004

Follow Up By: Tim - Stratford (VIC) - Sunday, May 09, 2010 at 01:27

Sunday, May 09, 2010 at 01:27
daoverdyk,

f the Eaglevale crossing is too deep there is another option - but it is only marginally better - once down Billygoats turn right ans head back to Kingwell Bridge and then follow the track towards Talbotville. There is a by-pass track the avoids the first two crossings leaving only a few which are generally better than at Eaglevale. Then pick up Cynthia Spur from the begining and head towards Wonnongatta.

Tim

PS - let us know how you get on - I'm doing a very similar trip on the 26th May.
FollowupID: 686021

Follow Up By: daoverdyk - Sunday, May 09, 2010 at 09:59

Sunday, May 09, 2010 at 09:59
Thanks Tim,

Good point, just had a look at the map and i guess thats not a bad option, Up conway track and then a left onto randalls track to rejoin with cynthia range. We have been to the bottom of randalls in the past and generally has been only just passable it is quite a deep passage and we have had a few bikes drowned there. Seeing that we are camping at eaglevale I might do a bit of reconnaisance the night before our intended crossing. Worse case we do as you've said and head for the kingswell bridge. Thanks for the input and I will definitley give you a report back sometime in the week 17th may. I'm only new to this site but am already seeing the advantages of local knowledge.

Cheers Dave.O
FollowupID: 686037

Follow Up By: daoverdyk - Monday, May 17, 2010 at 20:36

Monday, May 17, 2010 at 20:36
Hey Tim, had a ball on the weekend, Ive posted some info on another thread which I think you also have replied too (someone asking about zeka spur), so check over there for more info on our experience. Thanks Dave.O
FollowupID: 687160

Sponsored Links