Tyre for CSR

Submitted: Saturday, May 08, 2010 at 16:42
ThreadID: 78308 Views:2942 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived

Related Pages

Gday All,

Am sure you are all sick of the tyre questions, but here's another.
We are doing the CSR in june and where as im comfortable with all things for the trip tyre's are my 1 issue. I have goodyear silent armours fitted , but not the LT version the AT/SA which is still the kevlar belt , but a slight different tread pattern. They have about 17,00ks on them including the gibb rv rd and the likes and have proved faultless so far.
We are going via the gunbarrel, so seeing as though I have spent a bucket load already, should I be looking at a more agrresive tread or MT or will they suffice..I am taking 7 tyres.

Any advice would be great,

Thanks and Cheers Ean
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mick O - Saturday, May 08, 2010 at 17:27

Saturday, May 08, 2010 at 17:27
Ean,

the Canning is one of those tracks that taken with forthought, you should should escape many tyre issues. I’m not personally familiar with the goodyear silent armour although have read a bit about them. Providing you are not overloaded to billy-o, your suspension is up to the task and you drive according to the conditions using tyre pressure appropriately, I’d say you would be fine. I’ve passed stock Prado’s and wait for it, a Toyota Rav 4 full of uni students on the Canning. Weight will be a big factor for the tyres so you’d want to consider your final GVM and the tyres load rating as a consideration bearing in mind you may well be running them at very low pressures.

Cheers Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 415864

Follow Up By: Bullet2Deadly - Saturday, May 08, 2010 at 17:53

Saturday, May 08, 2010 at 17:53
Thanks Mick,
I have factered those into the equasion and think the load should be ok, dont think we will be to overloaded, just read a tyre comparo and the goodyears rated very poorly, but in saying that 1 of the top tyre's I have all sorts of problems when I used to use that brand, so I know it comes down to driver and pressure,s but its always good to seek advice from those that have the expierience of the trip..

The other cars are the same so betwwen us we should be ok..

Thanks again for the reply,

Cheers Ean
FollowupID: 685940

Follow Up By: Mick O - Saturday, May 08, 2010 at 18:16

Saturday, May 08, 2010 at 18:16
Cheers Ean, sounds like you're on top of it. I've done the Canning thrice on Cooper ST's with hardly an issue. It is becoming horrendously corrugated in many stretches as the years progress. Ever increasing volume of traffic no doubt. You'll find that you'll be running the tyres low on the corrugatuions to assist the shocks so keep an eye on them as they may get some fine radial cracking in the tyre shoulder due to the harsh treatment. I'm giving the Toyo Open Country MT's a run this year.

Mick

''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 685947

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Saturday, May 08, 2010 at 19:33

Saturday, May 08, 2010 at 19:33
Stick with your Silent Armours, they are a good AT tyre, and air down well for the bad corrugations and the soft sand. I used them when they first came out and had a good run. I used them on the Canning too!
AnswerID: 415882

Follow Up By: Bullet2Deadly - Saturday, May 08, 2010 at 21:19

Saturday, May 08, 2010 at 21:19
Thanks Phil, will see how they go, had no probs so far so will keep them on.

Cheers and thanks Ean
FollowupID: 685994

Reply By: Whitey1 - Monday, May 10, 2010 at 20:02

Monday, May 10, 2010 at 20:02
We did the canning last june in our 120 Prado with BF Goodrich AT. Had no tyre probs at all. Ran them at about 20psi from start to finish going North. Took our time and watched where I was driving! Take it easy and you'll be fine.
AnswerID: 416160

Reply By: Indigo Jones (QLD) - Monday, May 10, 2010 at 22:24

Monday, May 10, 2010 at 22:24
I'd say if you ditched half the spares and that trailer your tyres will be fine - what recovery vehicle are you using ?
AnswerID: 416192

Sponsored Links