murray darling floods

Submitted: Monday, May 10, 2010 at 20:24
ThreadID: 78373 Views:3985 Replies:8 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hiya all....
Just came back from a few days up Lake Victoria and were hugely dissappointed with the water level of the lake. or lack of !!!!!!
I WAS expecting to see it at capacity.... not at the level it is !!!!!!!
I know they are letting a bit of water down rufus river to the murray but not any more than pre flood times.
I had planned to tour the menindee lakes aswell however time was an issue this time.
What are the real current levels of the lakes as I have read they wont come close to filling them.
It also appears that we down here in SA will be cut the rough deal and not receive any worth while flood waters only to be drip fed minimum amounts by the NSW dictators.
The news on this topic has died very quickly here in adelaide and I believe we will contiue to endure a failing river whilst NSW retains all the water.
I also hear there has been huge water diversions from these floods in NSW for the sole reason that we receive minimal amounts.
Where has all the water gone........ its been over 2 months now !!!!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Dave B ( BHQ NSW) - Monday, May 10, 2010 at 20:40

Monday, May 10, 2010 at 20:40
All the water in the Darling catchment in NSW is under the control of the Murray Darling Basin Committee now, not the NSW Govt.

Daily Darling River levels

Dave
'Wouldn't be dead for quids'

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 416173

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Monday, May 10, 2010 at 21:21

Monday, May 10, 2010 at 21:21
Have a look here at the Murray darling Basin Authority for up to date info on river and storage levels.

Cheers
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 416183

Reply By: Fab72 - Tuesday, May 11, 2010 at 09:39

Tuesday, May 11, 2010 at 09:39
Did you expect anything other. The election is over, Rann is in hiding again until the next good news story strikes.
AnswerID: 416233

Reply By: DIO - Tuesday, May 11, 2010 at 10:41

Tuesday, May 11, 2010 at 10:41
First I've actually heard anyone claim the the River Murray and Darling were in 'flood'. Many of the triutries feeding into the Darling (above the Menindie Lakes) had been in flood but that was about the extent of it. The River Murray downstream of Wentworth has been receiving some flow but that's hardly a 'flood'.

FLOOD: a great flowing or overflowing of water, esp. over land not usually submerged.

The level of water in Lake Victoria fluctuates regularly. I imagine that authorities have allowed the level to drop in anticipation of in-flow from the water still making it's way down from the Menindie Lakes and to also get some water into the Lower Lakes (a real political 'hot-potato'). It is all controlled by SA Water Corporation.

OF INTEREST

Role of Lake Victoria
Lake Victoria plays a critical role in increasing the efficiency in the operation of the River Murray system:

¦provides storage capacity for all water that enters the River Murray below Hume Dam, and the Darling River below Menindee Lakes, or spills from these storages;
¦has a capacity of 680 gigalitres of water which is equal to approximately three months peak entitlement flow to South Australia;
¦is used to balance South Australia's entitlements by storing water in periods of high flow and releasing water when flows are low;
¦re-regulates surplus flow, for example, in summer there may be a reduction in irrigation as a result of thunderstorms and a corresponding increase in river flow, which can be stored in Lake Victoria for supply to South Australia later;
¦migrates against the flow restructions imposed by a narrow section of the Murray known as Barmah Choke (near Echuca);
¦provides a buffer for the dilution of high salinity water in the lower Murray; and
¦provides environmental benefits by managing high river flows to produce a flow that optimises the environmental benefits downstream of the Lake, by enhancing, mitigating or prolonging a flood peak depending upon the particular circumstances at the time.
The operation of the the Lake is based on a number of principles including the harmony of operation between Lake Victoria and Menindee Lakes salinity management guidelines, water storage and re-regulation requirements and management of environmental flows.

This water then left the lake as the Rufus River which re-enters the Murray further downstream. The present lake was formed in 1928 by the construction of a 52 km-long earthen embankment around the original depression and acts as a water-balance storage to ensure water entitlements to South Australia.
AnswerID: 416241

Follow Up By: fishwenican - Wednesday, May 12, 2010 at 19:50

Wednesday, May 12, 2010 at 19:50
No one was actually claiming that the murray was in flood !!!!!!!!!!!
I AM also aware how the muray darling catchment works !!!!!!!
I was under the impression from all reports that the darling WAS infact in flood.
My querie was purely one on where the hell are OUR flood waters from the Qld and NSW rains that we should be expecting when ever ????????
I also stated that it was dissappointing not to see any real level of water in Lake Vic that reflected these so called " record " rain falls.
As for the menindee lakes .!!!!!!!!!
It is sheer criminal neglect to allow such large amounts of water to fill dried out lakes that serve no real purpose other than store water for a short period and allow it to be wasted through huge levels of evaporation. When instead no river saving water will make it to the murray here in SA because of this calous decision.
IF the murray had any chance of being replenished it appears now that that has passed.
The river needs a reasonable flood level to restore its aling condition.
However as long as those parasite irrigators in NSW and Qld that grow rice and cotton have their filthy hands on so much over allocated water we indeed have no chance here.

FollowupID: 686561

Reply By: Spitster - Tuesday, May 11, 2010 at 14:30

Tuesday, May 11, 2010 at 14:30
Last time I looked all the water coming down the Darling actually came from NSW!!!
AnswerID: 416272

Follow Up By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Tuesday, May 11, 2010 at 14:34

Tuesday, May 11, 2010 at 14:34
So the biggest floods ever recorded in QLD didn't cross the border into NSW then??

No wonder Cubbie Station is rubbing their hands with glee.

Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 686383

Reply By: JR - Tuesday, May 11, 2010 at 18:18

Tuesday, May 11, 2010 at 18:18
2 months doesnt even get the floods far into NSW. Water entering SA now was from XMAS rains.
Apparantly water hasnt broken banks much BUT is a prolonged high river
Menidee upper lakes are full, and significant water will flow into main lakes - this means SA will have some water stored for next year!!!

Cubby and others had full storages well before any of the recent floods went through. Incidently they are for sale due to several (like 7) years of ZERO water and therfore zero income.

NSW govt made descision to let water go which SHOULD have been stored in Menindee. Instead they let a fair bit go to wet up the bottom of the massive Lk Victoria etc. Purely politically motivated. Now we have thousands of ha of lakes in NSW and downstream with a dribble in the bottom to dissappear. Keep in mind water in Menindee largely there to keep supply to SA so it should be kept as efficiently as possible. By letting the 100Gl or so down has wasted a large part of it, but kept SOME South Australians quiet for a while
Lk Vic 680Gl is more than twice the entire flood I think, so it was never going to fill.

Regarding recent floods, seeing as an unusual amount of the QLD water will flow through Paroo region a massive amount will be soaked up out there. We also have no idea until it reenters the Darling how much is coming. Theres every chance NONE will get back into the river. Its only ever broken back into the main river once of twice since whites arrived, In which case the second flow may not be all that much

If you look at history the real volume needs to come via Murray to fill lakes and these upper areas are still in severe drought. Dams are historically low and it will take some years of above average rain to fill them and spill excess low value water to SA

Its taken 10 years to dry the eastern states out this much, it isnt going to fill up again with one heavy rain in Qld.
AnswerID: 416302

Follow Up By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Tuesday, May 11, 2010 at 18:32

Tuesday, May 11, 2010 at 18:32
JR,

From reports I heard the total estimated water to pass St george on the Balonne River was 6665GL which is just a little more than the 680GL you quoted LOL

Cubbie Station alone went from empty to Full and the harvested an estimated 400+GL

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 686423

Reply By: JR - Wednesday, May 12, 2010 at 09:32

Wednesday, May 12, 2010 at 09:32
Kev, I believe you and my nuimbers are probably way wrong BUT my point was that the water which has reached SA now is from Dec 09
So not the water still coming - This next lot, no one knows how much will leave QLD or NSW until it enters (or doesnt) the Darling which could be a while yet. Its nothing more than a guess until it gets into a central river.

I did some looking and see that
Theres only 6000 odd Gl in storage vs 22000GL capacity in the entire Murray/Darling basin as of 5/5/10 around 27% full.
Lake Vic is nearing 70% full so not sure what they are complaining about, also theres 100GL of "dead storage" ie water they cant get out again, which is a massive percent of availiable storage, Menindee has 36 dead for 1700GL and it is considered inefficient.
Only storages which have higher % full is in Condamine Balonne, rest of the storages in the whole MDC are down below 20%, some below 10%
AnswerID: 416373

Follow Up By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Wednesday, May 12, 2010 at 11:31

Wednesday, May 12, 2010 at 11:31
JR,

I agree that the Lower MDC needs to get their act together and do a rain dance to assist the Upper MDC to provide some much need water to enter the system ;)
The Upper MDC has done their fair share and still seems to be coping the blame for the lack of water in the lower MDC.

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 686499

Reply By: daverobbo5 - Wednesday, May 12, 2010 at 11:25

Wednesday, May 12, 2010 at 11:25
Check out the high water levels in Outback NSW in April 2010 . Here's what I saw camping at Bourke and trying to get to Brewarrina by Zodiac on the Darling river last month.

Camping at Bourke & boating on Darling River.wmv

at this link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQUowjWlYfI
AnswerID: 416387

Sponsored Links