Boulia to Alice via the Plenty highway

Has anyone done this road recently? We hope to leave the end of this week with a 100 series and Kimberly Kamper going from Sydney to Boulia, across to Alice, then up the Tanami and then the loop from Bungles to Cape Leveque and back to Darwin via the GBR.
Think we have gotten to the bottom of the Kamper and battery charging and testing all that now. Thanks for all the replies on that thread.

Now, the Plenty, can anyone tell me how long I should estimate for it and any special needs. Final packing is under way. Toyota is raised and has a snorkel, plus dual diesel tanks. We need to be at the Bungles 28th May and Darwin 28th June.

Thanks,
Wife of Phil who has to do the navigating!! make a cuppa and do the time estimates.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: happytravelers - Monday, May 10, 2010 at 21:39

Monday, May 10, 2010 at 21:39
Thanks for posting this thread as you saved me the trouble. I was also just about to ask for any recent reports on the Plenty Hwy. as we are going the same way as you in about four weeks time. I know it's only been recently reopened but was just wondering what condition it's in.

Jon
AnswerID: 416185

Reply By: D200Dug- Monday, May 10, 2010 at 23:12

Monday, May 10, 2010 at 23:12
I have not done this road for quite a few years now but when we got to Boulia we heard horror stories of how bad the road was and how damaging it was to cars and tyres.

One large 4x4 had ripped 2 tyres to shreds on the rocks another had smashed much of his subframe on a washout.

We were on the verge of abandoning our planned route and taking the longer route through Mt Isa.

We decided to give it a go and headed off saying we would turn back as soon as the going got rough.

We sat on about 60 kph down to 20 kph in sections but we kept going waiting for the horror stretches we had been told about.

6 hours or so later we arrived at the NT QLD border and had not seen anything close to bad road conditions!

we easily traveled road that had smashed big 4x4s in a little 2 wheel drive toyota ute :-)

The moral is take it slow and drive to the conditions.

We passed and stopped to help several 4x4s on the track with busted tyres all of them had been sitting on 100kph on a rough stony road that chewed tyres at that speed.

We did not have any damage or trouble at all.
AnswerID: 416198

Follow Up By: Member - Bucky - Tuesday, May 11, 2010 at 06:46

Tuesday, May 11, 2010 at 06:46
D200Dug

All too familiar story.

I broke my truck.. Boo Hoo !
Tyres are crap"....Boo Hoo!

Then with a few simple questions all is revealed, " I have a 4x4, loaded up, and will do 100 km/hr plus no matter what"

My attitude is let them.... let them destroy everything, as those type of people cannot be told anyway.

I travel to conditions, and let tyres down accordingly, and slow down according to tyre pressures..

It's not rocket science, just common sence & safety

Cheers
Bucky

FollowupID: 686309

Reply By: mikehzz - Monday, May 10, 2010 at 23:46

Monday, May 10, 2010 at 23:46
My story is very similar. It's just a gravel road that gets beaten about in places until they grade it again. Done slowly you should have no problems. I was amazed at how fast some people were going over the rocks and ruts...asking for it. Still doing 800 or so kms at 40-60kph is not everyones cup of tea. I passed several towies with busted forbies on the tray during my trip last August.
Mike
AnswerID: 416202

Reply By: Member - Steve O (QLD) - Tuesday, May 11, 2010 at 10:02

Tuesday, May 11, 2010 at 10:02
we have spoken to a guy who had just towed his van over the plenty with a nissan last week, he stated it was quite bad in places, he had sustained window damage to his van from rocks kicked up by another vehicle..he was not a happy camper! He did add however that there were crews working from both ends doing road repairs..hope this helps..Cheers Steve.
AnswerID: 416236

Sponsored Links