what would you say was a must see in wa?????

Hi guys, Im a first time user of this site but looks great so far. At the moment my wife and Í are in perth, after having spent the last 4 months in kalgoolie topping up the bank balance (a necessary but evil part of our travelling experience). Now as the weather is getting a bit cooler we thought we might travel north but not really sure what to look at or the best places to stay and were hoping to use your knowledge. So if you could suggest a great place to stay or something well worth looking at, that would be awesome so thanks in advance jason & jayne P.S we have two dogs and are trying to watch the pennys
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Wednesday, May 12, 2010 at 12:51

Wednesday, May 12, 2010 at 12:51
Hello Jason and Jayne,
Welcome to the site, there is a vast amount of information here that will help to answer the very large question that you have asked. I wont try to answer in other than very general terms - this time of the year the Kimberley and the Pilbara are great places to be. If you need to top up your finances from time to time (and who doesn't?) maybe basing yourselves in Kununurra would be good, as from there you are close to heaps of wonderful places like the Bungles, Gibb River Rd, El Questro, Lake Argyle, Keep River and so on. Dogs will be a bit of a limitation for National Parks.
You can search this site, perhaps starting with the Places button in the blur bar across the tops, and also by searching the blogs to see where others have gone.

Enjoy your travels,

Cheers,

Val
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 416396

Reply By: Olsen's 4WD Tours and Training - Wednesday, May 12, 2010 at 13:14

Wednesday, May 12, 2010 at 13:14
Tough question! WA is a BIG place.
AnswerID: 416397

Reply By: Member - Phil 'n Jill (WA) - Wednesday, May 12, 2010 at 13:23

Wednesday, May 12, 2010 at 13:23
Hi Young'ns

Agree with Val - so much choice....
The northern half of WA is magic at this time of year for some months and most roads in good order.

Last year we found dogs ok at Kununurra in the Agrigultrual showgrounds only.Wyndham CP was ok with dogs, as was the Roebuck Bay CP at the Broome T'off - but no CP in Broome will allow them. Some locals make their own arrangements in the outlying larger blocks.
From memory Barn Hill - an hour south of Broome was okay with them.

Don't think many other towns totally exclude them.
This year we were okay at Shark Bay with pets.

Some parks exclude pets at peak season, which is about now for north of state, so any tourist info bureau in Perth worth their salt should be able to check details on your behalf - worth a visit.

Enjoy yourselves ( and be the envy of those who can't be there too)
Phil 'n Jill (WA)

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 416399

Reply By: Neil & Pauline - Wednesday, May 12, 2010 at 16:20

Wednesday, May 12, 2010 at 16:20
Don't miss Karijini and Mill Stream.

Neil
AnswerID: 416415

Follow Up By: Patrol22 - Wednesday, May 12, 2010 at 17:30

Wednesday, May 12, 2010 at 17:30
I agree to a point.....gotta say I was gorged out in Karijini after about the 3rd day....and the Mill Stream...well apart from a few hours visiting the homestead, and a bushwalk or 3..I don't think this place is a standout visit. My favourite spot was some distance away at the Python Pool. Good for a visit but I don't think I would go back to either of these National Parks again.....now Kalbari and the Murchison well that's another matter.....would live in this locality if it wasn't so far from the kids and grandkids.
FollowupID: 686536

Reply By: Mark Howlett - Wednesday, May 12, 2010 at 16:46

Wednesday, May 12, 2010 at 16:46
Don't miss the Pinnacles on your way up.

We stayed at Monkey Mia and had 2 cruises on the bay - there's so much more than dolphins! The tip of Cape Peron was something too.

Exmouth if you time it right, you might catch some turtles laying eggs and/or the young ones hatching (wait till you see the crabs lining the beach waiting for a meal!).

Karijini is a must-see, do both ends of the park.

80 mile beach for unbelievable fishing and tides.

Cape Leveque and it's communities.

Purnululu (Bungles), WOW.

Windjana Gorge and Tunnel Creek, hard to believe it was once ocean.

Litchfield, take your togs.

There's lots more we haven't seen and can't wait to head over again.

Mark.
AnswerID: 416417

Reply By: Member - joc45 (WA) - Wednesday, May 12, 2010 at 17:33

Wednesday, May 12, 2010 at 17:33
On the way up north, Kalbarri will be nice this time of year, only a day's drive from Perth. Stay a few days and walk the gorges and the cliffs, then keep moving north, as it's only gonna get colder!
Monkey Mia or Steep Point will be nice, then on to Carnarvon, Quobba, Gnaraloo, Ningaloo NP, Exmouth. Better to get to these places earlier than later, as by August, the strong SE winds start to come in, making the otherwise pleasant weather downright uncomfortable.
Then move to Karajini NP, Millstream. Worth it is getting a travel permit from Hammersley Iron, either at Dampier or Tom Price office, and driving the maintenance track along the railway line between these two places. Some magic scenery.
Cossack, near Roebourne, is a historic place worth visiting, and Point Sampson to camp (if room avail).
Hate to say it, but Hedland is not much to see, just iron ore dust, but then move on to the Kimberley. You won't be bored!
Gerry
AnswerID: 416422

Reply By: Member - Josh (TAS) - Wednesday, May 12, 2010 at 20:22

Wednesday, May 12, 2010 at 20:22
Welcome to the site guys. WA is an amzing place to see so take your time. Have to agree with joc45, Steep point well worth a look and good fishing, Quobba staion is a great place to stay. You can either stay at the station or at the campground. When you drive in you come to the blow hole, worth a look, turn left to the campground which is also a great place to snorkel, or turn right to quobba station. Again good fishing along there. The pinnicles just north of perth is good. Up the top, well, you could spent 12 months just up there. 80 mile beach is great for a stop. the camel ride at cable beach-broome. Take your time on the gibb river rd as there is a lot to see. Wyndham croc farm is good to see. Enjoy your time as it is amzing how much there is out there.

Josh
AnswerID: 416459

Follow Up By: Member - joc45 (WA) - Thursday, May 13, 2010 at 00:00

Thursday, May 13, 2010 at 00:00
Should have added:
Month of May can still be pretty nice, even down the SW - Albany thru to Margaret River via the Karri country.
V. cold nights, but can be nice sunny days. June onwards, though, forget it - head north asap.

FollowupID: 686607

Reply By: Maîneÿ . . .- Wednesday, May 12, 2010 at 21:43

Wednesday, May 12, 2010 at 21:43
Have you been *down* to Esperance, Albany, Margaret River, Dunsborough and Busselton ??

Maîneÿ . . .
AnswerID: 416476

Reply By: Motherhen - Wednesday, May 12, 2010 at 23:24

Wednesday, May 12, 2010 at 23:24
Hi Jason and Jayne

For National Parks your dogs will need to go into boarding of course.

Amongst favourites of mine are (not in any order)

In the south -
Coastline east of Esperance
Karri forests of the deep SW
Heading north -
Kalbarri
Ningaloo coastline
Karajini - wonderful
Millstream-Chichester
Scenery around Tom Price
The Kimberley; in particular the Gibb River Road with off shoots to the Mitchell Plateau and Kalumburu. Purnululu. The Ord scheme at Kununurra - so much lovely fresh water. My Blogs from our 2008 Kimberley trip show some of the places we enjoyed.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 416487

Reply By: kym111 - Thursday, May 13, 2010 at 00:09

Thursday, May 13, 2010 at 00:09
Hi Jason & Jayne
My family just spent Easter in Shark Bay, camping up at Herald Bight on the Peron Peninsula.

Just a couple of warnings - 1080 baits are EVERYWHERE in the Shark Bay region, so watch your dogs! My parents lost their kelpie pup earlier in the year to a bait up there (Goulet Bluff).
Also, dogs and fires are not permitted in the national park area up there, basically the Peron bleep ula area, and rangers patrol it daily. But you can camp freely in many areas. We checked out most sights, and found the spot we'd picked at Herald Bight the best (turn right, or south from the main beach entrance). The track takes an hour from the turnoff just out of Denham, to get to Herald Bight on the beach. If you want to camp on the west side, Cattle Well is the best, most protected, spot, but a bit hard to get into. Definitely 4wd and nothing bigger than a light camper trailer only.

Dolphin feeding at Monkey Mia is done at 7.30am, 9.00am and 11.00am.

Pinnacles at Cervantes is great, as is the Coal Seam out of Mingenew.

For free camping, get yourselves a copy of the book "A guide to priceless campsites and rest areas in the north of Western Australia" by Jan Holland. It's worth it's weight, as it has mud maps, gps readings, general track conditions and tourist info. I'm a local to Midwest WA (Geraldton), and this book has been one of my best buys.

For park fees, go to your nearest Dept Environment & Conservation office - buy a park pass and you won't need to pay camping fees in the national parks! They can get quite expensive!

Hope this helps, and I hope you enjoy our fabulous state!
Regards
Kym111
AnswerID: 416492

Reply By: CruisinDub - Thursday, May 13, 2010 at 04:36

Thursday, May 13, 2010 at 04:36
Hi Mate,
its like saying "whats to see from melbourne to Port Douglas"
WA is 1/3 of Of Australia. How could you sum it up in a few places? Me perosnally, I love the southwest/great southern, particularly Esperance/Albany, other will tell you equally/if not more, wonderful places further north. At least the travelling down south is not as hard core hours in the drivers seat. Depends on time/location/vehicle etc etc.

I remember driving north towards Karatha when listening to BBC radio and there was a discusion about how there is a shortage of land for housing in Australia. I looked out the window, laughed and commented about how baren and deserted the place was. Red and nothing.
.... bloody beautiful.
Depends what you like mate, goldfields, wheatbelt, Pilbarra, Kimberley, Great southern, southwest, Gascoyne, mid west,

Take your pick.

p.s. I only love the southwest/great southern because thats where I'm from.

Rest assured, wherever you decide, you will either love it or hate it.
My moneys on that you'll love it.
(If you dont you should have stayed in the city.) Perth is probably the greatest city in the world anyhow. in my opinion anyhow !

If your just following the weather, head north.
(Southwest/Great southern in winter is equally as beautiful.)

AnswerID: 416495

Reply By: young nomads - Thursday, May 13, 2010 at 10:51

Thursday, May 13, 2010 at 10:51
thanks very much guys a lot of good advice.now the hard part deciding where and for how long. cant wait to get going just trying to find someone to supply and fit solar to our van before we head off but it seems very expensive compared to what you would get if you were doing your house .enough of my problems so once again cheers and maybe we will cross paths on the road
AnswerID: 416512

Sponsored Links