Eyre Peninsula S.A. - do's and dont's

Submitted: Wednesday, May 12, 2010 at 18:45
ThreadID: 78423 Views:4001 Replies:6 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
OK, we have 3 -5 days to explore Eyre Peninsula in late October.

Never been there before. All of you who have been there done that
suggestions please.

We will be in our 4wd's, probably towing campers and don't mind a bit of fishing
although not overly keen.

All help gratefully accepted.

Wayne.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Wednesday, May 12, 2010 at 20:04

Wednesday, May 12, 2010 at 20:04
There's no dont's Wayne.

Depending on which direction you are coming in from, simply travel down one side of the peninsula and up the other.

Perhaps the south western side is more "rugged" but there is plenty of places worthy of a look see.

One or two days around Port Lincoln, an overnight in Streaky Bay (checking out Murphy's Haystacks on the way in or way out) and anywhere else that takes your fancy.

Late October is probably at the end of Whale watching season, otherwise a camping base at Fowler's Bay is within cruising range of "Head of the Bight".

Wherever you choose to stay you should find good old Country hospitality is in abundance. Enjoy your trip.

P.S. there is an excellent booklet available called "Eyre Peninsula - Nature's Playground" which I'm looking at right now. This should be available from the Automobile Association in your home state and gives valuable information on all the towns and attractions throughout the Peninsula.

You could also look at southaustralia.com/eyrepeninsula.info for more research material.

I am in the process of planning an itinerary for a trip of three vehicles from Adelaide to the Gawler Ranges and West Coast of the Peninsula and return for two weeks in September.

Bill.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 416449

Follow Up By: Fred G NSW - Wednesday, May 12, 2010 at 20:27

Wednesday, May 12, 2010 at 20:27
Will them senational KGW be on the chew in July Bill ???

Fred.
FollowupID: 686574

Follow Up By: Tonyfish#58 - Wednesday, May 12, 2010 at 20:43

Wednesday, May 12, 2010 at 20:43
Forget it - Spend all your time at Denial Bay EATING OYSTERS - The best I have ever found - we ate 12 doz of them in 2 days :-)

Otherwise As Sand Man Says - There are a lot of great places
FollowupID: 686583

Reply By: Fred G NSW - Wednesday, May 12, 2010 at 20:05

Wednesday, May 12, 2010 at 20:05
Hey True Blue...is it me and you ??? Seriously though Wayne, I'll be down at Arno Bay from about the 9th to 15th July....so keen to see what the responses are to this Q The people we are visiting have told us it will be brass monkey weather then, but unless ya in FNQ it will be everywhere else as well I guess.

Cheers from Fred.
AnswerID: 416450

Reply By: 4running - Wednesday, May 12, 2010 at 20:34

Wednesday, May 12, 2010 at 20:34
The Lincoln National park is a must see, fantastic sand dune driving and great fishing spots along the way. Should be able to catch yourself some nice salmon and large west coast tommie ruffs without too much trouble!. The Coffin Bay National Park on the other side of the bleep ula is also worth a look aswell with great 4wdriving, good fishing and spectacular scenery that the west coast of SA is known for. Head into the tourist office in Port Lincoln for Maps etc. There are Tuna Farm tours available also, the tourist office will be able to supply more info. I lived in Port Lincoln for a few years as a young fella and absolutely love the place...im sure you will enjoy your trip!
AnswerID: 416462

Follow Up By: Ianw - Wednesday, May 12, 2010 at 21:38

Wednesday, May 12, 2010 at 21:38
See what happens when you forget an "n"
Ian
FollowupID: 686594

Follow Up By: 4running - Wednesday, May 12, 2010 at 22:03

Wednesday, May 12, 2010 at 22:03
umm yes that was suppose to say Peninsula!!!! should have used the spellchecker!!!!
FollowupID: 686597

Reply By: Member - Murray R (VIC) - Wednesday, May 12, 2010 at 22:07

Wednesday, May 12, 2010 at 22:07
Wayne
Point Labatt Cons Parks seal colony, Talia baech and caves on the weat coastSheringa Beach also has good camping. Spalding Cove in Lincoln NP good beach camping and sand driving. Coffin Bay NP good camping and sand driving . Whalers Way south of Port Lincoln also good.
Moody Tank interesring way of catching water [see "places"for co ordinates] its near Ungarra. Pildappa Rock nth of Minnipa on the Eyre Hwy is a mini wave rock with camping. All east coast towns worth alook also.
Maybe catch the ferry back from Lucky Bay to Wallaroo on Yorke Peninsula but could be expensive if towing camper. Have a good trip.

Murray
Another Mexican

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 416479

Follow Up By: DIO - Thursday, May 13, 2010 at 10:33

Thursday, May 13, 2010 at 10:33
Before committing to a ferry crossing, check this LINK as it has not been operating since Seaway was sold in August 2009. (It was a capable large ferry desigend to carry large trucks etc but owing to traffic restrictions through Wallaroo, it's potential was apparently never realised) A new ferry is being constructed in SA (the Aurora) and it is hoped that it will/might be operational by mid 2010.
FollowupID: 686632

Reply By: Member - Barnesy - Thursday, May 13, 2010 at 00:19

Thursday, May 13, 2010 at 00:19
Coffin Bay NP. Find out when low tide is and go right out past mile beach. I love this place.
AnswerID: 416493

Reply By: True Blue - Thursday, May 13, 2010 at 18:57

Thursday, May 13, 2010 at 18:57
When I first started dating my misses, everytime we dined out she would have the whiting.

We have now been married 39 years and it would be nice if we could catch one or two for old times sakes. Not to mention that we still both love them, and who wouldn't.

Thanks to you all for your great suggestions. I will print out this thread and talk it
over with my fellow travellers in our group for our Oct trip.

It all sounds great. Thank you Bill, I will chase up that booklet .

Tony, did all those oysters have, well you know, any affect ? (wink, wink)
No second thoughts, forget I asked.

Thanks again everyone and happy travels to you all.

Cheers,
Wayne
AnswerID: 416567

Follow Up By: landseka - Thursday, May 13, 2010 at 20:26

Thursday, May 13, 2010 at 20:26
When you can buy your fresh (live) oysters for $6.50 a doz who cares if they all work? lol

If you get to Streaky Bay check out the pub, it is a brilliant example of a community pub.

Also don't miss the shark museum in the back room of the Shell S/s, it uis an eye-opener.

Go wading between tha Caravan Park and the boat ramp and collect some Razorfish.. Smash them open & eat the hearts raw, even better than oysters....yuuuum. If you are sooky, egg & breadcrumb them and quickly fry them.

Cheers Neil.
FollowupID: 686706

Sponsored Links