New ''Chip It'' Power chips?

Submitted: Wednesday, May 12, 2010 at 19:46
ThreadID: 78428 Views:15313 Replies:6 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Came across this website while searching chips for my BT50.

Anyone know anything about them, they certainly talk the talk and by the looks of the dyno graphs they can walk the walk too. Sounds like it could be the latest and greatest product, seeing as the gains are great and the price is very low compared to DP chip and others.

Interesting as i had never heard of these guys, i thought i would have read about them somewhere but the name doesnt ring a bell.

Certainly worth a look.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Cruiser .- Wednesday, May 12, 2010 at 20:59

Wednesday, May 12, 2010 at 20:59
is there a link for them
AnswerID: 416469

Follow Up By: Member - mazcan - Wednesday, May 12, 2010 at 21:32

Wednesday, May 12, 2010 at 21:32
hi cruiser
yes just took a punt with this and it came up
www.chipit.com.au
site was quiet impressive including price
but not many vehicles are covered yet
cheers
FollowupID: 686589

Follow Up By: Muntoo - Wednesday, May 12, 2010 at 23:41

Wednesday, May 12, 2010 at 23:41
Whoops, yeah sorry about that. Thread was a bit pointless without a link.

FollowupID: 686603

Reply By: nqdave - Wednesday, May 12, 2010 at 21:54

Wednesday, May 12, 2010 at 21:54
chipit.com.au

They're very active on newtriton.net. I
think the owner has a Triton.

They seem to have lots of fans amongst the Triton owners. This might in part be due to the price and performance of the chip but also because their chip will override the error flag that gets thrown when you put a blank across the EGR return pipe preventing the vehicle periodically going into limp mode (on the Triton at least).

Dave
AnswerID: 416477

Reply By: Al Coholic - Friday, May 14, 2010 at 23:00

Friday, May 14, 2010 at 23:00
I have one of these chips installed on my Triton (yes they are popular on newtriton.net, but there is a reason for that, there ARE that good) there is a few blokes who have upgraded from DP chips and reckon the "Chip IT" wins by a mile. I have had mine on for a few weeks and cannot believe how good it is.

You may not of heard of them because they are a fairly new company only really starting to get their name out there, but what you get is a quality diesel performance chip for much less than half the price of other brands with more features and the ability to custom tune if you wish. There are different levels of tunes to suit everyone depending on what mods you have on your truck.

It is all pretty much covered on their website, but i can tell you these guys really know their stuff and have been mucking around with performance cars for yonks. They have chips for all the current dual cab diesels and a few other vehicles...........give em a go, you wont be disappointed.
AnswerID: 416728

Follow Up By: Off-track - Friday, May 14, 2010 at 23:28

Friday, May 14, 2010 at 23:28
No affiliation?
FollowupID: 686841

Follow Up By: Al Coholic - Sunday, May 16, 2010 at 11:07

Sunday, May 16, 2010 at 11:07
Absolutely no affiliation mate, just a very happy customer. Rob and Justin from Chip IT are active members on newtriton. net and are very helpful to everyone who has any questions for them.

I was able to meet Rob at his place in Sydney (which is how i know a bit about them) as i was having a few problems with my chip when it was first installed, (it turned out i had a small electrical problem with my truck which was cutting the signal to the chip) he was only to happy to spend his time late on a friday arvo to sort out the problem for me.
FollowupID: 686969

Reply By: AlbyNSW - Saturday, May 15, 2010 at 11:00

Saturday, May 15, 2010 at 11:00
There are a few members on the Newhilux forum with them as well, it is early days but the response has been positive.

I have ordered one for my Hilux.
AnswerID: 416760

Reply By: Member - Captain (WA) - Sunday, May 16, 2010 at 08:25

Sunday, May 16, 2010 at 08:25
I had a "Chipit" chip installed on my 200 series cruiser and all I can say is WOW. It feels like the cruiser has lost 500kg of blubber. While the 200 already has heaps of power, it has never felt immediately responsive - my wife describes it as a tank, but she does drive a Mazda CX7 (2.4L turbo petrol rocket). Well now the Chipit 200 a similair feel!

Gone is that initial lethargic feeling and its replaced with lively acceleration from a gentle prod. And stick the boot in and you really feel the difference. I have never chirped all 4 tyres from a standing start before (brake on - apply throttle, then release brake with full throttle) and the TRC didn't cut in because all 4 were chirping!

As we all know (well owners do), the 200 does have a bit of "turbo lag" for want of a better word - give it full throttle from idle and it thinks for 1/2 a second before getting down to business. The Chipit has certainly reduced that lag. It is dramatically improved, but not 100% eliminated and in all likelyhood probably part of the original ECU programming so that a huge amount of torque is not dumped into CV's/gearboxes instantaneously.

Perhaps the best bit of the Chipit is that normal everyday driving (ie granny throttle) it has a markedly improved responce at much lower rpm. The 200 was accelerating noticeably faster from a lower rpm and not kicking down a gear like it normally would - that to me is going to be noticed everyday and is enough reason alone to fit one to a 200.

This fitting was also followed up with a 4wheel dyno run at United Fuel Injection's premises. Several states of tune were tried, including pushing the settings to the point where the ECU backed off the engine power - very good to see you cannot go outside of pre-determined operating ranges and that the Chipit doesn't interfere with these protections.

With the 200 being an auto where you cannot lock it into gear, the max power on the dyno graph is only displayed above ~2000rpm, any lower rpm with full throttle and it kicks down a gear. So, the magic peak numbers were;
227kW@3300rpm and 800Nm@3200rpm.
OEM numbers were;
183kW@3200rpm and 595Nm@2600rpm.

This is a gain of some 32kW and 205Nm. Also, the graph shows a reasonably flat torque curve from 2600rpm to over 4000rpm, unlike the OEM that peaked at 2600rpm and tapered off from that point to ~400Nm @ 4000rpm (but don't forget that below 2000rpm the dyno graph is not full throttle)

As for fuel economy, guess how much throttle I was using :) However, when I did drive normally on the freeway after the dyno, it did appear to have some 10% better economy according to the scanguage - but I have no idea if this needs recalibrating after the Chipit tweaks to the readings so take with a grain of salt my economy reading - but I will post future fuel consumption over time.

The chip and wiring itself are of a very good quality. The plugs are well made, have O-ring seals and simly plug into the original harnass - NO cutting or other modification at all. I used to have a Safari chip on my 3.0GU and it appears to be of equivalent quality. Also, I have a Scanguage and it shows no error codes from the install and according to Chipit the chip is not detectable by Toyota (unless they looked under the bonnet!). Chipit were great to deal with and they spent some 4 hours on fitting, dyno custom tuning and chewing the fat about chips in general. Would I recommend this Chip to anyone - certainly!

I would post the graph of the dyno tune if I knew how to upload a .pdf, I only seem able to upload a jpg.

Cheers

Captain
AnswerID: 416849

Reply By: montana - Sunday, May 16, 2010 at 16:11

Sunday, May 16, 2010 at 16:11
i was impressed to read what there fitters do to the dpf on later model d40 navara,personally i wouldnt go near them when they do and advertise the fact they have done it.you the owner will be left with the fine if caught with it removed.
HERE’S WHAT OUR TUNER HAD TO SAY IN HIS TUNING REPORT.

RE D40:

We got great results & some very interesting tuning.Well to start, standard at the wheels 238ft/lb & 126HP, with the max tune it would allow us (with the Diesel Particulate Filter {DPF} intact [lol] without throwing a high catalyst temp code) was 280ft/lb & 140HP. Over this power level/tune & it gave this error.

Well then we had a play around. ;) I removed the DPF from the vehicle & gutted the it … (its just like a Cat full of ceramic biscuit type material). It appeared very restrictive to say the least. Then we bolted the gutted out DPF back in after
AnswerID: 416908

Sponsored Links