Landcruiser 80R Auto 4.2DT

Submitted: Wednesday, Oct 15, 2003 at 20:54
ThreadID: 7846 Views:1756 Replies:3 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Well I have all the answers I need for the Troopy and the Nissan GQ.

Now I would like to know about the 1992 LC Auto Turbo Diesel(it is the bracket which I can afford).

How good are they and are there any major problems with them?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers

WillieNever a dull moment
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Outnabout David (SA) - Wednesday, Oct 15, 2003 at 21:28

Wednesday, Oct 15, 2003 at 21:28
Willie,

Great vehicles. Plenty of torque. Not the quickest off the mark but once rolling unbelievable power and torque. Knowing you and the fact that you have the G60 I guess you don't want to spin the wheels at the traffic lights but then again there are no traffic lights in Peterborough.

I am sure plenty will get on an tell you about the main bearings that fail and point to to some ugly pictures but think how many of theses vehicles were sold compared to the amount that had problems. When they go as with all diesels they are expensive to fix but if you look carefully you shoukdn't have many problems. The key to diesel and certainly Toyota diesel longevity is regular servicing. My mate has one that now has about 300k on it but every 100K just changes over the bearings as insurance but then I have seen plenty that are still untouched after that mileage. I have also seen a few at 100K blown up but in the main were not serviced regularly or were abused in some sort of way.

At the end of the day Toyota or Nissan or whatever....doesn't matter they are all good vehicles with a handfull of problems versus units sold. As I said most problems are owner related so best advice is to look around and just wait until that pre-loved vehicle turns up. There are plenty out there if you are prepared to wait.We have so little time to enjoy our land
AnswerID: 33957

Follow Up By: Member - Wherethehellawi - Thursday, Oct 16, 2003 at 07:59

Thursday, Oct 16, 2003 at 07:59
Auto? geez and I had this impression that you were a real 4wd driver hehehe

I have had auto, manual, manual and now back to auto. In a lot of places where I have had to use low range in the manuals the auto does it in highh and with out fuss. Supposed to be better for sand too but hey, I am not an expert.

Have driven a 100 series turbo auto and thats what I'll be getting next! Wow! am I cute
If yer ain't fishing, Yer ain't livin
Richard
FollowupID: 24464

Follow Up By: Willie - Thursday, Oct 16, 2003 at 20:09

Thursday, Oct 16, 2003 at 20:09
Thanks David I will keep what you have said in mind.

Richard, yeah, I am just testing the water......but i have to get another 4by and as I am no longer working I can only afford something 10 years or older. Everyone says that autos are brilliant in the bush. I am always sceptical about autos as you cannot tow one etc but then again you can't destroy the clutch with an auto. Maybe it is time for a change...we shall see.
Cheers
Willie
Never a dull moment
FollowupID: 24527

Reply By: Peter L - Sunday, Oct 19, 2003 at 07:54

Sunday, Oct 19, 2003 at 07:54
Willie,
the problems outlined above with regard to bigend bearings were due to a substandard batch of bearing shells and unfortunately related to some major blow ups.
Whilst it is UNFORTUNATE that Toyota didn't do a recall once aware of the problem, I doubt that there would be too many of the affected vehicles still running if the bearings had not been replaced. Toyota have records of those done under warranty and if unsure that they have been replaced it would be wise to do so.

Other than that a small number of people have reported camshaft faults, and due to the constant 4x4 (which is fantastic) there is the possibility of wear in the front CVs of high mileage units.
While the spare tyre must be relocated for real offroad work there is an abundance of aftermarket accessories available as you would be aware.
Coil springs provide excellent comfort but need to be (easily) upgraded for extra load. A 3" mandrell bent exhaust apparently does wonders for performance.

Good luck
AnswerID: 34327

Follow Up By: Willie - Sunday, Oct 19, 2003 at 19:05

Sunday, Oct 19, 2003 at 19:05
Thanks for your feedback Peter....much appreciated.
Cheers,
Willie

Never a dull moment
FollowupID: 24753

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Sunday, Oct 19, 2003 at 18:58

Sunday, Oct 19, 2003 at 18:58
We've had a 90 model and have a 97 model, willie, both turbo Manuals, and both the Bride and i reckon they're Xmas.

Have a 3' exhaust on the latest one and it did make some difference, both to economy, and power. Agree with the sentiments expressed above.

Put cruise on them, and they are the ultimate touring vehicle. Enjoy...

hooroo...
AnswerID: 34376

Follow Up By: Willie - Sunday, Oct 19, 2003 at 19:08

Sunday, Oct 19, 2003 at 19:08
Thanks Bob...I will eventually make a decision. All 4bies are a compromise but I am not sure what I want to compromise :-)))
Cheers,Willie

Never a dull moment
FollowupID: 24754

Sponsored Links