Birdsville Track/Cooper Creek Flood Progress Update

Submitted: Friday, May 14, 2010 at 09:10
ThreadID: 78462 Views:4266 Replies:4 FollowUps:16
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All
I have been trying to get hold of Jason and Patsy for a couple of days and was finally able to get hold of them yesterday morning.

The latest news from on the scene is that Lake Hope is not full yet, but filling at a good rate. The station people along the Track are placing bets as to when the Cooper will cut the Track and Jason has his bets on or about the 20th June. Having seen this type of event before, Jason thinks he will not be very far out, so we will have to see how good he is.

He said that the Station people north of them are still lobbying for the ferry to run. Even though there are reports that it will run, they still have nothing from the Government Departs to say that it will run.

The Birdsville Track is in quite good condition, but the Track is now seeing a greater increase of traffic from Moomba workers, as the Strezelecki is still out.

For those that are still thinking of using the Birdsville Track, you will still have about a month to do it before the Cooper cuts the Track.

Until the next update.

Cheers and Happy Trip Planning.

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Fab72 - Friday, May 14, 2010 at 09:52

Friday, May 14, 2010 at 09:52
With the final touches being added to a trip up the track in late Sept/early Oct and our accomodation along the way all paid up, I am closely monitoring all news about the track.
Your updates are worth their weight in Gold. Thanks Steve. Keep us posted.
AnswerID: 416642

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Friday, May 14, 2010 at 14:09

Friday, May 14, 2010 at 14:09
Hi Fab 72
From reports that I am being told, it is expected to cross the Birdsville Track for around 6 months.

Have a great trip and take lots of photos, as it was 20 years ago when the Cooper last crossed the Birdsville Track.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 686792

Reply By: lollylegs - Friday, May 14, 2010 at 11:08

Friday, May 14, 2010 at 11:08
Last week someone put on a post from Pat Conlon (SA Govt.) that the ferry will be operational if needed. As discussed that subject is now closed.

As far as the Strezelecki goes, it is open and was opened Mon or Tues this week.

Reg
AnswerID: 416649

Follow Up By: zook - Friday, May 14, 2010 at 11:10

Friday, May 14, 2010 at 11:10
Reg

Does that mean the Strezelecki is open all the way to Innamincka or just to Moomba?

zook
FollowupID: 686775

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Friday, May 14, 2010 at 11:48

Friday, May 14, 2010 at 11:48
zook,
This report gets updated daily:
http://www.transport.sa.gov.au/quicklinks/northern_roads/area1.asp

The way I read it, its open to Innamincka.
FollowupID: 686782

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Friday, May 14, 2010 at 14:32

Friday, May 14, 2010 at 14:32
Hi Reg
Like you say, the Strezelecki was only opened this week, but when it was closed, that is when the Birdsville Track was getting the extra traffic.

As for the ferry will be operational if needed, that is more than the locals are being told up there. The "if needed" is the joke part of the statement from the Minister of Transport. How will vehicle traffic get north of Etadunna if the ferry does not run??

The amount of water that is coming down the Cooper from locals that live out there is that the Cooper WILL cross the Birdsville Track, it is now a matter when it crosses and not if it may cross.

What I suggest is that you give some of the local a phone call up on the Birdsville Track and hear their thoughts of the lack of consultation from our State Government.

As far as my contacts Jason and Patsy, you can not get any more reliable information, as they are on Etadunna Station, where the flood detour passes through.

I am only passing on information that is given to me first hand, information that I am often asked from members via MM.

I will keep you informed when I find out any more information.

Stephen

Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 686794

Reply By: Member Brian (Gold Coast) - Friday, May 14, 2010 at 17:05

Friday, May 14, 2010 at 17:05
Thanks for your updates Stephen, we're planning a trip out that way and I look forward to your posts for the info.
Many thanks.

Cheers

Brian
AnswerID: 416684

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Friday, May 14, 2010 at 19:12

Friday, May 14, 2010 at 19:12
Hi Brian
I, like you appreciate information obtained from this forum. It is a great planning tool and does help with the planning of any trip. This will be an unreal year this year, as the reports that I am personally hearing from people like Jason, Patsy and workers from Moomba paint an unreal picture of the area.

It is great to be able to offer this information for people like you, Fab72 Russnic (NZ) and others that are planning to head throughout that area.

All the best with your planning and have a great trip.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 686817

Follow Up By: Member - Russnic [NZ] - Saturday, May 15, 2010 at 10:57

Saturday, May 15, 2010 at 10:57
Thanks Stephen
Your information is greatly appreciated.
Russ
FollowupID: 686869

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Saturday, May 15, 2010 at 13:03

Saturday, May 15, 2010 at 13:03
Hi Russ
That is what this site all about, helping others out.

All the best with your trip, it should be great.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 686873

Follow Up By: Teraa - Saturday, May 15, 2010 at 13:49

Saturday, May 15, 2010 at 13:49
The biggest grey area with SA transport is when the punt will be running apparently not until it's 3m deep. So get the nod it's up and running before trying to come up from Marree near any time from the end of May. A fly over the other day saw the Cooper approx. 50km from track. I don't think most of the locals are going to be bothered with the punt other than for a look. I myself will just go to Mt Isa. I reckon Inamincka will get fixed because of the mines. The graders have been to the channel and are coming back towards Mungerannie but didn't get all the way to Birdsville. Must be chunky up there by now. More rain coming this weekend nothing yet though. All supply trucks have been rerouted but if it rains it will be a no show.
FollowupID: 686878

Follow Up By: Member - Russnic [NZ] - Sunday, May 16, 2010 at 10:20

Sunday, May 16, 2010 at 10:20
Thanks Stephen.
That is why I am a member, it is great to get a bit of local knowledge.
When I have had cause to need to assist travellers down our way I normally refuse offers of payment and say "Sometime somewhere someone else may need assistance, I will be repaid in full when you provide that assistance."
Getting back to the subject I see this morning William Creek - Coober Pedy road is closed by flooding. Would that be local rainfall, I also read that more rain is expected in the central deserts.
It is less in a month now before I intend to travel through the area.
I guess my plans will remain flexible
Cheers
Russ
FollowupID: 686965

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, May 16, 2010 at 13:04

Sunday, May 16, 2010 at 13:04
Hi Russ
A lot can happen in a month, so I would not be that worried at the moment. From the local forcasts, I would say it would have been local
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 686978

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, May 16, 2010 at 13:10

Sunday, May 16, 2010 at 13:10
Hi Russ
A lot can happen in a month, so I would not be that worried at the moment. From the local forecasts, I would say it would have been local rain. The good thing about those conditions is the road will dry out quickly. We were caught out at Mungerannie for 3 days once due to local rains. In the 3 days, the roads went from very muddy four wheel drive only to good hard surface and dusty, all within 3 days. We have also had a similar situation on the Strezelecki Track and were caught out for 26 hours. Keep you plans as they are, but have plan B ready in case of the worst case and keep watching the Northern Roads reports.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 686979

Follow Up By: Teraa - Tuesday, May 18, 2010 at 19:40

Tuesday, May 18, 2010 at 19:40
I wouldn't change my plans rainfall at MT Dare was just
5ml but that roads are really mushy so doesn't take much to close them and they could have had more. The deserts have been predicted to have a wet autmun & spring. Just check witht the locals & road conditions. There is more rain predected this weekend
FollowupID: 687282

Reply By: Member - Prickle (SA) - Wednesday, May 19, 2010 at 22:09

Wednesday, May 19, 2010 at 22:09
Thanks for your update Steve.

Watching with interest re our 23 July departure.

R
Russ

Life-often hell but never boring.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 417307

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Thursday, May 20, 2010 at 13:55

Thursday, May 20, 2010 at 13:55
Hi Russ
I will be posting another update tonight, as I have just been on the phone with Jason. The Cooper has picked up a little pace and is now around 12 kilometres from where the ferry is.

A full update then.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 687469

Follow Up By: Member - Prickle (SA) - Thursday, May 20, 2010 at 14:04

Thursday, May 20, 2010 at 14:04
Thanks Steve,

Heading off up the River this arvo until Tues. Willcheck it out when I return.

R
Russ

Life-often hell but never boring.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 687470

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Thursday, May 20, 2010 at 14:07

Thursday, May 20, 2010 at 14:07
The River is a great spot. Have a great time. Jason still has his money for around the 20th June

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 687471

Follow Up By: Tonyfish#58 - Thursday, May 20, 2010 at 18:14

Thursday, May 20, 2010 at 18:14
And us with our July 17th Departure :-)
FollowupID: 687517

Sponsored Links