The Flinders Ranges at the moment.

Just back from doing a photo shoot in the Flinders. They are stunning at the moment. Green like I have never seen them and every other colour as well. Not many people, a few flies, more than a few hoppers. If you can get there, go. I have hundreds of shots to process and will post some soon.
Note for Dave and Norah. The seats you helped me get were superb for both distance driving and 4wd rough stuff. An absolute bargain that I should have done years ago. Many thanks.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Saturday, May 15, 2010 at 10:00

Saturday, May 15, 2010 at 10:00
Totally agree with you. I was there a couple of weeks ago.

I'm not a specialized photographer but allow me to "steal your thunder" a little bit by posting a few of my snaps.

Looking forward to seeing yours.

Image Could Not Be Found

Image Could Not Be Found

Image Could Not Be Found

Image Could Not Be Found

Image Could Not Be Found

Image Could Not Be Found

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 416755

Follow Up By: Member - Mfewster(SA) - Saturday, May 15, 2010 at 10:19

Saturday, May 15, 2010 at 10:19
Good stuff Sandman. The more shots, the better. I have around 400 shots to do for a client first, so mine will be a little while. Spent quite a bit of time on Nilpena Station. While there a light plane went over and circled me, posing for shots for me to take of them skimming the dunes at sunset. It landed nearby and I met them for coffee. Did they have some photo gear!!!! Google for Peter Bellingham and check his aerial shots of Oz. Some of the very best I have ever seen. Having looked at his, I'm keeping a very, very low profile re. mine.
FollowupID: 686863

Follow Up By: Dave B ( BHQ NSW) - Saturday, May 15, 2010 at 10:22

Saturday, May 15, 2010 at 10:22
Great shots Sandman, the light and the colours are just wonderful.

Dave
'Wouldn't be dead for quids'

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 686864

Follow Up By: lizard - Saturday, May 15, 2010 at 10:46

Saturday, May 15, 2010 at 10:46
Which campsite is that at Willow Springs , we were in #1 a month ago - that one looks to be further up .... stunning place eh ?
Did you do Skytrek , or is it still closed ?
FollowupID: 686866

Follow Up By: Member - Mfewster(SA) - Saturday, May 15, 2010 at 13:34

Saturday, May 15, 2010 at 13:34
Re. Willow Springs. While we were there, met a couple who told us the station manager had just been hospitalized with a heart attack and that they were looking after the place on a voluntary basis. They said the Uniting Church organzes volunteers to give a hand to outback families when needed. Good on 'em. Might be a useful connection for those travelling and with some time to spare.
FollowupID: 686876

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Saturday, May 15, 2010 at 16:34

Saturday, May 15, 2010 at 16:34
Lizard,

We chose the Corella Camp site which was one of the first sites on Willow Springs Station.
Yes it is a stunning place, like all the Flinders Area.
I had booked a site big enough for three campers a couple of weeks prior as the weather conditions at the time were still unpredictable.

Unfortunately, Skytrek was closed on the Thursday prior to our arrival due to a conflict between Willow Springs Station and The owners of adjoining land that the trek transgresses. I wonder if this incident had anything to do with the Station Manager's health problems.

On the Sunday we drove the first part of Skytrek. Along the way we passed the Manager as he headed towards the back section of the property on a trail bike as reports came through that someone had left a gate open and the sheep were wandering all over the place. Not a good situation on top of the problem with Skytrek being forced to close due to the "conflict".

Personally, I have driven Skytrek before and was simply attempting to show some close friends the wonderful experience and views. Nevertheless, we enjoyed our weekend and drove back through the Brachina/Bunyeroo Gorges loop that was closed only just prior to our visit.

One little bit of "disappointment" I noticed was the road between Wilpena Pound and Blinman has now been bitumised. It has taken some of the "country" out of the country, but I guess progress is progress all the same.

Actually I only drove part of it, from Willow Springs towards Blinman until we reached the Brachina Gorge junction. Some of our party ventured to Blinman on the Sunday arvo, but two of us stayed at the campsite contemplating out navels and solving most of Australia's problems while sipping on a few reds.
(I have been to Blinman a few times before)

I love the Flinders and all it presents in all seasons and never get tired of travelling, or camping there.

One thing I did notice that was a bit "off" was the large sign between Hawker and the Pound which states the need for a permit to enter the Flinders Ranges National Park with a self registration station just after the signpost.
Now in our case, we were travelling along the main access road to a campsite on private property (Willow Springs) and therefore ignored the "invitation".

On our return journey, travelling along the Brachina/Bunyeroo Gorge access roads we may have been in "violation" of a National Parks law but did not encounter any "pay station" where I could have paid an access fee.
I have no problem in paying any relevant fees applicable, but they must be plain in what those fees represent. (ie. day access fee, or overnight camping fee, etc.)

Bill.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 686889

Follow Up By: Member - Mfewster(SA) - Saturday, May 15, 2010 at 23:21

Saturday, May 15, 2010 at 23:21
Just finished a couple of the photos. Actually this group are a little to the east of the Flinders, around Lake Torrens.Image Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be Found
FollowupID: 686935

Reply By: Dave B ( BHQ NSW) - Saturday, May 15, 2010 at 10:19

Saturday, May 15, 2010 at 10:19
Mike, we are more than a bit jealous of your trip to the Flinders.
Wish we had time to go over there too.
Glad you had a comfortable trip.
cheers
Dave
'Wouldn't be dead for quids'

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 416756

Reply By: Member - Prickle (SA) - Wednesday, May 19, 2010 at 21:59

Wednesday, May 19, 2010 at 21:59
Just got back from here ourselves.

Did another 70km of the Mawson Trail and oh what a ride. (Still working on the Blog.

Saw a few rock wallabies in Warren Gorge, what a treat.

Image Could Not Be Found

Great place.
Russ

Life-often hell but never boring.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 417304

Sponsored Links