Savannah Way - Advice needed

When we leave Darwin in three weeks time we plan to travel across the Savannah Way (from Mataranka, south of Darwin) to Cairns, and via Borroloola, Burketown etc.

We are now doing the planning required, and would appreciate any advice on the best stops to camp, any must see things, and especially, where we can expect fuel to be available. Fuel availability can be a changing phenomenon and current status of outlets would be invaluable to have!

Has anyone heard what the current status of the route is, given the Wet season has only recently ended?
Chris
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Fred B (NT) - Saturday, May 15, 2010 at 16:07

Saturday, May 15, 2010 at 16:07
Phone hells Gate Roadhouse, (07) 4745 8258, (spoke to them early this week)but you will probably find that the road west of Doomagee is still closed (too wet)... Council won't open it until it can support a grader and the road can be repaired. But please ring them for the latest. Also ring the council at Boroloola for their end of the road.
I'll be travelling from Cairns to Darwin through there in mid August.
regards
Fred B
VKS 737: Mobile/Selcall 1334

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 416782

Follow Up By: ChrisVal7 - Sunday, May 16, 2010 at 11:30

Sunday, May 16, 2010 at 11:30
Many thanks Fred. We don't plan to leave until mid-June so hopefully it will be open by then!

Chris
FollowupID: 686972

Reply By: joff1 - Sunday, May 16, 2010 at 13:27

Sunday, May 16, 2010 at 13:27
From Mataranka fuel is available at Roper Bar but then nothing till Borroloola, ~400km. From there, Hellsgate has only limited (may or may not have any) supplies then you have Doomcity, Bourktown and Normanton. If you take the tar from Normanton fuel available at regular intervals all the way to Cairns. If you take the Bourke Developmental Road then you won't see fuel till you get to Chillagoe ~600km.

As for things to see, it's all good up there. Roper is interesting, Western Lost City, Butterfly Springs, Southern Lost City, Lorella Springs (Lorella is great, don't drive past without spending a few days or a week in there).

Borroloola it interesting too, King Ash Bay is ok if you like old people that smell like fish. Kingfisher Camp and Adels Grove and Lawn Hill are all good and a few k's south of Doomadgee. Karrumba if you like more old people that smell like fish.

Haven't done the tar through Georgetown/Mount Surprise but they tell me it's great. The Lava Tubes are supposed to be special.

The BDR is long, dusty and sometime corrugated but it still has it's interesting spots.

Cheers
Joff
AnswerID: 416893

Follow Up By: Member - Michael John T (VIC) - Sunday, May 16, 2010 at 23:36

Sunday, May 16, 2010 at 23:36
There are also plenty of places you can bush camp along the way. King fisher Camp is a relaxing stopover and an enjoyable drive offroad to Adels Grove. Yes the Lava Tubes are worthwhile and if you are into rocks there is one of Australia"s best displays at the tourist info at Georgetown.

Mike T
FollowupID: 687059

Follow Up By: ChrisVal7 - Monday, May 17, 2010 at 12:41

Monday, May 17, 2010 at 12:41
Good suggestions there Michael, and Joff. I like the comments about "old people who smell like fish". I certainly feel old these days but I don't fish...
Chris
FollowupID: 687102

Sponsored Links