fire extinwishers

Submitted: Wednesday, Oct 15, 2003 at 23:37
ThreadID: 7851 Views:1347 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Just back from my trip after our fire.
Just to let people know that 1kg fire extin.... only lastes less than 1 minet, so you probly need 2 plus a fire blanket.
this can happen when you least expect them, we were clebrating my sons birthday 15 mins after waking up and had the h2o on 4 a cuppa when the gas went up the wind was still as well,Have 4WD will Explore
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Brian - Thursday, Oct 16, 2003 at 07:38

Thursday, Oct 16, 2003 at 07:38
Rox.... thats good advice about the fire extinguisher/blanket ... what happened when your "gas went up"?? Did you manage to put the fire out?? was there much damage?? and not least, I hope no-one was hurt?
Brian
AnswerID: 33983

Reply By: Hughesy - Thursday, Oct 16, 2003 at 08:14

Thursday, Oct 16, 2003 at 08:14
Also remember that a Dry Chem Extinquisher needs regular shaking or banging on the car tyre to loosen the powder inside. After long trips in a vehicle over rough roads the powder packs down and needs lossening or when you go to use it you'll get a puff of powder and then just the propellant - not much good when your in an emergency. Keep banging or shaking it until you can feel the powder moving around freely. But your dead right Rox about how long they last, need to use it efficiently.

Cheers,
Hughesy
AnswerID: 33989

Reply By: duncs - Thursday, Oct 16, 2003 at 18:10

Thursday, Oct 16, 2003 at 18:10
Rox and Hughesy are on the money.

The 1kg dry chem can be effective but you need to know what you are doing and not panick or the poor little thing will be a waste of time. They can get you out of trouble if used well.

A useful alternative is a garden sprayer full of water. 5l of well directed water will make a big difference to a fire. And the most reliable back up to all of these is a shovel full of dirt.

The latter has the advantage that it doesn't run out. If you get it wrong a second, or third or fourth etc. shovel full should not be hard to find in most bush campsites.

Just remember that the most useful tool in any emergency is a clear, calm head.

Duncs
AnswerID: 34063

Sponsored Links