Carnarvon Ranges,Puntawarri Track,Rudall River

Submitted: Sunday, May 16, 2010 at 16:01
ThreadID: 78518 Views:3850 Replies:3 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,
We are planning a trip out from Perth probably early August due to work commitments and intend to have a look through the Carnarvon Ranges, up the CSR to the Puntawarri Junction then out to Jigalong, Rudall River, Hanging Rock,and then out to Carrawine and then home.
We generally travel on our own with a well equipped Prado and Tvan and we were out in R/River last year. Just thought that there might be someone out there who would like to do the same/similar.
Any information re: the Carnarvon Ranges, Puntawarri etc would be most appreciated.
Cheers
MikeH
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Matt(WA) - Sunday, May 16, 2010 at 16:32

Sunday, May 16, 2010 at 16:32
G'day Mike,

Carnarvon Ranges are great. We spent a week there last August. I rekon the best camping was at Virgin Springs and also at Serpents Glen. We found good water at both. Also Talbots Waterhole is a great spot.

Carnarvon Range tracks were ok. We only saw two other groups out there in a week. That was good!

Matt

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 416912

Follow Up By: Jimbo (WA) - Sunday, May 16, 2010 at 18:14

Sunday, May 16, 2010 at 18:14
I'll second all Matts comments - the Carnarvon Range is a great spot. If you're going in or out through Ned's Creek, don't forget to give them a call; they're great people!

FollowupID: 687015

Follow Up By: Matt(WA) - Monday, May 17, 2010 at 09:15

Monday, May 17, 2010 at 09:15
Forgot to add. If your comming in from Kumarina Roadhouse there is some tight tracks that might be fun with your tvan. We werent towing and a few places we went to I wouldnt have liked to be towing.

Also there is a lot of fire wood about and a trip up to the top of M5 is well worth the view. The cairn on top is huge. Well worthwhile is a climb up to the top of Virgin Springs is great. We found some awesome little swimming holes looking out over the whole area.

Matt

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 687078

Reply By: Member - John Baas (WA) - Sunday, May 16, 2010 at 18:50

Sunday, May 16, 2010 at 18:50
Hi Mike, on another occasion I might have jumped at that but we'll only just be back from our lower CSR and Carn Rngs trip ourselves.

Mick O has a blog on thePuntawarri Track blog.

Puntawarri - Durba Hills to Savory Creek

Cheers.
AnswerID: 416927

Reply By: Mick O - Monday, May 17, 2010 at 18:35

Monday, May 17, 2010 at 18:35
Mike,

John has posted the links to my blogs from a couple of years back. You should have no worries on the Puntawarri. There are a couple of treacherous sections in the leg from the Canning to the Puntawarri settlement but the road improves once you get past it. About 30 km prior to Jigalaong, you drop down into the low ramparts of the Robertson Ranges. If it's close to camp time, I'd think about setting up here as you soon run out of opportunities the closer you get to Jig. Fuel and supermarket are OK at Jig. Just make sure you get your permit from DIA.

The road up to Carrawine from Balfour downs to Mt Hodgson is in good nick but a bit tricky as it is largely unmarked. Once passed Hodgson, it's a good run up to Pearana Pool (A great camp spot), Mike Mine and then Carrawine. The long route out round Roy Hills and Bonny Downs to Nullagine and then the Skull Springs Road is an easier option if so inclined.

This Blog LINK covers at least the northern section of the track up from Christies Crossing to Carrawine.

Have a great trip. Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 417032

Follow Up By: Member - mike H (WA) - Monday, May 17, 2010 at 19:26

Monday, May 17, 2010 at 19:26
Thanks for all that information, guys.

Hiya Mick, will you be out that way this year in, I believe, your new machine. I am sorry that we missed you last year.

John, we could bring our plans forward to leave York on Sunday 19th July and maybe catch up along the way somewhere. I have a sat phone and HF so contact should not be a problem.

Can anyone give me some info. re that section of the CSR re towing the Tvan. I don't want to have to be digging previous travellers holes any deeper by going that way with the Tvan.

I just hope that the area has and will get some decent rains because it was tragically dry last year. We first went out into these areas 25 years ago and the difference is amazing

Cheers

MikeH
FollowupID: 687142

Follow Up By: Member - Tony S (WA) - Monday, May 17, 2010 at 22:28

Monday, May 17, 2010 at 22:28
Mike I know they take trailers on the CSR, however it is a no - no. The track is bad enough now!
There have been numerous comments on the trailer problem and the CSR.

Tony
The rig

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 687181

Follow Up By: Poves - Thursday, May 20, 2010 at 15:45

Thursday, May 20, 2010 at 15:45
Mike,

The TVan is probably one of the more capable off road trailers and I have confidence that section of the track should be OK.

Damage to the track is the real issue but if we are honest damage is not just done by Off Road trailers. There are plenty of laden 4WD travelers who don't bother to adjust tyre pressure who churn up the track just as much.

If you take your TVan, make sure you adjust Tyre pressure to the conditions. Keep them low in sandy sections and take it easy. Make sure you adjust the footprint of the TVan to match your vehicle, not simply match the pressure.

Last I talked with CSR management they have not banned trailers but discourage them, particularly to the north where sand dunes become bigger and more prolific. They indicate the real issue is poor tyre pressure management. If you take your TVan it is your responsibility to limit track damage so be prepared to adjust pressures regularly. A set of Stauns may help.

We are preparing for a trip something similar in June.

Have a great time

Kim
Pack Lite & Have Fun

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 687483

Follow Up By: Member - John Baas (WA) - Thursday, May 20, 2010 at 16:39

Thursday, May 20, 2010 at 16:39
Mike, I mm'd you - did you get it?

Cheers.
FollowupID: 687489

Follow Up By: Member - mike H (WA) - Friday, May 21, 2010 at 20:32

Friday, May 21, 2010 at 20:32
G'day guys,
Have been away flying aeroplanes all week.

Thanks for the info. re the CSR. I have been 4wding for a little while, I did much of the desert testing for the original Range Rover (Velar wagon as it was known then) in the Sahara when I worked for Land Rover. My pet hate is people who will not/do not run tyre pressures consistent with the conditions. We met a guy out a Xmas pool with 39psi in his Nissan. I had 24/26/24 on my MTRs on the Prado/Tvan and was softening them off a little bit more with the corrugations around that area. I have 3 sets of Stauns set at different pressures to make the process much easier.

Hi John B. Just got your message. I'll email you.

All the best people
Cheers
Mike H
FollowupID: 687661

Follow Up By: KPOE (WA) - Saturday, May 22, 2010 at 00:09

Saturday, May 22, 2010 at 00:09
Apologies Mike,

I should be taking tips from you. I hate preaching to the converted. Maybe it was as much to let people know sensible camper trailer users exist. I also own a TVan.

Have Fun
Kim
Pack Lite & Have Fun

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 687688

Follow Up By: Member - mike H (WA) - Saturday, May 22, 2010 at 00:51

Saturday, May 22, 2010 at 00:51
G'day Kim,

No worries.

I am quite biased of course but the Tvan is the best off road camper out there but of course as you own one as well you know that!

When we were coming back from the High Country we met up with a group of Ultimaters on the Nullabor and one of them said to me "oh the Tvan moves around a bit on the road when you passed us" I said I don't think so it was just rocking on the suspension in the cross wind. They looked underneath, saw the wheel travel and then the fact that we had used all of it as there were marks on the bumps stops. We had been to a couple of quite challenging places in the High Country where we most certainly did use all of the wheel travel.

Maybe we should find an excuse to go Tvanning sometime.

Cheers

MikeH
FollowupID: 687691

Follow Up By: KPOE (WA) - Saturday, May 22, 2010 at 18:48

Saturday, May 22, 2010 at 18:48
Any excuse to take the TVan out is a good one.

We are planning to do the carnarvon ranges in at well 5 then up to tallawana track trough Rudall river to Telfa then up to Gibb river.

We did Rudall to Carawine 2 years ago & liked it so much we thought we would have another look & take some friends.

Does anyone know what the condition of the track into Rudall north of cotton creek is like. You need permission but I thought I would see if it was worth the visit before disturbing the locals for access.

I am also biased, we love out TVan. I love the handling and the fact it will follow where I want to go. The better half just loves it for the ease of.. well ease of everything.

Kim
Pack Lite & Have Fun

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 687779

Sponsored Links