OZ Tent Feedback needed

Submitted: Sunday, May 16, 2010 at 19:52
ThreadID: 78524 Views:6633 Replies:14 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived

Related Pages

I have my heart set on an oztent mainly because it is easy to erect. I am off to the Grampians but I am worried about all the negative feedback regarding condensation dripping. Surely if you can send a man to the moon your can put a waterproof spray on to avoid this. Does anyone have any other suggestions because I am a new comer to the Great outdoors.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Teege (NSW) - Sunday, May 16, 2010 at 20:17

Sunday, May 16, 2010 at 20:17
GGA
Waterproof spray would only make it worse. Condensation is caused by the difference in the air temperature inside (body heat, breathing etc), and the temperature outside. It is a common problem in canvas tents. It is actually water condensing from the air inside the tent - it does not not sneak in from outside.The best way to avoid it is to have some form of flow through ventilation to get rid of the warmer air inside. This of course makes the interior colder, so it is a catch 22 situation. Should you spray with your waterproof spray you would reduce the already minimal amount of breathing that takes place through the canvas. The best thing to do is to put up with it and have a towel handy in the morning to wipe it off.

teege
AnswerID: 416944

Reply By: Member - Jack - Sunday, May 16, 2010 at 20:19

Sunday, May 16, 2010 at 20:19
Not sure where you have found all the negative feedback about condensation.

I own an Oztent which has travelled with us around Australia and in all sorts of weather. To avoid condensation (which is not exclusive to Oztent) you use the fly, and open windows to get some ventilation through.

I think condensation is probably your own breath trapped inside the tent. You could avoid it by stopping breathing, but it does tend to ruin your holiday. Waterproof spray won't do much.

Jack
The hurrieder I go, the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll-Alice In Wonderland)

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 416945

Follow Up By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Monday, May 17, 2010 at 18:02

Monday, May 17, 2010 at 18:02
Jack!! You're a funny guy!!!
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 687125

Reply By: chris_s - Sunday, May 16, 2010 at 21:00

Sunday, May 16, 2010 at 21:00
You will get condensation under a fly (no walls) strung up between trees (water vapor escaping from plants will contribute to this). The best method to avoid condensation is as others have said, have another piece of material above the tent (ie. fly). Overnight you will expel over a litre of liquid from your body (2L or more with 2 people). This vapor hits a cold surface (tent roof) and changes to a liquid. The larger the volume of your tent and the more vents you have open the less effect it will have on your well being during the night and early morning. The fly covering the tent helps to keep a warm(er) layer above and around you and the vents allow some of the water vapor to escape, but does make the interior somewhat cooler (a warm sleeping bag helps to negate this). Canvas, being a slightly breathable material also allows some of this excess liquid to escape. Breathable nylon tents with waterproof flies generally have a dry-ish inner tent, but the fly will be saturated. I have found the Oztent's fly is rarely saturated underneath (due to minimal vapor penetrating the tent, but the top surface will be be saturated (as will your car and anything else left out in the open)
Hope this makes sense.
AnswerID: 416950

Reply By: Member - Mark E (VIC) - Sunday, May 16, 2010 at 21:30

Sunday, May 16, 2010 at 21:30
I have had the situation where it was cold enough for the condensation to freeze on the inside of the tent....thus making a lovely little snow shower INSIDE the tent upon waking...... Lucky for sleeping bags with goretex shells!!

Happy camping.....

Cheers,
Mark
AnswerID: 416955

Reply By: Kim and Damn Dog - Sunday, May 16, 2010 at 21:33

Sunday, May 16, 2010 at 21:33
Gidday

You won’t get any condensation in the tent, at the very least a couple of drops. Don't worry aout it.

Regards

Kim
AnswerID: 416956

Reply By: Member - Ian W (NSW) - Sunday, May 16, 2010 at 21:46

Sunday, May 16, 2010 at 21:46
In the appropriate atmospheric conditions you will get condensate in ANY tent

I would suggest the easiest/cheapest way to dramatically reduce if not entirely eliminate condensation is to use an "el cheapo" silver tarp/flysheet over your Oztent.

That way you are layering another temperature band between the inside of your tent roof and the external atmosphere.

Worked for us with our trailer tent. Don't believe any suggestions that dripping condensate is restricted to Oztents. Over some forty odd years I have had any number of tents and a camper trailer, they all had condensation problems at particular times of the year. We have now progressed to a caravan and guess what? Yep! In cold weather we get condensation on the ceiling and pop top skirts.

Ian
AnswerID: 416957

Reply By: SKELLY_POD - Monday, May 17, 2010 at 00:05

Monday, May 17, 2010 at 00:05
Hi Gotta Get Away

I have two RV4 and yes we do get some condensation at certain times of the year and have with all my tents. We use the flys and leave the two high vents near the door open during our time away to help this.

Cheers Rob
AnswerID: 416964

Reply By: muzzgit - Monday, May 17, 2010 at 00:34

Monday, May 17, 2010 at 00:34
OK, so everyone has put your mind to rest about condensation, but the overiding thing for me about the oztent, and why WE didn't buy one, when it's packed up it's too long to fit in the back of our 4WD!

AnswerID: 416965

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Monday, May 17, 2010 at 07:21

Monday, May 17, 2010 at 07:21
So why fit it in the back?
That's what roof racks are for.

The overriding thing for us about the Oztent, and why we DID buy one (apart from the ease of erection) was for the size of the front awning, the ability to enclose it with side panels and the heap of other accessories available for it.

Love our Oztent.

Bill.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 687068

Follow Up By: MrBitchi (QLD) - Monday, May 17, 2010 at 07:40

Monday, May 17, 2010 at 07:40
x2 :-)
FollowupID: 687070

Follow Up By: Member - Jack - Monday, May 17, 2010 at 07:46

Monday, May 17, 2010 at 07:46
X3 : )

FollowupID: 687071

Follow Up By: trainslux - Monday, May 17, 2010 at 10:48

Monday, May 17, 2010 at 10:48
For me the length was a benefit, as we didnt have room in the back of the vehicle to put a tent, regardless of length, width etc, we just didnt have room as it was already packed with food, fridge water etc.
So having a longer tent made it easier to lift onto the roof racks as you can lean one side against one rack, and lift up the back of the tent onto the roof, far easier than lifting a dead weight square but shorter tent simmilar, or heavier than the oztent.

So it fitted easily on the roof racks, as it was long enough, its length aided in putting it up there, and it so quick and easy to erect, and pack up.
For us it was a benefit, not a problem.

Trains
FollowupID: 687088

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Monday, May 17, 2010 at 08:18

Monday, May 17, 2010 at 08:18
Gotta Get Away
We have the RV4 and is the best tent that we have ever had, including a Southern Cross that now lives permanently in the shed. If condensation is a concern, buy the fly. We always sleep with the back window fully open, as well an the front side windows and have not had any problems.

They are true to claim with their ease of erection and stores out of the way on the roof bars.

If you buy one, you will not regret your purchase.

Cheers

Stephen

Image Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be Found
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 416975

Follow Up By: Gotta Get Away - Wednesday, May 19, 2010 at 18:45

Wednesday, May 19, 2010 at 18:45
Great set-up. Thanks for the advice.
FollowupID: 687391

Reply By: Andrew & Jen - Monday, May 17, 2010 at 13:51

Monday, May 17, 2010 at 13:51
We have a RV2
We use a fly - no, or very little, condensation with windows open at the top
We have a Rhino rr, with flat panels/tie downs to the right and a 2.2m basket on the LHS.
Basket great for other things as well, including collecting firewood when off for day trips away from camp
Regards
A
AnswerID: 417005

Reply By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Monday, May 17, 2010 at 14:50

Monday, May 17, 2010 at 14:50
We have an RV4 - do not own a fly, but cross-ventilate the tent by keeping corners of side windows open if cold and always using the back windows tied away from the edge of the tent but still closed. We have never experienced condensation in this tent - we usually sleep all 4 of us, sometimes just 2 but neither camping in cold damp areas such as in tasmania, high-country, nor when camping on the coast, on the sandy beach through all conditions - leaving the tent up for 4 weeks. We vary the bedding, sometimes just swags inside, sometimes with airbeds so not sure what causes condensation for some and not others. It must have something to do with heavy breathing !!! LOL
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 417011

Reply By: Gotta Get Away - Monday, May 17, 2010 at 19:11

Monday, May 17, 2010 at 19:11
Thanks to everyone who replied, you guys have a good thing going on with this site. I think we will start with the windows down a little, a fly or something similar and some new thick sleeping bags. Cheers for the advice. Happy travelling.
AnswerID: 417037

Reply By: wombat1 - Monday, May 17, 2010 at 21:37

Monday, May 17, 2010 at 21:37
If you want to try before you buy the guys at Go Bush Camping in Lara have a Oztent hire service
AnswerID: 417068

Reply By: Member - Jack - Tuesday, May 18, 2010 at 07:41

Tuesday, May 18, 2010 at 07:41
Thinking further on this thread caused me to wonder ...

Putting a towel over the roof struts and under the canvas could possibly absorb much of the moisture that could collect on the roof.

I have not tried this (never had the need) but it strikes me that it could offer another solution if you were not keen on opening vents and windows.

Jack

AnswerID: 417103

Follow Up By: Gotta Get Away - Wednesday, May 19, 2010 at 18:41

Wednesday, May 19, 2010 at 18:41
That sounds good to me, quick and easy. With all the suggestions people have offered I think we will just go ahead and purchase the oztent. Everyone seems to love them. Thanks for your help.
FollowupID: 687390

Sponsored Links