Petrol or Diesel Dual Cab

Submitted: Monday, May 17, 2010 at 18:42
ThreadID: 78542 Views:2540 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi guys,

I'm looking at upgrading to a new Dual Cab, not sure of the brand yet but interested in what what brand is best for carrying a rooftop camper and weather I should pay the extra for a diesel.

I have a petrol 80 series on LPG at the moment and find it good to drive and acceptably economical to run on LPG. (I dont think I could afford it on Petrol.)

Apart from fuel economy what are the advantages of Diesel.
Regards
Geoff
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Wilko - Monday, May 17, 2010 at 19:40

Monday, May 17, 2010 at 19:40
Hi Geoff,

My reasons for having diesels are they are good @ creek crossings. I prefer the torque that is high at a lot lower revs & IMHO diesels tend to turn the wheels petrols tend to spin the wheels.

Cheers Wilko
AnswerID: 417043

Reply By: OREJAP - Monday, May 17, 2010 at 20:26

Monday, May 17, 2010 at 20:26
We all have our opinions & mine is gas belongs in BBQ's. Having said that there are some vehicles like the 80 series that handles LPG rather well. I bought a diesel 12 years ago and still enjoy driving them. My brother in law has a 80 series on dual fuel & noticed a difference price wise when touring OZ. In W.Aust petrol was $2.15 P/L & LPG $1.89!!! It was more economical & beneficial to drive on unleaded towing his van. He averaged 3 K/pL on LPG & 5.5 on Petrol. I would look seriously at a Triton diesel auto. Great vehicle to drive & with 5 yrs roadside assist & warranty which is backed up by Mitsubishi 10 year warranty on the drive chain (Motor, g/box & diffs) it must be up there with the other dual cabs,actually I think it won an award last year for something....best 4WD of the year maybe!!
AnswerID: 417049

Reply By: Gossy - Wednesday, May 19, 2010 at 09:24

Wednesday, May 19, 2010 at 09:24
cheap to run. I got 13litres per 100km crossing the Simpson. 2 petrols with me averaged 26litres per 100km !!!!! Basically much better for hard off road driving.

Yep, can get them compeltely wet and it won't care.

Life of the engine is much longer (if well looked after).

But all the above doesn't matter if it doesn't suit your type of driving. Petrols are much easier and smoother to drive around town so i guess you have to be honest on what the vast majority of the car will be used for. If it will be used for bush trips will it be hard off-roading into remote areas (you can't buy petrol in alot of remote areas because of petrol sniffing). If cruising around Aust then a petrol/gas might be ok also (if you can run on gas 90% to keep the fuel cost down).

I have an old diesel (GQ patrol) which is like a tank to drive around town. I made the conscious decision to buy an old Barina for a couple of grand to buzz around town and into work. This saves my 4wd to be only used for bush trips :)
AnswerID: 417221

Sponsored Links