Gunbarrel

Has anyone had recent experience of the 'abandoned' sections of the original Gunbarrel Hwy? Leaving for Uluru from Perth on June 10 and wanting to visit Beadell's original locations. Cheers, Geoff.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Tuesday, May 18, 2010 at 14:49

Tuesday, May 18, 2010 at 14:49
Hi Geoff
It is a great drive and easy. The corrugations will be best that you have ever seen out near Mount Beadell. Permits are not hard to get, BUT you must travel with a minimum of 2 vehicles and have HF or Sat Phone for emergencies, which is stated when you apply for the permit. We have travelled it twice, so we knew what was installed for the second visit.

It is great country and would I travel it again??? YES.

We will be doing a section of it again this year, why, just love it out there and for a very special visit for family history reasons.

Below are a few pictures of what it is like out there, also make sure you do the Giles Weather Station and see the weather balloon launch.

Cheers

Stephen

Image Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be Found
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 417147

Follow Up By: Members Pa & Ma.(Sally) - Tuesday, May 18, 2010 at 15:13

Tuesday, May 18, 2010 at 15:13
Hi Stephen,
Thanks for the photos. I always thought that the abandoned section of the Gunbarrel Hwy went through some magnificent Ranges?
Take care, Safe travels.
Regards, Ma.
FollowupID: 687254

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Tuesday, May 18, 2010 at 19:35

Tuesday, May 18, 2010 at 19:35
Hi Ma
There are many sections that offer great views of Range country. Here are a few pictures of the Range country encountered. The only time that we saw another vehicle, was east on Mungilli Claypan - a grader.

If you get the chance, it is a great drive with such a lot and varied scenery.

Cheers

Stephen

Image Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be Found
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 687280

Follow Up By: Members Pa & Ma.(Sally) - Wednesday, May 19, 2010 at 07:05

Wednesday, May 19, 2010 at 07:05
Hi Stephen.
Thanks again for the other photos. We've been on the corrugations at Mount Beadell. Have a go on the corrugations one The Anne Beadell around Emu. They'd sake yor own teeth out of your head!. Many injuries to vehicles!
It's better on the W.A. side and extremely scenic there too.
Take care, Safe travels.
Regards Ma.
FollowupID: 687309

Reply By: Members Pa & Ma.(Sally) - Tuesday, May 18, 2010 at 15:07

Tuesday, May 18, 2010 at 15:07
Hi Geoff & Kellene.
We wanted to do it last yr. You have to be a member of a party, more than 2 vehicles to be able to get a permit to do it. Sonia at the place I applied for the Permit Ngaanyatjarra land council said she'd be happy to let me know if a group was going through, if we wanted to join them when we were in the area.
We were asked to show our Permit for the Connie Sue & t he Sandy Blight Junction track last year by an over zealous Ab.P.O.
We struck problems with the steering box & couldn't do the S.B.J. We're going back this yr. to try again.
When I looked up the abandoned section in The Gunbarrel HWY. E.O. notes last year. It said that it was very r rutted and quite sandy from Jackie junction to Giles.

Have a safe trip.
Take care.
Regards, Ma.
AnswerID: 417149

Follow Up By: Member- Tony C - Tuesday, May 18, 2010 at 21:11

Tuesday, May 18, 2010 at 21:11
Hello Pa and Ma,
I would like to travel this section of the Gunbarrel Hwy this year also but as I am travelling solo at this stage have the same problem. I will be travelling south on the Connie Sue Hwy from Warburton. This part of my trip I wil be doing in early September if thats of any help.
Cheers.
Tony
FollowupID: 687295

Reply By: Member - John - Tuesday, May 18, 2010 at 17:17

Tuesday, May 18, 2010 at 17:17
G'day, the start of the "Abandoned Section" is rather daunting, but is a great drive. Did it in Sept 2008.

Image Could Not Be Found

John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 417160

Follow Up By: Member - Lionel A (WA) - Wednesday, May 19, 2010 at 04:29

Wednesday, May 19, 2010 at 04:29
Giday John,

not being a pedantic type and always do the right thing [especially if someones watching...lol ] but does the 'Road Closed' sign mean no access ?

Are there any penalties if caught using the road ?

Cheers......Lionel.
FollowupID: 687306

Follow Up By: Members Pa & Ma.(Sally) - Wednesday, May 19, 2010 at 06:57

Wednesday, May 19, 2010 at 06:57
Hi Tony C,
We travel Solo too, this is because we like to take our time & see everything, or stop for a day if we want and enjoy the silence of the Desert.
Sonia was a beaut person, she suggested that we could work something out as mentioned before.
We'll be there around August, all going well. Alice is booked out the end of Aug. for the Truck Hall of Fame. We'll camp may at Ross River again if we need too.
Even when you get a Permit to go on the Connie Sue it won't let you into Waterfall Gorge.(on Private land)!
There's a beaut camping spot nearby and a short walk will take you to something very similar.
After all this rain the section between Jackie J. and Giles could be very washed out.
We" were told last year by some one who'd just done that section of the old Gunbarrel, that it was lots of washouts then. Not easy but great scenery.
You can travel together but radio contact apart & don't have to camp together.
Hope all goes well for you. The desert should look the best ever now.
Safe travels, Take care.
Regards Ma.
FollowupID: 687307

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Wednesday, May 19, 2010 at 08:03

Wednesday, May 19, 2010 at 08:03
Hi Lionel
There are a couple of signs at the very start of the Old Gunbarrel, but providing that you have your permit, it is no problem at all.

Cheers

Stephen

Image Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be Found
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 687313

Sponsored Links