Submitted: Wednesday, May 19, 2010 at 16:18
ThreadID: 78592 Views:2513 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
hi just about to renew my insurance pol can any 1 tell me were a good cover is for modified 4x4s pls nowt hat i have done some mods they dont want to re do my insurance

cheers mick
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: blue one - Wednesday, May 19, 2010 at 17:52

Wednesday, May 19, 2010 at 17:52
There are a few threads on the forum which deal extensively with this issue. I'm with Australian 4wd Insurance and although they are difficult to deal with (make sure you get receipts for payments) as you have to manage them I have made 2 claims through them without a prob.

Who ever you do select make sure you are covered on tracks which are not listed as public roads. ie Closed roads such as the old Gunbarrel Hwy or the old mining road from Pt Macquarie to Crescent Head. None of the major insurance companies insure you driving on off road tracks.


AnswerID: 417284

Follow Up By: Member - michael (BOXHD) r (VI - Wednesday, May 19, 2010 at 20:35

Wednesday, May 19, 2010 at 20:35
thanks steve will have a look
FollowupID: 687403

Follow Up By: get outmore - Thursday, May 20, 2010 at 06:27

Thursday, May 20, 2010 at 06:27
sure they do

none will cover you on closed roads though unless you have official permission to be there

Ive just got RAC insurance and that covers me anywhere within Australia i am legally allowed to be

just checked out the AAMI insurance and they dont even have a clause for only being insured if the vehicle is legally entitled to be in the area it was damaged

- to find out what exclusions there are for your insurance coveradge you just read the PDS and that will tell you

for instance with AAMI your vehicle is not covered if you misuse nuclear weapons
- no mention of driving it down some beach
FollowupID: 687434

Reply By: kym111 - Wednesday, May 19, 2010 at 22:06

Wednesday, May 19, 2010 at 22:06
We're with CGU. Have had house & contents with them for years, and recently cars as well. They've never knocked back a claim, especially on our 4wd that required a new motor recently due to an accident on a Murchison dirt road.
AnswerID: 417306

Reply By: Member - lyndon NT - Thursday, May 20, 2010 at 07:56

Thursday, May 20, 2010 at 07:56
I have always used DGA brokers, CGU being the underwriter. Last year DGA moved to using Allianz as the underwriter, this was a little disappointing as we were very happy with several policy’s we have. I lost my agreed value and the excess went from $250 to $300. That being said the policy covers mods and extra’s and the vehicle is covered anywhere in Australia, I.E washed of a beach etc. We also had our valuables insured through them with an “open air” policy, this was an excellent policy where our gear (laptop, generator, fridges etc etc) were covered for theft and accidental damage. So we could leave our laptop on our camping table or drop it and it would be covered!!!! DGA did their best to get Allianz to cover this policy but we didn’t like the wording in the policy so did not renew(didn’t really need to as were not on the road at the moment).
Phone Kathy Johnson of DGA, she is very helpful.

Good luck

Now is the only time you own
Decide now what you will,
Place faith not in tomorrow
For the clock may then be still

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 417331

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (14)