Burley or no burley with lure fishing?

Submitted: Wednesday, May 19, 2010 at 21:22
ThreadID: 78597 Views:6932 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived

Related Pages

Anyone got any opinions or had any experiences for or against using burley in conjunction with lures. If you are for, what is your favourite burley recipe? I recently mixed a small packet of Weetbix with a 400g can of seafood platter cat food which produced a doughy, non tacky easy to ball up texture. I was on the Pilbara coast last week and an associate refused to let me near his fishing spot with the burley while he was working a lure, fearing the burley might attract large predators. The previous day another associate caught a 40cm flat head in the burley trail which had also attracted large garfish. Happy Days.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Maîneÿ . . .- Thursday, May 20, 2010 at 07:50

Thursday, May 20, 2010 at 07:50
Farmboywa,
if the burley attracts the fish (as I think it must) it can only be a bonus

I know it works out in a boat with live baits, so I don't see a problem when using lures, after all if there are no fish where the lure is, you will only be getting upper body exercise while casting into the fishless waters.

Maîneÿ . . .
AnswerID: 417330

Reply By: Snowy 3.0iTD - Thursday, May 20, 2010 at 07:57

Thursday, May 20, 2010 at 07:57
I suppose it depends on how sea-sick or hungover you are feeling.
AnswerID: 417332

Reply By: Member - Josh (TAS) - Thursday, May 20, 2010 at 08:02

Thursday, May 20, 2010 at 08:02
Who cares if it brings in bigger fish, isn't that the idea lol. Burley is so under used when fishing by lots of people. We have turned many an average day fishing into a good day applying a good burley trail. What burley depends a bit on what you are chasing. To bring bigger fish in from out further we use chook pellets, bran (which floats out a long way) and tuna oil (leaves a slick for the fish to follow. The tuna oil brings them in, the bran gives them a taste as they swim in but doesn't fill the up and the pellets break up near where you are fishing and keeps the fish at your feet. Around the jetty you can freeze this mix into balls and it slowly defrosts in the water and breaks up. The seafood cat food is good to use in the mix to.

Josh
AnswerID: 417333

Reply By: Muntoo - Thursday, May 20, 2010 at 10:57

Thursday, May 20, 2010 at 10:57
All depends what your targeting. No use using burley for barra or salmon etc. The problem is when you start adding things to the water it brings in catfish and sharks around here, so you just dont bother. Plus up here garfish and flathead aren't considered prize fish. But, burley does have its advantages if used correctly and for the right species. Im sure it would help if chasing certain fish, lure or no lure.
AnswerID: 417358

Sponsored Links