Water filter with silver activated Carbon

I have two water tanks, one in my camper and one on the car. About a year ago while filling up with water in a remote country town I contaminated both water tanks with some black mold slime.

It took about a pound of bicarb soda washed through about 4 times to get rid of what ever it was and bring back clean water again.

Recently a good friend put me onto getting an inline water filter that you use while filling up the tank. I purchased a water filter with silver activated carbon that has garden hose fittings either end.

My question is does anyone else use a water filter with their camper?

How often - every fill or just when filling from unknown.

Mine came with instructions that you should store it in the fridge but not necessary.

When camping our fridge is full so where do others store their filter. I was thinking if I store in the upright position any residual water will drain out and not sit there to fester.

David

Image Could Not Be Found

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Fragle_Rock (VIC) - Thursday, May 20, 2010 at 11:12

Thursday, May 20, 2010 at 11:12
Hi David,

We use a similar water filter on our camper (can't recall brand off hand) but ours is permanently plumbed between the tank and the tap.

We don't use a filter when filling up the tank, the water is filtered as it is pumped from the tank - through the filter - out the tap. The filter itself requires changing once a year and to date we have been very happy with it.

Cheers
AnswerID: 417359

Follow Up By: snoopy2 - Thursday, May 20, 2010 at 12:05

Thursday, May 20, 2010 at 12:05
Hi David,

I carry a length of food grade hose and have an in-line water filter, can't remember the brand but similar in looks to the one in your photo, and use this hose every time I fill the water tank. Storage is not a big issue as you carry the hose anyway. I have not bothered storing the filter in the fridge. By the way, I have put a tap on noth ends of the hose so I can "seal" the hose to prevent any stray water leaks.

Regards,

Michael
FollowupID: 687462

Reply By: Member - Heather G (NSW) - Thursday, May 20, 2010 at 14:07

Thursday, May 20, 2010 at 14:07
Hi david,
we bought a filter about 18 months ago which looks much like the one you have - it was advertised in caravan World and I bough it online (approx $99 from memory).

We use it on the hose, connected to the tap when staying in parks and also every time we fill the tanks or 20 litre water containers anywhere.

We did this all around WA and SA last year and are currently in Qld doing the same.

I will buy another one later this year to replace it - I figure it is a small cost to pay to ensure our water is drinkable and clean. I drink litres of water every day either in coffee or straight! The hubby prefers his liquid in the form of beer!

I am also carrying a small bottle of "Waterpure' with test strips to check to see whether our water is safe to drink, if we ever think we have contaminated it. So far it hasnt been necessary.

regards,
Heather

Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. John Muir

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 417382

Reply By: ozjohn0 - Thursday, May 20, 2010 at 15:11

Thursday, May 20, 2010 at 15:11
One of the better known brands and certainly a big seller is the 'B.E.S.T.
www.bestwaterfilters.com.au
I have no association with this company.
ozjohn.
AnswerID: 417386

Follow Up By: Ted G - Thursday, May 20, 2010 at 17:15

Thursday, May 20, 2010 at 17:15
I have been using a best filter to fill the water tanks of my caravan for years, also put it in line for all water into the caravan.
Makes a big difference with the shower when there is bad water and highly clorinated water.
Ted
FollowupID: 687501

Follow Up By: Member - Alastair D (NSW) - Thursday, May 20, 2010 at 17:25

Thursday, May 20, 2010 at 17:25
Ditto.
We have a BEST 1 micron filter and always use it to fill the camper or troopy tanks. Never had bad water or tank problems even during 7 months travelling through Russia and Central Asia. Adds a little effort but well worth it. I have a set of hoses with click fittings that make storage easy and setup quick.
Alastair

FollowupID: 687505

Sponsored Links