MITCHELL RIVER NATIONAL PARK VIC

Submitted: Thursday, Oct 16, 2003 at 15:40
ThreadID: 7862 Views:2305 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
going to mitchell river melbourne cup weekend wanting to know if their are any secluded spots besides the river any help would be much appreciated regards rob
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: BJ 71 - Thursday, Oct 16, 2003 at 16:18

Thursday, Oct 16, 2003 at 16:18
HI there Robert,

I have visited Mitchell River NP, although it was a few years ago, from memory the only secluded spots near the river were walk in only, although the walk was not that far, why log onto the Parks Victoria site for more info.

AnswerID: 34048

Reply By: JohnR - Friday, Oct 17, 2003 at 08:58

Friday, Oct 17, 2003 at 08:58
Robert,

This is a beautiful part of the state and although am from the west I have travelled here a bit at ground level, kayaking.

Main access to the river would be on the western side up the Dargo road from Glenaladale. above the confluence with the Dargo River, the Mitchel is actually the Wonnangatta River. It is usually so clean too.

If you proceeded right out to the Waterford bridge the Wonnangatta is quite a small river in comparison. On the way there are smaller tracks heading off to the right particularly one, the Angusvale Track to a once proposed dam site that has one of Victorias best whitewater kayaking courses the Slalom Rapid. Twelve kilometres further down river is the Amphitheatre Rapid a big noisy one at Billy Goat Bend, stretches 200 metres of potentailly big water but cliffs bar access to a secluded spot like at the Angasvale Track. I think the Angasvale track is at the northern end of the National Park, but gets right in to the river side or used to.

The other area western side of the river is in the Glenaladale National Park but little seclusion is available, but the last of the good rapids on this beautiful river, called the Final Fling is a ripper too!! Only a hundred metres or so from the carpark over rocks though. Have swum here more than once.

If you really crave seclusion, there is the Bullumwaal side of the river access from the Bullumwaal-Lindenow road. I know little of the access that side, and the maps show tortuous tracks in to the river. The area was being prospected and occasional gold dredge operators may be seen there along the river with snorkel. There are huts along the bank occasionally too.

Be great to go back there soon Robert, I hope you will enjoy it.

John
AnswerID: 34122

Follow Up By: ROBERT - Friday, Oct 17, 2003 at 12:19

Friday, Oct 17, 2003 at 12:19
hi john tthanks for all your information i have hiked the river for 4 days once before fell in love with the place have also camped their a few times but never had a chance to 4wd around it going up long wend expect alot of people to be their have found secluded places their but not near the river this place is one of my favourite places thanks again

robert
FollowupID: 24572

Reply By: Tony - Friday, Oct 17, 2003 at 09:31

Friday, Oct 17, 2003 at 09:31
Another good way into the northern end of the NP is from Seldom Seen and Friday Spur Track. There is a couple of camping spots near Wallers Hut on the river. From there you can head further south on Gidley Track down to Tabberabbera Road
AnswerID: 34126

Sponsored Links