Deep Cycle Batteries, what are the best for money?

Submitted: Thursday, May 20, 2010 at 19:33
ThreadID: 78622 Views:4177 Replies:6 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
hi folks

I have got two 6V, 230A/h batteries (US Type) in my camper (in series they fit better in the box), bought them from Battery World 1,5 years ago.

I charge them with big solar on the roof, and discharge with Engel 38l, and my laptop for 3-4 hours when its dark, so they have a good live actually.

But I have the feeling they are getting weak, doesn't take long and the voltage has dropped to cut off.

Does anybody has experiences with that US type, are they ok or rubbish? And what would you say are the best brands for money?

thanks for any suggestion

Chris
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ianw - Thursday, May 20, 2010 at 19:52

Thursday, May 20, 2010 at 19:52
What is a "US Type" battery?

Ian
AnswerID: 417423

Follow Up By: pop2jocem - Thursday, May 20, 2010 at 21:11

Thursday, May 20, 2010 at 21:11
Might be a mob called US Battery Company
FollowupID: 687555

Reply By: ChipPunk - Thursday, May 20, 2010 at 21:11

Thursday, May 20, 2010 at 21:11
Ditto!
The two O's could be rated as 0's.

There is a D which is probably better.

Though I am assuming AGM.
And though they are generally "superior" to wet cells, they cannot be abused as much.
AnswerID: 417445

Reply By: Maîneÿ . . .- Friday, May 21, 2010 at 00:04

Friday, May 21, 2010 at 00:04
Chris, why not contact Battery World and get them tested, if your not in the area of a battery world shop then go to anyone with battery sales or the like and get them tested, find out their condition first hand.

How about running the fridge of 240v for a few days and let the solar system charge the battery system fully while not having any competition from the fridge, it may make a big difference.

What type of solar regulator do you have ??

Maîneÿ . . .
AnswerID: 417473

Reply By: Chris@forum - Friday, May 21, 2010 at 12:29

Friday, May 21, 2010 at 12:29
hi there, thanks,
well on the bill they are called "US Series red 6V 232A/h", could be internal name of Battery World.

Yes, I get them tested, but I doubt at the BW shop they are honest with that result. I have been ones in there and they have shown me their test instrument.

Is it so easy to test the health of a battery?
There are so many variables, first of all capacity. At the BW shop they connect to any battery there is to a little hand tester for a few seconds and say, oh, its in great shape.

So AGM are good ones? There are many of them on ebay.

ok, I will charge them fully, doesn't take long, got 2x Kyocera 130Watt, and that charger is Jaycars Powertech MP3129

Chris

AnswerID: 417530

Follow Up By: Chris@forum - Friday, May 21, 2010 at 12:55

Friday, May 21, 2010 at 12:55
I see, AGM means absorbed glass mat, that is not really necessary, have good access and ventilation in the box.

I found that here quit interesting, a dealer page

There are cheap Trojans at ebay, 220$ for 225A/h, great price!
FollowupID: 687620

Follow Up By: ChipPunk - Friday, May 21, 2010 at 17:50

Friday, May 21, 2010 at 17:50
Chris - nice link. I like what they wrote.
(Though I know of one Gel-Cel brand that was "the only reliable battery" in Darwin etc for UPS applications.)

My battery supplier recommended their an all-rounder 105AH 760CCA dual terminal wet-cell ($198) else a 120AH AGM for $330 (I think "Shimatsu; measured as 840 cranking Amps @ ~20C). Both are deep cycle types.

Generally they recommend Deka for AGM. They too have reservations about other US AGM brands.
FollowupID: 687647

Reply By: LindsayC - Friday, May 21, 2010 at 19:44

Friday, May 21, 2010 at 19:44
US batteries are manufactured in the USA by the US Battery company. They are quality product that should last for many years I have seen them 8 years old and still ok . They have large capacity and if you are only charging from solar it may not be enough. With 230 a/h you need to charge atleast 10% 23 amps. You may need to use a battery charge to bring them back to full capacity. Under charging batteries can also shorten there life
AnswerID: 417580

Follow Up By: Maîneÿ . . .- Friday, May 21, 2010 at 20:31

Friday, May 21, 2010 at 20:31
Lindsay,
I can't agree with you, because with a solar power system of 2 x 130 Watt (~15 Amps) Kyocera panels, when the battery is charged, it will power the accessories up to ~15 Amp draw all day because the solar system will be backing up the current used when the sun is shining at optimum conditions

A fridge which draws ~8 Amps and runs on a 50% duty cycle, (larger Engal - Waeco's) will be using only 25% of the capacity the solar system is capable of producing during the day

The battery will only be powering the accessories at night, then next morning the solar will again replace the current used at night well before lunchtime, then maintain the battery charged till night time again, this goes on daily when there is sunshine

The battery system won't be undercharged with any decent solar regulator
The batteries will remain at a fully charged state during the day

Maîneÿ . . .
FollowupID: 687660

Reply By: Chris@forum - Saturday, May 22, 2010 at 21:00

Saturday, May 22, 2010 at 21:00
thanks guys for the other recommendations and info about US type, I will
compare prices.

well the regulator charges them up until full, was 14,3 V and now I raised from the setting "sealed gel batteries "to 14,8V, which should be standard for the wet batteries.

When they are full I see "bulk charge" on the display, LED is green, and yes 14. something amps are going in on a sunny morning. I also have a connection to the front alternator over a battery isolator, so when I drive they get charged as well. That smart isolator disconnects only when voltage goes down on both batteries, so I am a bit concerned about that the starter battery gets overcharged by the panels after driving, because the high voltage stays on and batteries stay connected. I guess I will switch that thing manuell to give the starter battery a break.
I see some battery acid drops on the top of my batteries, think there might be something to get checked on Monday

Chris
AnswerID: 417729

Sponsored Links