Outback Road Update

Submitted: Thursday, May 20, 2010 at 19:56
ThreadID: 78624 Views:3672 Replies:3 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Just completed 7400km trip.
Yunta to Arkaroola Mostly Graded with some corrugations Loose gravel causing stone damage to trailers and under-body (Shock absorber Housing etc) I broke my rear screen with a stone bouncing off the camper trailer.

Oodnadatta Track
Good condition not too many corrugations watch the DIPs some are sharp

Mareenee Loop
Good condition Freshly Graded ok in 2wd vehicle

Plenty Highway.
Roadwork west of Jervis. Road in Very good condition. Narrow after the QLD Border but still smooth.

The Roads are the best condition at the moment All have been repaired since floods.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Teege (NSW) - Thursday, May 20, 2010 at 20:18

Thursday, May 20, 2010 at 20:18
Wayne

Thanks for that. We head off out that way in a couple of weeks. Hope you got everything out of the trip you were hoping for.

teege
AnswerID: 417431

Follow Up By: Member - Wayne B (NSW) - Thursday, May 20, 2010 at 20:35

Thursday, May 20, 2010 at 20:35
I enjoyed the trip but I tried to fit too much into it. Next time I will stay longer in one place instead of traveling most of the time.

Also I would do more bush camping rather then camp Grounds. Most facilities are only average and Most Powered sites are very small and cramped.

Yularu CV Park was good so too Kings Canyon.

William creek and Arkaroola were very average IMOP.

We did the Plenty Highway from Alice to Boullia in around 8 1/2 Hours non stop execpt at Jervois for Fuel. Boullia is a lovely little town. The Motel and CV park are immaculate.
FollowupID: 687547

Follow Up By: 2000 Red Rodeo - Thursday, May 20, 2010 at 22:46

Thursday, May 20, 2010 at 22:46
Hi Wayne

We returned from our trip a couple of weeks ago which we got to see a lot of the areas you mentioned.

Agree with your comments about the C/parks at Yularu and Kings Canyon, especially enjoyed the C/P at Kings Canyon, very laid back, enjoyed the pool as well as the show with dinner at the Hotel. I was a bit disappointed with how controlled everything is at Ayers Rock and The Olgas but to be honest not surprised.

Instead of using the Mareenee loop we went through Boggy Hole which ended up taking 6 days to get through due to recent rain/river levels raising and falling. But we had a great time all the same - actually it was probably the highlight of the trip.

Did you get out to Dalhousie Springs? A magic spot!!

When we travelled the Oodnadatta Track it was closed from WC to Maree due to water over the road which was disappointing. I thought WC was ok - we took a flight over Lake Eyre while there, although we didn't stay the night as we went onto Coober Pedy incase any more roads were closed. What was it you didn't like about WC.

We didn't get to Arkaroola, however it is on my to do list. What didn't you like about the place. Having not travelled there I am curious?

The highlight was getting to enjoy the desert looking so green. The downside was that we didn't get to see a lot of places due to road closures due to flooding. All up a great trip. Next time I hope we get to Innaminka, Birdsville, etc.

A trip out there is always fantastic. I can't wait to do it all again some time.

Regards

Geoff

FollowupID: 687570

Follow Up By: Member - Wayne B (NSW) - Saturday, May 22, 2010 at 15:42

Saturday, May 22, 2010 at 15:42
Red Rodeo
Hi Mate. Sounds like you had quite an adventure.

Arkaroola camping area was very average. Loved the Flinders however I think I would camp somewhere else other then Arkaroola. The camp ground is rough / rocky and cramped, facilities are reasonable

We are planning on going to Birdsville for the Races via Cameron's Corner and back through Innaminka

Cheers
Wayne
FollowupID: 687753

Follow Up By: Member - Wayne B (NSW) - Saturday, May 22, 2010 at 15:53

Saturday, May 22, 2010 at 15:53
Red Rodeo

WC Camping ground was ok but facilities were average or at least my wife thought they were.

Dalhousie Springs not this time Its on the MUST DO list though

Cheers
Wayne
FollowupID: 687757

Reply By: Member - Wayne B (NSW) - Thursday, May 20, 2010 at 20:22

Thursday, May 20, 2010 at 20:22
FYI Current Diesel Fuel Prices
Yunta 1.45
William Creek 1.86
Oodnadatta 1.86
Eridunda 1.71
Yulara 1.63
Kings Canyon 1.73
Alice Springs 1.47
Jervois 1.89
Boulia 1.45
Bedourie 1.68
Windorah 1.43
Quilpie 1.49
Nyngan 1.36

AnswerID: 417433

Follow Up By: Fone - Thursday, May 20, 2010 at 21:42

Thursday, May 20, 2010 at 21:42
Prices are alot more reasonable than expected. Diesel was 1.33 in Brisbane on the weekend, so 1.86 at Oodnadatta is good.

Thank you for the road up dates and camp ground info, we are heading a similar route soon.

Fiona
FollowupID: 687560

Follow Up By: Member - Fred B (NT) - Thursday, May 20, 2010 at 22:49

Thursday, May 20, 2010 at 22:49
Unfortunately they won't stay that way; fuel prices will increase rapidly now that the AUD$ has dropped dramatically. Fuel companies won't wait for new loads before prices go up.
regards
Fred B
VKS 737: Mobile/Selcall 1334

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 687572

Reply By: Richard W (NSW) - Friday, May 21, 2010 at 08:24

Friday, May 21, 2010 at 08:24
Wayne,

Just did a similar trip to the North Flinders and Coober Pedy and return with a group of artists. Two nights Kinchegar NP, seven nights at Grindell's hut (I took in all the supplies for 5 people in my camper), two nights Arkaroola, one night Maree, two nights Coober Pedy.
Plenty of time to stop and smell the daisy's. ;)

Also found the roads in pretty good nick but got plenty of stone chips to the trailer. Also popped a couple of rivetts but had a cordless drill and rivet gun on board but no other issues.

The road into Grindell's was very rough up the creek bed and the loop was closed passed the hut. The whole area around Grindells was closed for a week after we left as shooters were going in to clean out the feral animals.

The whole of the area we travelled on this trip is vibrant at the moment after all the rain in comparison to last year when we were in the same area. A lot of the lakes are full or filling with those that haven't recieved the water from the north having some surface water and from local creeks.
AnswerID: 417497

Follow Up By: Member - Wayne B (NSW) - Saturday, May 22, 2010 at 15:46

Saturday, May 22, 2010 at 15:46
I did not do much in the Flinders this time. I am planning on going back and spending 6 or 7 days in that area.

I tried to fit too much into my trip this time. Live and learn they say.

Cheers
Wayne
FollowupID: 687754

Sponsored Links