1st Weekend (sort of) away....

Submitted: Friday, May 21, 2010 at 20:59
ThreadID: 78649 Views:3027 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Finally on our first test run for the van! As I work Sundays it had to be a Friday/Sat night trip.

So here we are at Hat Head, kicking back with a drink and watching the footy. Had a fish on on the beach and lazily bought fish and chips for dinner. Sounds great but hasnt been without drama !

As we were driving out of the driveway, we scraped the edging and got a flat tire! What a great start LOL

We had a choice of sites when we got here so picked the larger one with no other vans around so that our first efforts of backing the 22ft into the site was a bit easier. Luckily there was no-one around to watch us digging into the grass and then the road with the van...there was a little bit of a dip. In with no more mishap though.

Had to go up the road as we realised the fitting was missing from the hose...luckily it wasn't an expensive item we needed. Have got the tv and dvd up and running as its a bit stormy outside and not fit for sitting there. Picture is a bit 'crap' but certainly watchable. Still figuring out a few things, such as what the wires coming from the wall near the tv are. And tomorrow we will try out the hot water system. Tonight we were glad for the amenities block.

Tomorrow is another day and I'm sure we'll have a few more interesting things happen...(such as where is the bottle opener for the beer), and we've already had a few of "Im sure I put that in". We are planning a must have list for next time :)

Anyway, the few caravanners we have met here have been lovely and even wanted to look inside our 11 yr oldish van! Most of the rest here are very modern and spiffy LOL

Still reading the forum avidly to try and gain some knowledge. These battery and electrical things are still doing my head in....
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - barbara M (NSW) - Friday, May 21, 2010 at 21:21

Friday, May 21, 2010 at 21:21
I hope you have a great time. The more times you go the less things you forget. It is a great lifestyle it is just a rat that many of us still have to work to get the money for the holidays. Well that is the reason we work antway.
barb
AnswerID: 417599

Reply By: petengail - Saturday, May 22, 2010 at 07:38

Saturday, May 22, 2010 at 07:38
as your at hat head take a short drive down to sandon river its pretty good gravel road, well was last time we were on it. lovely little place, you might want to camp there one day
AnswerID: 417626

Follow Up By: Dave(NSW) - Saturday, May 22, 2010 at 10:24

Saturday, May 22, 2010 at 10:24
I think thats near Brooms Head?
GU RULES!!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 687718

Follow Up By: petengail - Saturday, May 22, 2010 at 12:04

Saturday, May 22, 2010 at 12:04
disregard my previous post please... as dave correctly noted, i got it wrong. should have got management to post a reply, she's never wrong lol
FollowupID: 687730

Reply By: Gazal Champion - Saturday, May 22, 2010 at 10:46

Saturday, May 22, 2010 at 10:46
Hi Selina V,
Good to hear your out there and doing it. I'll be doing that myself next month.
Hat head is a lovely spot and that is where we took our van for a shakedown cruise when we first got it. (second hand) We live between Kempsey and Port Macquarie.

The age of the van is not important so long as it has wheels and tows and you can have fun in it. If you have ever seen the inside of John Rooths (Caravan and Motorhome magazine) old 1962 Viscount, which he calls Vicky, you will see that it has been done up in side and looks a treat. The update was merely paint and mainly de'cor but it came up well. The important thing is having fun isn't it.

Anyhow well done and don't stop. Oh and remember that I have found that it is always cheaper to stay out on the road and just travel to the next town instead of going back home, which is often a long way away. Cockeyed philosophy I know but i am sticking with it.
Cheers, Bruce
At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 417639

Follow Up By: Selina V - Sunday, May 23, 2010 at 00:16

Sunday, May 23, 2010 at 00:16
Thanks everyone. We have definitely had a learning experience... Forgot the simplest of things like....sugar lol

Hoses we dont know where they fit, pump kept going till we realised we had no water in the tanks lol Seriously, its like dumb and dumber do caravanning. But all in all its very liberating and really feels like a proper weekend for a change. We'll stick with it :)
FollowupID: 687833

Sponsored Links