Overheating - Different Slant

Submitted: Saturday, May 22, 2010 at 07:51
ThreadID: 78654 Views:2315 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
There have been a lot of threads on causes of vehicle overheating. Most have mentioned the radiator cores being blocked or the fins being blocked by insects/mud.
In my Kia Sorento I had a different slant on radiator 'blockage'. Instead of the tubes being blocked, thereby reducing coolant flow, they had expanded and distorted the fins so much that they blocked the airflow through the radiator. The edges of the radiator had also bowed out instead of being straight. No one knows if it was a radiator manufacturing fault or happened in the vehicle. After the radiator was replaced the airflow through it was amazing and so was the lack of overheating. The radiator had to be removed to see the problem because the A/C condenser covers the front and the fan shroud and fan covers the rear.
So don't just get your radiator 'rodded' out, also check that the fins are not distorted and blocked .
Rod
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Mfewster(SA) - Saturday, May 22, 2010 at 08:29

Saturday, May 22, 2010 at 08:29
That's incredible. What material was the core made from and is the replacement made from the same?
I always look at posts on radiator overheating due to some expeperience a few years ago. My problem (60 series LC) resulted in my doing much cleaning of cores etc without improvement. Then we found that the fan clutch was locking up. Problem immediately fixed.
AnswerID: 417629

Follow Up By: Member - Rod N (QLD) - Saturday, May 22, 2010 at 11:54

Saturday, May 22, 2010 at 11:54
It's aluminium, both the same, the tubes are oval running front to back. I tend to think manufacturing defect as there are lots of others that do not overheat. Fan clutch and thermostat both changed early in the troubleshooting.
FollowupID: 687728

Follow Up By: ChipPunk - Saturday, May 22, 2010 at 16:55

Saturday, May 22, 2010 at 16:55
LOL! Classic!

A mate was involved in a local car forum where they chanted Al over Cu despite lower conductivities, higher over weight etc. Fatigue was one of my mates mentions, but the forum took the "proof" offere by another site - the site of an Al radiator manufacturer....

Who would have guessed?

(Not that I mean to generalise etc, and that design/manufacturing flaw has probably now been overcome.... )
FollowupID: 687768

Reply By: Member - Alan John C (WA) - Saturday, May 22, 2010 at 10:57

Saturday, May 22, 2010 at 10:57
This is very interesting I wonder if a pressure build up would leed to this as radiator cap should release pressure build up.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 417641

Follow Up By: Member - Rod N (QLD) - Saturday, May 22, 2010 at 11:57

Saturday, May 22, 2010 at 11:57
My thoughts too. Cap appeared to be working as overflow bottle level went up and down. I would have thought the tubes would rupture and not just expand if there was so much pressure and that other things would give way.
FollowupID: 687729

Reply By: Member - Alastair D (NSW) - Sunday, May 23, 2010 at 08:38

Sunday, May 23, 2010 at 08:38
It is very common to pressure tested radiators to check for leaks. I wonder if someone overdid the air pressure either when manufactured or later?

alastair
AnswerID: 417752

Sponsored Links