what would make a manifold go/break ??

how bad is this ??

what couldve caused this ??

once replaced is i t fine ??

thanks for any help , cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Ian H (NSW) - Saturday, May 22, 2010 at 16:31

Saturday, May 22, 2010 at 16:31
Mate, I think you need to supply a bit more detail about the event for anyone to be able to help at all.
AnswerID: 417679

Follow Up By: luxyboy - Saturday, May 22, 2010 at 18:11

Saturday, May 22, 2010 at 18:11
cant really tell you much more mate, than its a 2.8ltr diesel (recently brought) 1997 model and ive only just noticed that it has had the manifold replaced on right side / top side of motor really dont know what else to write hence the short post

any help is appreciated
FollowupID: 687772

Reply By: Ted G - Saturday, May 22, 2010 at 19:46

Saturday, May 22, 2010 at 19:46
I had a 80 series Landcruiser that had to have the manifold replaced, cause was the bolts to the exhaust broke due to warping apparently a common fault on that model.
It was replaced under warrenty by Toyota took 4 weeks to come out from Japan.
Regards
Ted
AnswerID: 417717

Follow Up By: luxyboy - Sunday, May 23, 2010 at 10:40

Sunday, May 23, 2010 at 10:40
thx 4 reply ..

was speaking to a mate lastnight and he said coz can be from over heating (say a bad or blocked/not working radiator) manifold gets to hot and if u hit a bump in road or the likes it can jolt it enough that it just simply cracks , apparently you have different types cast iron, aluminium/zinc?? etc

still wouldnt mind a few other opinions on why these things happen or how bad they are and can they lead to other probs ...

thx again
FollowupID: 687853

Follow Up By: Wherehegon - Sunday, May 23, 2010 at 20:20

Sunday, May 23, 2010 at 20:20
You would have to cook the crapper out it to crack the manifold, the head will warp/crack first. If you dot know the servicing history get it all done (radiator)then you know every thing will be ok, depending on klms I would replace all the hoses as well then its all covered, I do this with mine even thou its serviced every 5k with out fail (oil & filter), but at 100k all gets replaced, less chance of blowing a hose (especially on hot days when their working harder) and I always use genuine hoses, thicker and better quality then after market ones, you can check this out for yourself. Regards Steve M
FollowupID: 687924

Reply By: Wherehegon - Sunday, May 23, 2010 at 20:13

Sunday, May 23, 2010 at 20:13
Engine mount broken on the drivers side so the flex in the motor is extreme and the exhaust cant flex as much. This happened to mine. They generally wont crack for any other reason and they are steel not alloy.Put a set of extractors on it and a free flow exhaust and it will go heaps better, more pulling power you might gain an extra 5 k top speed which will still be only around the 125k mark with no head wind on a flat road lol, gutless motor but great off road, painfull for towing but with regular oil changes done every 5k with out fail or the big end bearings on 3 and 4 WILL FAIL if you dont this includes filter, if this is done you will easliy do 500k+ out of the old bus, mine was still going strong with 300k on it when I sold it and still going today. You see heaps advertised with NEW MOTOR, this is mainly due to lack of servicing. Dont turbo it not worth the $$$$ and will leave it less reliable.Regards Steve
AnswerID: 417872

Sponsored Links