2din car pc interference with UHF

Submitted: Sunday, May 23, 2010 at 10:13
ThreadID: 78689 Views:2793 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I have a double din car pc in the GU Patrol which is causing interference to my UHF radio, does anyone know of a filter that could be available to eliminate this?
The UHF is a remote head and the head is on the facia below the car pc.

thanks, Geoff.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Christopher P (NSW) - Sunday, May 23, 2010 at 10:26

Sunday, May 23, 2010 at 10:26
ask at a car audio place or jaycar, as they have filters for most if not all.
AnswerID: 417768

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Sunday, May 23, 2010 at 12:37

Sunday, May 23, 2010 at 12:37
Geoff,

This may be a hard one to fix.

Ensure that both units have a good clean earth connection, also that the aerial cable is in good condition, the outer braid especially.

The interference is probably not due to the proximity of pc and uhf head, but due to poor filtering at the pc power supply allowing interference from it to run through the 12v wiring to the UHF transceiver. To check this out will require connecting either the radio or the pc to a seperate battery - if the problem goes away when they are fed from different batteries it points directly to the shared 12v supply and a couple of filters in the supply lines, fitted close to each unit, should help a lot. As said above, these are available from places like Jaycar, DS, etc.

If however the pc's power supply, or the pc itself is radiating at around 470 MHz, those 12v filters won't help. Suggest find a mate with uhf and bring the vehicles close together - if your pc is radiating, the interference should be heard in your mate's uhf. If this is the problem, there isn't an easy fix, so hope that the interference is through the 12v lines.

HTH

John

J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 417780

Follow Up By: Member - Christopher P (NSW) - Sunday, May 23, 2010 at 17:34

Sunday, May 23, 2010 at 17:34
DSE is slowly getting rid of the electronic components as there is no money in it and to train the staff is more drain on profit, but there are still quite a few who till stock stuff like that. Altronic's Is another good one.
FollowupID: 687899

Reply By: Dave(NSW) - Sunday, May 23, 2010 at 14:34

Sunday, May 23, 2010 at 14:34
Geoff,
Make sure that the power wire or speaker wires from the PC aren't touching the uhf aerial lead try and keep them as far away as possible.
Cheers Dave..
GU RULES!!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 417798

Reply By: Squizzy - Monday, May 24, 2010 at 14:24

Monday, May 24, 2010 at 14:24
Thanks to all, at least I have somewhere to turn now to try to sort this problem out.

Geoff.
AnswerID: 417938

Sponsored Links